User account error

I recently added a new administrative account, and deleted the old one...
But Windows still tries to automatically log on with the old account.
Obviously, it gives an error message saying the profile can't be found. I've
tried logging on in safe mode, but I get the SAME error message. The new
account I created IS a computer administrator, but I simply CANNOT switch to
it.

Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling Windows?

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:56:02 -0700, Future wrote:

> I recently added a new administrative account, and deleted the old one...
> But Windows still tries to automatically log on with the old account.
> Obviously, it gives an error message saying the profile can't be found. I've
> tried logging on in safe mode, but I get the SAME error message. The new
> account I created IS a computer administrator, but I simply CANNOT switch to
> it.
>
> Is there any way to fix this without reinstalling Windows?

Was auto-logon setup for the old account?

Try Start> Run and type control userpasswords2 and click OK. In the window
that appears. Check the box that requires use of password to logon. This
will remove the auto-logon or the old administrator account (*if this tool
was used to establish it in the first place). Restart the system. Log on
with the desired account.

If you want to setup auto-logon for the new account, run control
userpasswords2 again. Click to highlight your current account. Uncheck the
box requiring password. Fill in the account info on the screen that appears
and OK your way back to the desktop.

TweakUI is another common tool used to establish an auto-logon situation.
If installed, check the settings in that program to change the account that
will be logged on automatically.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User