Solved

Does hard drive affect PC performance?

Can a hard drive affect PC performance in games? I have an old seagate 160gb hard drive from 2007 and i have a quad core CPU and a good graphics card but some games lag and all i can hear is the hard drive working. Also it takes a while to boot up and i think its going bad. I'm getting a SATA3 500gb drive soon and i just wanna ask can a hard drive bottleneck the PC in games?
20 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about does hard drive affect performance
  1. Yes a hdd can and will effect overall system performance.
  2. The hard drive will affect things like loading maps and levels and saving games but once you're playing the game it should mostly be between your RAM, CPU and graphics card
  3. rabidraccoon said:
    The hard drive will affect things like loading maps and levels and saving games but once you're playing the game it should mostly be between your RAM, CPU and graphics card

But it looks like its lagging while playing as well. NFS most wanted 2 for example. The game lags on lowest settings but my specs are better than my friend's who can play it maxed out without lag.
  4. What exactly do you have? It could be that your RAM or GPU have issues. Have you memtested RAM? I had 3 faulty sticks of RAM and it wasn't apparent during normal Windows use, but messed up my COD playing so I memtested and turned out it was a RAM issue.
  5. Yes, I chucked my old Seagate after three years as checkpoints caused visible hitching, the whole game literally stopped then started. New HDD, no problem.
  6. rabidraccoon said:
    What exactly do you have? It could be that your RAM or GPU have issues. Have you memtested RAM? I had 3 faulty sticks of RAM and it wasn't apparent during normal Windows use, but messed up my COD playing so I memtested and turned out it was a RAM issue.

I have two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 4gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz (8gb of ram) and EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1gb SC. Here's what i did. I overclocked the CPU but not a single frame more, GPU is factory overclocked but i downclocked it and yet again same fps, i tried reducing the RAM mhz to 1066 (or whatever it is) and 1333 mhz and yet again same fps. The only thing i haven't changed is the hard drive so i think its because of it. Its an old seagate barracuda 160gb hard drive from 2007 (idk if its sata 1 or 2)
  7. Quote:
    The faster the platters of hard disk spin, the less time the hard drive will take to pull upon a certain data. This can affect your computer's overall speed, since the computer's pretty much just waiting on data while those platters spin, regardless of the speed of the computer's processor or other components. Hard drive platter speed is rated in RPM, or rotations per minute.

Even my old seagate 160gb from 2007 has a 7200 RPM. though it also depends on the data transfer rate. SATA1 transfers 1.5gb/s, SATA2= 3gb/s and SATA3=6gb/s
    I'm getting a 500gb SATA3 seagate hard drive soon. And i don't even know if my current drive is sata 1 or 2, it isn't written on the drive. all it says is Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200 RPM and some other stuff but it doesn't say if its sata 1 or 2 and also transfer speed isn't written so i can't tell if its S1 or S2 :D
  8. Best answer
    Yeah see if changing the hard drive has an effect. It could be that the games you play load lots of map parts and game elements dynamically so the hard drive is involved. If you still have issues, try to see if its any of the other components. Good luck!
  9. Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
  10. Lazar_99 did it worked for you? I'm getting mad with my GTX 970 (not a shitty card) stuttering randomly even on TF2 lol...I have a seagate too...probably I should change the HDD
  11. SigmaCharlie said:
    Lazar_99 did it worked for you? I'm getting mad with my GTX 970 (not a shitty card) stuttering randomly even on TF2 lol...I have a seagate too...probably I should change the HDD

This thread is almost 3 years old now. The hard drive i talked about on this thread is usable but by running Seagate's SeaTools, i found that it failed all tests except the S.M.A.R.T test, it caused my other hard drive to randomly "fall asleep" and then i had to wait 20-30 seconds for the whole PC to start loading buildings in games and it wouldn't respond to anything i press on the keyboard except the mouse cursor until the hard drives wake up. I also found out that during the summer when its hot, that my hard drives have overheating issues and games at that point start stuttering. Don't really know how hot they got, but when i close the game, they are about 45 degrees which is blazing hot for a HDD. If its hot in your room, perhaps your HDD is overheating and is causing the same stuttering issues i had.

P.S
    This problem seemed to start after i replaced my dead HD 6850 with a HD 7950 which is a lot faster that the old one and generates more heat. Since you have a high end GPU, it is possible that it runs hot and demands a lot from your HDD.
  12. Thank you man...you were so kind...didn't want to make you angry by bringing back an old thread...my HDD temp is 33° C but I will run SeaTools cause I'm desperate and I'm trying everything.
  13. SigmaCharlie said:
    Thank you man...you were so kind...didn't want to make you angry by bringing back an old thread...my HDD temp is 33° C but I will run SeaTools cause I'm desperate and I'm trying everything.

Could you tell me the specs of your PC (i'm very interested in knowing which motherboard and CPU you have).
    I found out that the stuttering problem was caused by the VRM's on my motherboard overheating and therefore throttling the system.
    The motherboard i have is an MSI 970A-G46, which is well known for causing VRM problems on more power hungry CPUs.
    My CPU in particular isn't a high performer but it can pull 147W which surprised me considering its an unlocked and outdated Athlon II.
    Locking the 4th core brought the power usage down to 100W on full load and the stuttering never appeared again, that is unless i unlock the 4th core and have a higher than normal room temp.
    Your HDD runs pretty cool, 33° is a great operating temp.
  14. Lazar_99 said:
    SigmaCharlie said:
    Thank you man...you were so kind...didn't want to make you angry by bringing back an old thread...my HDD temp is 33° C but I will run SeaTools cause I'm desperate and I'm trying everything.

Could you tell me the specs of your PC (i'm very interested in knowing which motherboard and CPU you have).
    I found out that the stuttering problem was caused by the VRM's on my motherboard overheating and therefore throttling the system.
    The motherboard i have is an MSI 970A-G46, which is well known for causing VRM problems on more power hungry CPUs.
    My CPU in particular isn't a high performer but it can pull 147W which surprised me considering its an unlocked and outdated Athlon II.
    Locking the 4th core brought the power usage down to 100W on full load and the stuttering never appeared again, that is unless i unlock the 4th core and have a higher than normal room temp.

I have an Intel i5 4460 and for motherboard: Asus Z97-K if you can help I will be really glad and find something to reward you...I can't even play cs:go properly...I made a damage of 95 HP but died from an Headshot cause stutter happened and I couldn't aim properly to finish my enemy...very stressful
  15. SigmaCharlie said:
    Lazar_99 said:
    SigmaCharlie said:

I have an Intel i5 4460 and for motherboard: Asus Z97-K if you can help I will be really glad and find something to reward you...I can't even play cs:go properly...I made a damage of 95 HP but died from an Headshot cause stutter happened and I couldn't aim properly to finish my enemy...very stressful

So does it stutter immediately after you start playing or does it stutter after a couple of minutes? Did you monitor your temps while playing games, update your drivers to the latest version? Try and see if the stuttering stops when you enable Vsync in CS GO (it seemed to stop stuttering for me but i got input lag because 60 fps is too low for CS GO, just test it and see if it stutters or not and put it back to off). Limiting the FPS takes the stress off your hardware so its easy to tell if something is overheating. However if all your games stutter even when you start playing, it could be driver related. And can you tell me is it hot in the room where your PC is?
  16. Lazar_99 said:
    SigmaCharlie said:
    Lazar_99 said:
    SigmaCharlie said:

So does it stutter immediately after you start playing or does it stutter after a couple of minutes? Did you monitor your temps while playing games, update your drivers to the latest version? Try and see if the stuttering stops when you enable Vsync in CS GO (it seemed to stop stuttering for me but i got input lag because 60 fps is too low for CS GO, just test it and see if it stutters or not and put it back to off). Limiting the FPS takes the stress off your hardware so its easy to tell if something is overheating. However if all your games stutter even when you start playing, it could be driver related. And can you tell me is it hot in the room where your PC is?

So:

1) I tried every driver version from 344 to 353...didn't change anything
    2) Temps and usage are really low while I get the little stutter (that's strange...pic related)
    3) I thought it was the HDD to be faulty, cause stutter often happens randomly/when running on a big map (so loading objects is involved)...I tried every test avaiable on Seatools (except the advance one) and my HDD passed everything.
    4) Do you mind if I link you my facebook profile or give you my skype name? So that the response will be faster
    5) I'll link you a video of few seconds to make you see what kind of stutter I get

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carlo.bordin.5 (my profile pic is ironic)
  17. Can't upload the pic...
  18. SigmaCharlie said:
    Can't upload the pic...

How about drivers for your motherboard, audio drivers, did you update them or are you using the ones from the CD that came with your board? You can also try testing your RAM for issues with memtest. Also, you might want to check your power management mode in the nvidia control panel, additionally, try and enable high performance in the power plan by going: control panel/ hardware and sound/ power options. Leave the memtest for last and try the power settings i mentioned and see if it still stutters. And btw, is the stuttering constant or does it come and go?
  19. Lazar_99 said:
    rabidraccoon said:
    The hard drive will affect things like loading maps and levels and saving games but once you're playing the game it should mostly be between your RAM, CPU and graphics card

But it looks like its lagging while playing as well. NFS most wanted 2 for example. The game lags on lowest settings but my specs are better than my friend's who can play it maxed out without lag.
  20. This could be the reason of your video card dude.... it's not about disk, CPU , ram all about.. if you play GAMES it requires a good video card
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Performance Games Storage