Genport IO error

when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that the
"genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436 and am
wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta patch. Any info
appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about genport error

    Iggsapur enlightened us with:
    > when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that
    > the "genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436
    > and am wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta
    > patch.

    *) What OS are you using?
    *) Have you tried the following already?
    1. Clean your cache.
    2. Make sure you exit _all_ unneeded background programs.
    3. Download AdAware and run & upgrade it regularly.
    4. Switch to OpenGL.
    5. Defragment your harddisk every week.
    6. Make sure you run the latest official version of UT and/or 2K3.
    7. Upgrade all your drivers to the latest version.
    8. Re-install DirectX.
    9. If you have a Via MoBo, install the 4-in-1 drivers.

    > Any info appreciated.

    Indeed. You tell us NOTHING of your system. Not even the OS. And trust
    me, Linux, Mac, Win95 and WinXP are all very different systems.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Well .... could I have possibly left out a little info here :)

    As far as the OS, I run WinXP Home edition, with SP2 installed. My system is
    an hp pavilion 4560us with 512 meg memory. The system has an ATI Radeon
    320M video card (only 64mb). Hard drive defragged regularly, and Ad-Aware v
    1.05 is run at least daily. That's it. Hopefully this will be a little more
    helpful.
    Thanks
    "MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    > Iggsapur enlightened us with:
    >> when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that
    >> the "genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436
    >> and am wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta
    >> patch.
    >
    > *) What OS are you using?
    > *) Have you tried the following already?
    > 1. Clean your cache.
    > 2. Make sure you exit _all_ unneeded background programs.
    > 3. Download AdAware and run & upgrade it regularly.
    > 4. Switch to OpenGL.
    > 5. Defragment your harddisk every week.
    > 6. Make sure you run the latest official version of UT and/or 2K3.
    > 7. Upgrade all your drivers to the latest version.
    > 8. Re-install DirectX.
    > 9. If you have a Via MoBo, install the 4-in-1 drivers.
    >

    >> Any info appreciated.
    >
    > Indeed. You tell us NOTHING of your system. Not even the OS. And trust
    > me, Linux, Mac, Win95 and WinXP are all very different systems.
    >
    > MeltDown
    > --
    > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    Iggsapur enlightened us with:
    > Well .... could I have possibly left out a little info here :)

    Still, you haven't answered the "have you tried the following
    already?" question.

    Also make sure your computer isn't overheating or overclocked.

    Iggsapur wrote:
    > when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that the
    > "genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436 and am
    > wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta patch. Any info
    > appreciated.

    One possibility is that UT was bundled with sound soundcards and came in
    a slightly modified way. Your error is unusual and I'm thinking it may
    be caused by installing the wrong patch, or using the wrong version of
    UT (ie, a modified patch or installed for hardware that you don't have).

    Just a thought.

    --
    Flash
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:28:51 +0000, Flash <NOSPAM@digdilem.org> wrote:

    >Iggsapur wrote:
    >> when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that the
    >> "genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436 and am
    >> wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta patch. Any info
    >> appreciated.
    >
    >One possibility is that UT was bundled with sound soundcards and came in
    >a slightly modified way. Your error is unusual and I'm thinking it may
    >be caused by installing the wrong patch, or using the wrong version of
    >UT (ie, a modified patch or installed for hardware that you don't have).
    >
    >Just a thought.

    Something in the back of my mind makes me thing that error is somehow
    related to the OGL subsystem. Maybe a problem with the renderer?
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Iggsapur wrote:
    > when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that
    > the "genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436
    > and am wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta
    > patch. Any info appreciated.

    Change your renderer.

    Start UT again. You should see a screen before it tries to starty that
    gives you an option to start in safe mode or to change your renderer.
    Choose to view all renderers and pick open gl. The game should start, but
    it will be too dark and you won't be able to correct gamma etc. You'll need
    an updated opengl renderer patch that about a zillion people here are
    willing to provide to you in the binary group or they might still have a
    valid link.

    If it runs in opengl after that, great. Play it and forget about it. If
    you really want it to work in direct3d, then post back, and I'll give you
    some further instructions.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    §ï×darts enlightened us with:
    > genport I/O initialization falure is not native to X. So, that
    > leaves us with a windows machine.

    I learn something everyday.

    > He mentioned 436.... That would mean UT and it would also be the
    > newest official.

    > Never Never Never Never Never Never Never do that unless dxdiag
    > comes out with a 12 digit error. That is horrible advice... and why
    > would you give it if you didn't know for sure he was running
    > windows?

    It's a standard list of things to do that I have. If it's such a bad
    idea, I'll take it off!

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:14:39 -0700, "§ï×darts" <sixdarts@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Iggsapur wrote:
    >> when starting unreal tournament, I get an error code telling me that
    >> the "genport I/O failed to initialize. I have installed utpatch 436
    >> and am wondering if this might be caused by me need the no delta
    >> patch. Any info appreciated.
    >
    >Change your renderer.
    >
    >Start UT again. You should see a screen before it tries to starty that
    >gives you an option to start in safe mode or to change your renderer.
    >Choose to view all renderers and pick open gl. The game should start, but
    >it will be too dark and you won't be able to correct gamma etc. You'll need
    >an updated opengl renderer patch that about a zillion people here are
    >willing to provide to you in the binary group or they might still have a
    >valid link.
    >
    >If it runs in opengl after that, great. Play it and forget about it. If
    >you really want it to work in direct3d, then post back, and I'll give you
    >some further instructions.

    Hey Six. Good advice.

    The OGL renderer of choice can be found here:
    http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Games Video Games