Sign in with
Your question

PC not booting with new graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2010 9:46:35 AM

Hi all,

Just having a problem with a seemingly simple replacement.

System specs:
Pentium Dual Core 3.4ghz
2gb Ram
XP S2
Abit SG-95 Mboard

I wanted to replace my Radeon X550 with a Gigabyte Radeon HD 5570 OC. I deleted all of the old drivers and all of the ATI programs/utilities. Unplugged the pc from the power, replaced the GPU, switched it on and it just gets stuck. The PC doesn't even want to go into POST.. I do get this constant click from the internal speaker so obvioulsy something isnt going right.

I bet it is something obvious.. but I am used to only ever installing cards on fresh systems so I haven't come across these types of problems.

More about : booting graphics card

a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 10:07:27 AM

what are your PSU specs?
m
l
July 16, 2010 10:19:07 AM

Ok PSU is 450w generic branded Excel, the GPU manual states it has to be at least 400w.. this is a seemingly bare bones system too, one dual core, 2gb ram, one HDD and GPU..

I did also double check that there wasnt a power connector on the card that I should have connected to but this model doesn't come with one.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 2:33:57 PM

You may want to grab a newer BIOS revision on your motherboard. I had issues upgrading once with an Abit motherboard until I upgraded the BIOS (Even then it was still pretty picky).

My old ABIT AW8-Max Would run a X800 XT, and my 4870, but would not boot with my 2900 XT (Power wasnt an issue). First time i have problems with motherboard related GPU issues.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 2:43:36 PM

1 ^ Should use latest Bios Update.
(1) Not a problem with XP system as you can not post.
(2) For Older system, the first thing I would do is reset ALL of your Connects and all of your cards and your memory modules.
(3) If you can not post, then retry your old GPU. if that works check your +12 V and Your +5 V and make sure +12 V is +> 11.6 and +5 is +> 4.75 V
m
l
July 16, 2010 11:19:15 PM

RetiredChief said:
1 ^ Should use latest Bios Update.
(1) Not a problem with XP system as you can not post.
(2) For Older system, the first thing I would do is reset ALL of your Connects and all of your cards and your memory modules.
(3) If you can not post, then retry your old GPU. if that works check your +12 V and Your +5 V and make sure +12 V is +> 11.6 and +5 is +> 4.75 V

I am not really sure how to do (2), and for (3) how to I check the 12V and 5V?
By the way the old card works and it loads properly.
m
l
July 21, 2010 10:31:22 AM

Just bumping this up, I will have a chance to look at this problem again in the next couple of days. Like I have written the computer works fine with the old card, loads properly and all, as soon as I put the new card in it wont Post it just clicks constantly though the internal speaker. Power is above the specified minimum and it isnt a power hungry card.

I will have a go at flashing the bios which snipergod suggested, any other possibilities?
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 21, 2010 10:58:06 AM

BIOS Update, driver sweeper + newest correct drivers could help too...
m
l
July 21, 2010 11:06:31 AM

Thanks that program looks useful. I have downloaded the latest BIOS ready to go and fresh drivers cant hurt either.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2010 3:41:55 PM

Helltech said:
BIOS Update, driver sweeper + newest correct drivers could help too...

Driver wont matter if the computer doesnt even POST, I am assuming power. When you boot the computer and the internal speaker makes noise you can look it up in your motherboard manual it might say something, if you dont have it on hand Abit has them on their website. Some Abit motherboards have an LCD screen on the motherboard reading out error codes I am not sure if yours does.

If you have another PSU or a friend with one you could borrow theirs and see if that fixes your problem.
m
l
!