Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Corrupted registry I have backup copy, please help??!!!

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:03:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I accidentally corrupted my windows registry files because instead of hitting
"export" registry I hitted "import". After that I wasn't able to boot Windows
again. I followed the instructions in _Microsoft's article
#307545(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us) on How to recover from
a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting, allthough my
computer is a Dell notebook 8600 with an OEM-installed operating system (XP
home), and later I noticed that it states in the article that this procedure
shouldn't be used on OEM-installed operating systems.

Anyway, the facts are that following those instructions I could get windows
to start up again, but in a very basic fashion, and nothing except windows
itself works fine.
Previous to the crash I did a system backup (restoring point) and I even
exported a copy of the original and undamaged registry in my Desktop. Anyway,
I'm unable to restore my system to a previous point, bercause they don't show
in the System Tools, the only restore point available is today's!!!????

My specific question is, how do I restore my system to a previos point? or
How do I use the imported backup registry that I have in my Desktop?

I coul really use any help, please!

Thankyou!

Gabriel
June 7, 2005 12:25:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

In news:6A953ECB-602E-40C4-8960-040F1F3B936C@microsoft.com,
Gabriel <Gabriel@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> I accidentally corrupted my windows registry files because instead of
> hitting "export" registry I hitted "import". After that I wasn't able
> to boot Windows again. I followed the instructions in _Microsoft's
> article #307545(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us) on How
> to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
> starting, allthough my computer is a Dell notebook 8600 with an
> OEM-installed operating system (XP home), and later I noticed that it
> states in the article that this procedure shouldn't be used on
> OEM-installed operating systems.
>
> Anyway, the facts are that following those instructions I could get
> windows to start up again, but in a very basic fashion, and nothing
> except windows itself works fine.
> Previous to the crash I did a system backup (restoring point) and I
> even exported a copy of the original and undamaged registry in my
> Desktop. Anyway, I'm unable to restore my system to a previous point,
> bercause they don't show in the System Tools, the only restore point
> available is today's!!!????
>
> My specific question is, how do I restore my system to a previos
> point? or How do I use the imported backup registry that I have in my
> Desktop?
>
> I coul really use any help, please!
>
> Thankyou!
>
> Gabriel

Try them both in safe mode without networking though it's likely you can't
use the other restore points as you can't access it automatically. Before
you do this though why not try the last known good configuration option?
Restart, pound the F8 key during boot over and over again, select last known
good configuration. If it works don't worry, if not then try to import the
registry during a safe mode without networking boot.

FMI you can check here:

http://kgiii.info/windows/all/safemode.html

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:29:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Ok, nothing worked. I now understand that I'm going to have to reinstall
everything, a full system restore.

The problem is that I mannaged to boot windows in a very basic fashion, with
a minnimum of resources, so I now have access to the Desktop and I can see,
copy or delete my files and configurations. The thing is that I'm unable to
access my periferic storage devices, because I cant acces the USB ports, or
the Internet, or even my LAN, so I need to know how am I going to download my
files from my HD, before I format the HD and reinstall Windows XP????

Is there a way to store my important files in my same HD, and reinstall
Windows, without erasing that directory?

Thanks!

"Galen" escribió:

> In news:6A953ECB-602E-40C4-8960-040F1F3B936C@microsoft.com,
> Gabriel <Gabriel@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > I accidentally corrupted my windows registry files because instead of
> > hitting "export" registry I hitted "import". After that I wasn't able
> > to boot Windows again. I followed the instructions in _Microsoft's
> > article #307545(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us) on How
> > to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
> > starting, allthough my computer is a Dell notebook 8600 with an
> > OEM-installed operating system (XP home), and later I noticed that it
> > states in the article that this procedure shouldn't be used on
> > OEM-installed operating systems.
> >
> > Anyway, the facts are that following those instructions I could get
> > windows to start up again, but in a very basic fashion, and nothing
> > except windows itself works fine.
> > Previous to the crash I did a system backup (restoring point) and I
> > even exported a copy of the original and undamaged registry in my
> > Desktop. Anyway, I'm unable to restore my system to a previous point,
> > bercause they don't show in the System Tools, the only restore point
> > available is today's!!!????
> >
> > My specific question is, how do I restore my system to a previos
> > point? or How do I use the imported backup registry that I have in my
> > Desktop?
> >
> > I coul really use any help, please!
> >
> > Thankyou!
> >
> > Gabriel
>
> Try them both in safe mode without networking though it's likely you can't
> use the other restore points as you can't access it automatically. Before
> you do this though why not try the last known good configuration option?
> Restart, pound the F8 key during boot over and over again, select last known
> good configuration. If it works don't worry, if not then try to import the
> registry during a safe mode without networking boot.
>
> FMI you can check here:
>
> http://kgiii.info/windows/all/safemode.html
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>
>
>
Related resources
June 7, 2005 6:50:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

In news:1D1F6555-4B4D-48F3-9BB3-4D30A9D3A2A5@microsoft.com,
Gabriel <Gabriel@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Ok, nothing worked. I now understand that I'm going to have to
> reinstall everything, a full system restore.
>
> The problem is that I mannaged to boot windows in a very basic
> fashion, with a minnimum of resources, so I now have access to the
> Desktop and I can see, copy or delete my files and configurations.
> The thing is that I'm unable to access my periferic storage devices,
> because I cant acces the USB ports, or the Internet, or even my LAN,
> so I need to know how am I going to download my files from my HD,
> before I format the HD and reinstall Windows XP????
>
> Is there a way to store my important files in my same HD, and
> reinstall Windows, without erasing that directory?
>
> Thanks!

This is, at this point, perhaps the best solution:

How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

You'll have to download your updates all over again but other than that you
should come through with flying colors and keep your data. After you've done
that you should install SP2.

What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...

Have you looked here yet?

How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP ...:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 8:31:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thansk Galen for your help. But you know what, I remebered I had an old
PCMCIA adapter for CF cards, I insterted it in the PCMCIA slot and then I
insterted a CF card, and surprise: I had a fully usable new removable storage
device, PCMCIA works!!!!! So now I have the tough trouble of having to
download my 11 GB of personal info to another computer through a 256 MB
CFcard which is the only uno I have.

After that I plan to format my HD and Fully reinstall Windows XP.

Any advice?

Thanks!

"Galen" escribió:

> In news:1D1F6555-4B4D-48F3-9BB3-4D30A9D3A2A5@microsoft.com,
> Gabriel <Gabriel@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
>
> My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
>
> > Ok, nothing worked. I now understand that I'm going to have to
> > reinstall everything, a full system restore.
> >
> > The problem is that I mannaged to boot windows in a very basic
> > fashion, with a minnimum of resources, so I now have access to the
> > Desktop and I can see, copy or delete my files and configurations.
> > The thing is that I'm unable to access my periferic storage devices,
> > because I cant acces the USB ports, or the Internet, or even my LAN,
> > so I need to know how am I going to download my files from my HD,
> > before I format the HD and reinstall Windows XP????
> >
> > Is there a way to store my important files in my same HD, and
> > reinstall Windows, without erasing that directory?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> This is, at this point, perhaps the best solution:
>
> How to perform an inplace upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
>
> You'll have to download your updates all over again but other than that you
> should come through with flying colors and keep your data. After you've done
> that you should install SP2.
>
> What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.m...
>
> Have you looked here yet?
>
> How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP ...:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes
>
>
>
June 7, 2005 11:45:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

In news:F9F1E819-10F9-4380-8E77-638A904D49FE@microsoft.com,
Gabriel <Gabriel@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:

> Thansk Galen for your help. But you know what, I remebered I had an
> old PCMCIA adapter for CF cards, I insterted it in the PCMCIA slot
> and then I insterted a CF card, and surprise: I had a fully usable
> new removable storage device, PCMCIA works!!!!! So now I have the
> tough trouble of having to download my 11 GB of personal info to
> another computer through a 256 MB CFcard which is the only uno I have.
>
> After that I plan to format my HD and Fully reinstall Windows XP.
>
> Any advice?

Backup, backup, and backup... After that I'd try the repair installation
first, it can't really hurt anything. If you do then read the link about
what to know about SP2 and this one that I grabbed inside of one of these
threads:

"XP Surviving the first day"
http://www.sans.org/rr/whitepapers/windows/1298.php

I'm not sure who posted that but it's a decent bit of information.

Galen
--

"And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."

Sherlock Holmes
!