Is my MOBO DOA? I'm seriously fed up at this point :(

akondray

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Really hoping someone here can help me as I'm completely lost. I'll just start with the pure basics as that's where I'm at now.

I pulled the mobo out of the case in an attempt to breadboard it. It's now sitting on my wooden table with only the cpu + HSF and PSU attatched. When I first press the power button it turns on for about 1 second before instantly shutting off, it then will continue to do this every 5 or so seconds until I turn off the PSU.

MOBO:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

PSU:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYFODS

I also followed corsair's guide on checking your power supply using this method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXgQSokF4

Can someone PLEASE help me or at least point me in the correct direction. At this point I don't know what to do other than start sending parts back in. I don't have any other parts to even test and see if it's the PSU or Mobo as my own rig is at school for the summer.

americanbrian

Distinguished
What about your RAM? you need ram in to post.

I hit a problem using performance RAM in a build because it required higher voltage than the mobo default. Catch 22, can't up the volts without going into BIOS, which if the ram won't post is impossible.

so in the end changed from dominator to kingston hyper x which posted at the default volts.

akondray

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I don't have a speaker, I thought without ram installed it would turn on, give one long beep, then shut off. Unless it can keep beeping once it shuts off, then I don't think not having ram is giving any problems because the computer literally turns off after 1 second. I have also tried using both sticks of ram in different slots by themselves and it still always restarts instantly.

My Ram:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QBUL1C

According to my motherboard's instruction manual this ram should be fine

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Not only do you need to have RAM installed to POST, when using integrated graphics, if there's no RAM, there would be no VRAM either.

Try removing the battery or resetting the CMOS, popping in a single DIMM, and attempting to POST again. (If it doesn't POST, power down and try the DIMM in each slot.)

And I'm sorry to have to ask, but is the 4+4-pin (8-pin) CPU power cable plugged in? I've seen a lot of people forget about it before. I even did so myself, once.

akondray

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
The CPU is plugged in as well as the main power connector for the MOBO. I've tried using both sticks of ram in both slots to no avail. I've reset the CMOS as well as removed the battery and power for 10 minutes to have it completely shut down. Nothing has even made progress, it still restarts just as fast and goes into the continuous restart loop until I cut the power.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Have you tried removing the CPU and checked for bent pins? Or perhaps forgot to remove the protective socket cover? I know these seem like amateur things to ask, but sometimes people make mistakes...

I had two AMD systems do something like this to me. They just cycled in a continuous boot loop. One had an MSI board, the other a Gigabyte. The MSI one was the result of using a USB keyboard & mouse, and the Gigabyte the result of using a PS/2 keyboard & mouse. (I know... how strange.) Any chance you can try whichever one you're not presently using?

akondray

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I tried reseating the CPU multiple times and even tried removing the thermal paste to see if that was causing some awkward error where it thought I didn't have a cpu fan or something. I also looked for bent pins but didn't find any. By protective socket cover I assume you mean the one that sits where the cpu should be and yes I removed that. There wasn't one on the socket for the cpu power supply like there are on some motherboards so that also wouldnt be an issue. I don't have a keyboard or mouse plugged in.

As of today I've tried:

-Motherboard, cpu, 1 ram stick in various slots
-Motherboard, cpu, no ram
-Motherboard, cpu, 1 ram stick, 1 graphics card in various slots
I tried 2 different ram sticks and 2 different graphics cards to see if perhaps these were dead and causing an error

All of these configurations resulted in the exact same continuous restart loop. At this point I'm 99% positive it's either the PSU, CPU, or motherboard. The power supply seems to be working fine and I doubt its the CPU so my guess is the motherboard.

I've gotten ahold of a friend who has a custom rig so I'm going to go try his power supply tomorrow to rule that out of the equation. With that done I'll know it's either the mother board or the CPU.

I came across the same issue with a P8P67 Pro board last night, tried 2 power suppplies ( made sure they were good by hooking them to a different system ) 2 video cards ( pulled from working systems )
From reading about it, it's a problem with the VRM on the MB.
Taking this one back to MC today, along with the cpu because I read a post from someone that claimed the board took it out with it's power cycling.

PS to all; Yes you need RAM to complete a post, these systems are not staying powered long enough to recognize wether or not there is a stick in the slot.

spark79

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
what about the power connector from the front panel or whatever. recently i reinstalled my pc and it was installed for a long time without messing with it and when i powered it on it would turn on for a second and then immediately shut off. i couldn't figure it out and then i just messed with those power + - wires and finally after putting them in a bunch of configurations it worked. haha that's probably not it but it somehow worked for me, ya never know.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The Corsair PSU checklist covers attempting a pin-to-pin short power test, and the OP said he did all that. While it's not a load-test by any means, it's sufficient enough to rule it out. Additionally, if the shutdown were being caused by an electrical fault that tripped a safety within the PSU to cause it to shutdown, that's all it would do - shutdown. It wouldn't continuously cycle power on and off repeatedly.

I'm not sure about the cpu and just not taking chances.
No PITA here, someone picked up the parts and drove them back to Microcenter for me, should have the replacements sometime this afternoon.

pcnooob

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I'm having the same problem with my new build. Computer starts and turns off after 1 second, and turns back on and repeat infinitely. Did the OP come to a solution?