Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does hard drive affect PC performance?

Last response: in Storage
November 22, 2012 10:02:17 PM

Can a hard drive affect PC performance in games? I have an old seagate 160gb hard drive from 2007 and i have a quad core CPU and a good graphics card but some games lag and all i can hear is the hard drive working. Also it takes a while to boot up and i think its going bad. I'm getting a SATA3 500gb drive soon and i just wanna ask can a hard drive bottleneck the PC in games?
a b G Storage
November 22, 2012 10:08:16 PM

Yes a hdd can and will effect overall system performance.
m
l
November 23, 2012 2:14:36 AM

The hard drive will affect things like loading maps and levels and saving games but once you're playing the game it should mostly be between your RAM, CPU and graphics card
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2012 4:05:42 AM

rabidraccoon said:
The hard drive will affect things like loading maps and levels and saving games but once you're playing the game it should mostly be between your RAM, CPU and graphics card

But it looks like its lagging while playing as well. NFS most wanted 2 for example. The game lags on lowest settings but my specs are better than my friend's who can play it maxed out without lag.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:09:34 AM

What exactly do you have? It could be that your RAM or GPU have issues. Have you memtested RAM? I had 3 faulty sticks of RAM and it wasn't apparent during normal Windows use, but messed up my COD playing so I memtested and turned out it was a RAM issue.
m
l
November 23, 2012 4:22:20 AM

Yes, I chucked my old Seagate after three years as checkpoints caused visible hitching, the whole game literally stopped then started. New HDD, no problem.
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:32:15 AM

rabidraccoon said:
What exactly do you have? It could be that your RAM or GPU have issues. Have you memtested RAM? I had 3 faulty sticks of RAM and it wasn't apparent during normal Windows use, but messed up my COD playing so I memtested and turned out it was a RAM issue.

I have two sticks of Corsair Vengeance 4gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz (8gb of ram) and EVGA GeForce GTX 460 1gb SC. Here's what i did. I overclocked the CPU but not a single frame more, GPU is factory overclocked but i downclocked it and yet again same fps, i tried reducing the RAM mhz to 1066 (or whatever it is) and 1333 mhz and yet again same fps. The only thing i haven't changed is the hard drive so i think its because of it. Its an old seagate barracuda 160gb hard drive from 2007 (idk if its sata 1 or 2)
m
l
November 23, 2012 11:37:45 AM

Quote:
The faster the platters of hard disk spin, the less time the hard drive will take to pull upon a certain data. This can affect your computer's overall speed, since the computer's pretty much just waiting on data while those platters spin, regardless of the speed of the computer's processor or other components. Hard drive platter speed is rated in RPM, or rotations per minute.

Even my old seagate 160gb from 2007 has a 7200 RPM. though it also depends on the data transfer rate. SATA1 transfers 1.5gb/s, SATA2= 3gb/s and SATA3=6gb/s
I'm getting a 500gb SATA3 seagate hard drive soon. And i don't even know if my current drive is sata 1 or 2, it isn't written on the drive. all it says is Seagate Barracuda 160gb 7200 RPM and some other stuff but it doesn't say if its sata 1 or 2 and also transfer speed isn't written so i can't tell if its S1 or S2 :D 
m
l

Best solution

November 23, 2012 12:47:40 PM

Yeah see if changing the hard drive has an effect. It could be that the games you play load lots of map parts and game elements dynamically so the hard drive is involved. If you still have issues, try to see if its any of the other components. Good luck!
November 23, 2012 12:53:44 PM

Best answer selected by Lazar_99.
m
l
!