Sign in with
Your question

Black Friday <$100 SSD Deals?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2012 3:17:08 PM

Hello, its my first time buying an SSD, and with Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals afoot, there a bunch of great deals on SSDs. Since I know next to nothing on the difference between the brand/model of the MANY SSDs, can any deal hunter point me toward a good deal on a <$100 SSD that gets the most bang for the buck in terms of storage and speed? Thanks!
November 22, 2012 6:12:10 PM

RealBeast said:
At less than $100 you should normally be looking for a 128Gb drive, although the Intel 180Gb would be the best deal at the moment: http://www.logicbuy.com/categorydeals/computers/hard-dr... A small stretch could get you to a 256Gb Samsung 830.

The Intel 330 180 gb seems to be sold out online unfortunately and im not sure i would spend more than 100 for an SSD
m
l
Related resources
a c 317 G Storage
November 22, 2012 6:20:13 PM

Keep watching that logicbuy site and checking Newegg for the latest deals, they have new things going up daily over the next few days. A lot of people have waited for SSD deals until now so they will sell out fast.
m
l
November 22, 2012 6:24:09 PM

RealBeast said:
Keep watching that logicbuy site and checking Newegg for the latest deals, they have new things going up daily over the next few days. A lot of people have waited for SSD deals until now so they will sell out fast.

will do, thanks for the website. im considering the Samsung Electronics Samsung 840 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) 120 sata_6_0_gb 2.5-Inch MZ-7TD120BW for only $90 on amazon and newegg
m
l
November 22, 2012 6:37:18 PM

im not sure i will even buy any SSD any time soon. the more i consider the benefits for the price, the less i think its a good idea. Im sure by this time next year as SSD tech evolves the price will rapidly depreciate as all new technology does. I mean, i spent 85 bucks a few months ago for a speedy 1TB HDD, im hesitant to spend the same amount for 90-120gb
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 22, 2012 6:49:58 PM

Even a slow SSD is better than a fast HDD. My first SSD, an Intel X25M 80Gb that was around $350 beat the heck out of my existing Raid 0 Raptors.

I could never use another computer without an SSD, it is simply the best cheap update for almost any system -- far more benefit than a new video card at a lower price. I have one in every computer I own, which itself is probably a far larger number than is logical. :) 
m
l
November 22, 2012 6:51:35 PM

RealBeast said:
Even a slow SSD is better than a fast HDD. My first SSD, an Intel X25M 80Gb that was around $350 beat the heck out of my existing Raid 0 Raptors.

I could never use another computer without an SSD, it is simply the best cheap update for almost any system -- far more benefit than a new video card at a lower price. I have one in every computer I own, which itself is probably a far larger number than is logical. :) 

What does it affect though.. I use my computer mainly for gaming, and a few second faster loading time isint really worth it if that is all it does
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 22, 2012 7:09:49 PM

Every read, write and seek is faster, latency is almost zero compared to a HDD. Everything on the SSD is faster, I use big drives so all programs and data are on the drives other than giant sequential files like blue ray images. I also use additional SSDs as scratch drives for programs that use a lot of disk access like Photoshop and Premier.

If read/write times, disk access times and latency are unimportant then why does everyone with a HDD want faster spin drives for better performance. A 3500 rpm drive should suffice. Check out this article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/15-years-of-hard-dr...
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 22, 2012 7:12:08 PM

adampcpower said:
Hey, quick question. Is the Samsung Electronics Samsung 840 120 gb a good SSD for 89.99. I just saw on amazon it comes with a free copy of Assassins Creed 3 which i was going to buy anyway, so that makes it a good deal for me. I want to jump on it quickly before it sells out

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-sata_6_0_gb-2...
I would buy it, the drive is only like $30 more than the game. Load your OS, optimize the drive for space ( http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/... ), and load your most played games on it.
m
l
November 22, 2012 7:13:56 PM

I re-read the details of the offer and it must be a Samsung 840 PRO series to get the free copy of the game. What a bummer, i was just about to buy
m
l
a b G Storage
November 22, 2012 7:14:01 PM

adampcpower said:
What does it affect though.. I use my computer mainly for gaming, and a few second faster loading time isint really worth it if that is all it does
Do you play MMOs? Every loading screen just goes away.

Do you do as you're supposed to and shut your computer down regularly? Your boot times will be measured in a handful of seconds.

You'll be able to log on and instantly open anything you want - no waiting for startup programs to load, no waiting on Photoshop to find its panties.

Windows itself feels MILES more responsive - if you don't think that's a thing, you're wrong. The effects are measurable, but more than anything else, they add up to make you go, "Wow, my computer is fast! I'm happy now."
m
l
a b G Storage
November 22, 2012 7:15:15 PM

Then buy the Pro series? It's not much more, still a great deal because of the game, and the drive will be even faster.
m
l
November 22, 2012 7:16:03 PM

DarkSable said:
^Do you play MMOs? Every loading screen just goes away.

Do you do as you're supposed to and shut your computer down regularly? Your boot times will be measured in a handful of seconds.

You'll be able to log on and instantly open anything you want - no waiting for startup programs to load, no waiting on Photoshop to find its panties.

Windows itself feels MILES more responsive - if you don't think that's a thing, you're wrong. The effects are measurable, but more than anything else, they add up to make you go, "Wow, my computer is fast! I'm happy now."

i have never tried a computer with an SSD, so i was just skeptical on its benefits. It seems as though it is totally worth it though. If only i can find a good priced one, around $75 for a decent size, i would go for it
m
l
November 22, 2012 7:25:31 PM

i missed the OCZ Vertex 4 deal on newegg for the 120gb for $75. hope it comes back it stock eventually
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 22, 2012 8:23:58 PM

adampcpower said:
i missed the OCZ Vertex 4 deal on newegg for the 120gb for $75. hope it comes back it stock eventually
There will be other good deals in the next few days. Every year for the past three, Intel has done a rebate on their SSDs around this time that was substantial, so also watch for that to happen, it just might?
m
l
a b G Storage
November 22, 2012 8:47:23 PM

OCZ have finally got their stuff sorted and their current models are great. The Samsung 840 will be better if you can, but you will have no problems with the Vertex 4, I am currently using it as a Windows To Go drive and have had no problems.

Hopefully a good sale comes up soon.
m
l
November 22, 2012 9:36:05 PM

i see decent sales at amazon right now, could anyone recommend/ caution against

Kingston HyperX 3K 120 GB

SanDisk Extreme SSD 120 GB

OCZ Technology 128GB Agility 4

all for around 95-100

also, what is the difference between the Agility 4 and the Vertex 4 from OCZ.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 22, 2012 10:01:13 PM

The difference is a little bit of speed and a little bit of reliability.

Honestly, I don't know that I love any of those drives, but out of them, the OCZ is the best.

(Also, going off of what anti-painkilla said, the 840 pro is the best on the market, followed by the 830, the Vertex 4, and only then, the 840.)
m
l
a b G Storage
November 22, 2012 10:01:15 PM

adampcpower said:
Hello, its my first time buying an SSD, and with Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals afoot, there a bunch of great deals on SSDs. Since I know next to nothing on the difference between the brand/model of the MANY SSDs, can any deal hunter point me toward a good deal on a <$100 SSD that gets the most bang for the buck in terms of storage and speed? Thanks!

You are more knowledgeable about SSDs than most of the people giving you advice. The differences in advertised speeds between brands is meaningless. They are all inflated and you will never come close to them in real life. SSDs are faster but the only time you will notice the extra speed is booting and program launch. After a few days of use you won't notice the increased speed at all because it will be normal for you. The real reason to invest in an SSD is reliability. No moving parts. If that doesn't convince you then use a HDD. BTW, the best buy I know of for an SSD is a Samsung 840 x 256GB including a copy of "FAR CRY 3" for $169.99. Of course it's only a great deal if you are going to buy the game anyway. It's a $50 game so the SSD would only be $120.
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:51:50 AM

hey guys, anyone who ordered stuff on newegg from friday-sunday get their stuff shipped yet or even get a tracking number???? man i scored a intel 330 240gb for $140 on sunday and they havent even shipped yet.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 28, 2012 12:44:54 PM

geekdgreen said:
hey guys, anyone who ordered stuff on newegg from friday-sunday get their stuff shipped yet or even get a tracking number???? man i scored a intel 330 240gb for $140 on sunday and they havent even shipped yet.
I ordered some stuff on the 23rd and they generated a UPS tracking number, but as of now it has not actually shipped.
m
l
November 28, 2012 1:38:57 PM

RealBeast said:
I ordered some stuff on the 23rd and they generated a UPS tracking number, but as of now it has not actually shipped.

atleast you got a tracking number. my orders been stuck at packaging for 3 days.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 28, 2012 1:56:29 PM

geekdgreen said:
atleast you got a tracking number. my orders been stuck at packaging for 3 days.
Sure, but they charged by CC as soon as the tracking number was generated. :) 
m
l
November 28, 2012 9:26:01 PM

RealBeast said:
Sure, but they charged by CC as soon as the tracking number was generated. :) 

lucky bastardooo....whats cc? is that rush proccessing or something.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 28, 2012 9:40:29 PM

ya i ordered stuff on the 26th and its still packaging. sort of annoying.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 28, 2012 9:44:23 PM

geekdgreen said:
lucky bastardooo....whats cc? is that rush proccessing or something.
Not so lucky. LOL

CC is credit card, they charged my credit card and the thing hasn't shipped, although I will not complain because I ordered 2 3Tb HDDs at 89.99 each. I don't really need them any time soon since I still have some left, but I prefer to actually get stuff that I pay for.

edit: and I was impressed by the speed that NCIX.com shipped out of their LA warehouse. I tried to get Newegg to price match and they wouldn't so I saved $20 and ordered a 480Gb Intel 520 SSD from NCIX and it actually shipped the following day and will arrive on Friday.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 28, 2012 9:58:44 PM

RealBeast said:
Not so lucky. LOL

CC is credit card, they charged my credit card and the thing hasn't shipped, although I will not complain because I ordered 2 3Tb HDDs at 89.99 each. I don't really need them any time soon since I still have some left, but I prefer to actually get stuff that I pay for.

edit: and I was impressed by the speed that NCIX.com shipped out of their LA warehouse. I tried to get Newegg to price match and they wouldn't so I saved $20 and ordered a 480Gb Intel 520 SSD from NCIX and it actually shipped the following day and will arrive on Friday.

i also ordered some stuff from tigerdirect on the 26th and i just checked and it was shipped out yesterday. wtf newegg.
m
l
a b G Storage
November 28, 2012 10:59:38 PM

ram1009 said:
You are more knowledgeable about SSDs than most of the people giving you advice. The differences in advertised speeds between brands is meaningless. They are all inflated and you will never come close to them in real life. SSDs are faster but the only time you will notice the extra speed is booting and program launch. After a few days of use you won't notice the increased speed at all because it will be normal for you. The real reason to invest in an SSD is reliability. No moving parts. If that doesn't convince you then use a HDD. BTW, the best buy I know of for an SSD is a Samsung 840 x 256GB including a copy of "FAR CRY 3" for $169.99. Of course it's only a great deal if you are going to buy the game anyway. It's a $50 game so the SSD would only be $120.

A couple things, first sounds like you guys got some pretty good deals on black friday, I was a little too late for mine. Did anyone else see the Agility 4 256GB SSD on sale for $99! I had it in my cart but could get it checked out without and error. It was at tiger direct and their site was super slow.

Second I agree with fact that SSDs can help a lot with reliability most of the tech has been proven solid now. However if you are looking for reliability the Samsung 840 (regular, not pro) is not the way to go. It is using TLC (triple-level cells) for the first time as opposed to the MLC (multi-level (2) cells). It is unknown at this point in time how this effects reliability. It is known that this effect speed, greatly. To the point that not only is the Samsung 840 slower than the 830 series but slower than quite a few older generation SSDs. Again just to be clear this is all about the 840 regular SSD not the 840 pro series.

If you are looking for a good deal then I would look for a vertex 3 drive or an crucial M4 or even the Sandisk Extreme drives.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 28, 2012 11:33:54 PM

j2j663, I agree. I would not buy the 840 until it has a proven track record with TLC. The Samsung 830 and Crucial M4 are two older but proven drives, and as you know reliability is more important than benchmarks -- any SSD is great compared to an old spinner.

I got a couple of good buys, but overall I didn't think that there were many good deals available for long -- not many on sale drives and they went fast. I think that we will see more good deals in the days ahead though.
m
l
November 29, 2012 2:44:22 AM

j2j663 said:
A couple things, first sounds like you guys got some pretty good deals on black friday, I was a little too late for mine. Did anyone else see the Agility 4 256GB SSD on sale for $99! I had it in my cart but could get it checked out without and error. It was at tiger direct and their site was super slow.

Second I agree with fact that SSDs can help a lot with reliability most of the tech has been proven solid now. However if you are looking for reliability the Samsung 840 (regular, not pro) is not the way to go. It is using TLC (triple-level cells) for the first time as opposed to the MLC (multi-level (2) cells). It is unknown at this point in time how this effects reliability. It is known that this effect speed, greatly. To the point that not only is the Samsung 840 slower than the 830 series but slower than quite a few older generation SSDs. Again just to be clear this is all about the 840 regular SSD not the 840 pro series.

If you are looking for a good deal then I would look for a vertex 3 drive or an crucial M4 or even the Sandisk Extreme drives.

im new to ssds but ive read on some customers reviews that the sandisk extreme speeds degraded over time. I do like the samsung 830 with the pre black friday sale going for $90
m
l
November 29, 2012 2:48:11 AM

RealBeast said:
Not so lucky. LOL

OHHH credit card...how could i have missed that lol. But yea its funny how there quick to take your money. But slow to ship it out. I never shopped at newegg during these sales until sunday and quiet frankly am dissapointed in their service.

and yea I tried to get them to price match a samsung 830 that was going for $89.99 at buy.com. But they straight up refused. Never had much experience with NCIX but from the prices Ive seen they usually charge more than newegg...How much were they selling the 480gb ssd for????

What do you think about the Intel 330 Series? I couldnt find much reviews online for the 240gb version.
m
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 29, 2012 12:35:32 PM

Intel 330 is a very good SSD and it has Intel reliability. I really like the toolbox, which Samsung and a few others have for their drives.

I got the 480Gb Intel 520 for $349 no tax and free UPS 3 day. I don't buy much from NCIX, but every now and then they have something.
m
l
!