Need help choosing graphics card! Suggestions :D ?

Hello Everyone!
I'm planning my next build which so far involves the following:

Corsair Obsidian 800D case
MSI Big Bang-X Power mobo
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz cpu
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 psu

What can you guys suggest for me, say between 300-400 dollars?
I already saw the articles posted for this on the website (Toms Hardware monthly GPU round-up) but wasn't too positive about it.
I have always used Nvidia but I am now considering switching to ATI.
Would you suggest weaker cards in SLI/Crossfire? Or heavier solo cards?

Side question: What do you think about the PSU? anything cheaper for the same quality?
12 answers Last reply
More about need choosing graphics card suggestions
  1. God, I want that case so bad... I've been waiting for it to drop in price for EVER.

Anyway, for 400 bucks I don't think you can go wrong with dual 460s ;)
  2. From THG most resent "Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July 2010"

For your price range: Radeon HD 5870

Get a XFX Radeon HD 5870 1024MB DDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16.

That PSU rocks. Might try to get a modular version, to limit unused wires.

And what about RAM?
  3. If you're going with a Crossfire setup, I wouldn't skimp on the PSU.

For $400 you could get an HD5870, which would be the best at your price range.
  4. The case was the first to go on the list. I'm budgeting around it LOL.
    I thought about dual 460's for sure.... However I am worried that like my 280, they might run hot (which has sometimes led to artifacts in my case). What do you think (I see you have them)?
    Thanks ;)
  5. OK so I'm juggling between dual GTX 460's and an HD5870, I'll try to find some relevant benchmark records and see how they differ.
    @foscooter: I'm thinking about G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800).
  6. thegoat said:
    The case was the first to go on the list. I'm budgeting around it LOL.
    I thought about dual 460's for sure.... However I am worried that like my 280, they might run hot (which has sometimes led to artifacts in my case). What do you think (I see you have them)?
    Thanks ;)

I have 260's ha.

Anyway, you're not going to run into heat issues with that case.

The 5870 is a great choice too.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/7
  7. Helltech said:
    I have 260's ha.

Anyway, you're not going to run into heat issues with that case.

The 5870 is a great choice too.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/7

I smell BS in that link. The GTX480/470 don't beat the HD5870/5850 in Crysis.
  8. The 800D is a great case, but you'll be stupid not to give the HAF-X a good look, I really love the USB 3.0 on the front panel.

Graphics wise the GTX 460 SLI/5870 is the only real options, you should also consider 5830 CF though.
  9. Oh no, my bad. They were too busy using ATI's 10.3a drivers when they went out of their way to use nVidia's latest beta.

How nice.
  10. I think I'm sold on the dual 460's. Thank you everyone!

.... Why is there no option for best answer?.............
  11. thegoat said:
    I think I'm sold on the dual 460's. Thank you everyone!

.... Why is there no option for best answer?.............

GTX 460 1gb in SLI is a great choice, and that PSU is a very good one.It should be able to handle them fine.Here is a review for more information:
    http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25498
  12. dual 460s gets my vote. however, if an upgrade atm isnt very necessary, id wait it out for the 475.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Corsair Graphics