PC Hacked?

Beewitched

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I recently had a house guest from out of state and noticed odd little things happening with my pc. I discovered my remote access had been turned on then a couple nights later I was online and got a message from my son on Yahoo Messenger which was odd since he had gone to sleep hours earlier. I exchanged a couple messages and asked what he was doing awake and getting no reply I went to his room He was asleep and not online!
The following morning when I checked my email a message with a garbled subject title had been sent to all my contacts...It was then I found the Yahoo feature "View Recent Log In Activity' and the night before there was a log in to my account from Yahoo Mobile in the same state my house guest lives in....this is the only person I know from that state.....I'm not sure what to do? :hello:

Immediately change ALL of your passwords for ALL of your accounts. Make sure YOU and ONLY YOU know the password. But before you do...do the following (as changing your password with an infected system would just give them the password...)

Also sounds like a virus/malware/ and or someone hacking your account.

Download Microsoft Security Essentials (free from microsoft website) as well as Malware Bytes Anti Malware (free if you google it). Run them both and make sure they clean everything.

jeremy88

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
What Chainzsaw said is good, only thing is, downloading an Anti-Virus on a compromised system doesn't do much good. Rather download MSE and MBAM on another computer and save it on a memory stick. Start your computer in safe-mode and install the AV's. Superantispyware is also a really good AV btw.

When you do go about changing your passwords, again I suggest doing it on another computer & network.

If you already have an AV installed, plug out your internet connection(after getting the latest definitions), restart and scan your system.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Your house guest doesn't sound like much of a friend, more like a creeper.

I don't think you have a virus. The remote PC part could have something to do with it, but basically it sounds like they have all of your passwords. You said you recieved an email from your son (who was asleep). That "friend" has his passwords. How many other passwords did this person take? What would he have access to by staying with you? I would unplug the internet from the computer and change all of my passwords. Your son should change his at that time too. If you aren't connected to the internet when you change the passwords, other computers won't see what it becomes. You need to change them all at the same time or your password changes will just go to your email, which the creeper can see.

fullforce

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
his house guest could be a good friend, could just be a coincidence ;)

lol but on a serious level he could have had a virus on his USB stick and not know?

^but unlikely, your "friend" isnt really your friend.

Beewitched

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011

My account I am almost certain has been hacked..it was logged into using Yahoo Mobile on a mobile device from the state my recent houseguest lives in....I am learning as I go here and am so thankful for the reply..