Sign in with
Your question

Is it okay to install hdd's close to each other in hdd cage?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2012 2:14:37 PM

Sorry for the noob question, but I cannot find answers online ( or I can't formulate the question well enough....). I have a Corsair Carbide 500R, the hdd's are removable, there are two intake fans in front, so If I take one of them off I have unrestricted airflow. I only have an ssd an an hdd, what is the best combination, remove lower hdd cage or upper?
a c 349 G Storage
November 23, 2012 2:22:39 AM

Yes, it's OK to mount HDD's in adjacent slots. However, it makes sense that separating them by one empty slot may give marginally better cooling.

But there's another point I think. You seem to want to do this just so that you can remove one HDD rack, leaving the airflow path from that front fan unimpeded. What you're not considering is this: the reason the HDD cages are mounted right after the front fans is so that the fan air flow will cool the HDD's very well before the air travels further into the case. The case is designed for some airflow interference by the HDD's. So changing it as you suggest will give you slightly improved case ventilation but may cost you reduced cooling of the HDD's. Consider that trade-off in making your choice.
m
l
November 23, 2012 3:47:58 AM

Paperdoc said:
Yes, it's OK to mount HDD's in adjacent slots. However, it makes sense that separating them by one empty slot may give marginally better cooling.

But there's another point I think. You seem to want to do this just so that you can remove one HDD rack, leaving the airflow path from that front fan unimpeded. What you're not considering is this: the reason the HDD cages are mounted right after the front fans is so that the fan air flow will cool the HDD's very well before the air travels further into the case. The case is designed for some airflow interference by the HDD's. So changing it as you suggest will give you slightly improved case ventilation but may cost you reduced cooling of the HDD's. Consider that trade-off in making your choice.

ok, i'll bear that in mind thanks, I'll leave the hdd cages alone, problem is I can't seem to understand how to install the ssd in the first place!
the drive bays are 2.5" compatible, but looking at it I have no idea how to put the screws in.
m
l
Related resources
a c 349 G Storage
November 25, 2012 1:45:11 AM

I don;t have that case, nor an SSD, so I'm not much help. But one idea to look at: HDD's often have screw holes for mounting on the BOTTOM as well as on sides. How about your SSD? Are there matching holes in the HDD cage?
m
l
December 2, 2012 12:15:36 AM

Paperdoc said:
I don;t have that case, nor an SSD, so I'm not much help. But one idea to look at: HDD's often have screw holes for mounting on the BOTTOM as well as on sides. How about your SSD? Are there matching holes in the HDD cage?

yes, I managed to install it. Runs great. I left the hhd cages, used them as space for the data and power cables. Since there are two front panel intake fans, will it disturb the airflow because of the cables that block the air?
m
l
a c 349 G Storage
December 3, 2012 2:11:53 AM

A few cables in the airflow path don't disturb it much, but a messy bunch can. If you want, try using nylon cable ties to gather all the wires and cables passing through the space into one bundle, and anchor it to the side to leave one clear path through the space for air. For that matter, I have used for this purpose a few scavenged twist-ties from accessory power cords on new devices, instead of fancy nylon cable ties.

I once had cables cause a problem. I had been changing things around and realized that my fans were suddenly making a lot more noise. I checked the fan speeds and internal temps, and sure enough, the temps were higher than before. Then I realized that, in my changes, I had managed to push a bunch of external cables at the back of the tower into the exit path of one of my rear exhaust fans. This was OUTSIDE my case, but right behind it. I moved the cables away from the exit slots, and the temps (and fan speeds) dropped.
m
l
!