Bad PSU causing thermal event

mwhidden

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Hello,

I have an Intel D865PERL Mobo with a P4 2.8GHz. I was having an issue with the computer powering off and coming back with the BIOS complaining about a thermal event. I ran the box for a while with Intel's active temperature monitor, but did not observe any overheating, even under heavy CPU load.

I checked the MB 4-pin power plug, and noticed some scorching, so I replaced the PSU in hopes that it was the problem.

Computer seems fine now, but I wonder why a bad PSU would cause (apparently) erroneous thermal events. What's the connection to temp and/or sensors?

mwhidden

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010

I know it is definitely the PSU, since the issue went away with the new PSU, as noted in the O.P. No bulging caps on the mobo, but I found one in the PSU. I was just curious why a bad PSU would cause a thermal event (vs some sort of "voltage" event or...?)

mwhidden

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010

I suppose that makes some sense, but the thermal event seemed to occur so suddenly. The temperature monitor software never saw the temps rise. Temps are normal, then instantly the box is powered off and when it comes back up, the BIOS says a thermal event occured. If the high temps are genuine, the spiked from normal to excessive in less time than it took the monitor to see them going up.