Can someone help me find the right power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunhashin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
My cousins computer just recently broke and I think it's just a psu issue so I am trying to find a psu that will support his mobo. He has a XFX MB-N680-ILT9 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 ATX Motherboard. I have only dealt with about 5 computers my whole life and his computer is the first one I've seen take a 8pin connector instead of a 4pin. I don't know exactly what you call that part of the mobo so I will provide a picture in a link to show you guys what im talking about. Can someone help me find the right power supply that could support his mobo?

Also take note of his specs..

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66ghz
RAM: 2x1GB Corshair XMS
GFX: XFX 8600GTS
HDD: 500gb 7200rpm
CD/DVD ROM
4 case fans
XFX MB-N680-ILT9 NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI Socket 775 ATX Motherboard

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4559/mbn680ilt9pbrunit.jpg <--Picture of the mobo with an arrow pointing to what I was talkin about(8pin thingy)

If someone knows exactly what those things are called, plz let me know so I can search for it next time without typing in "8 pin power connector thing"

Solution
G
That connector is an 8-pin CPU connector and a lot of higher end motherboards need them nowadays.

Any decent power supply will come with one of those, but most allow you to take off 4 pins so it can be used as either a 4 or 8-pin.

I would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139018

It's $50 after rebate and is a solid PSU by a good manufacturer. It'll last out for a while and also be powerful enough to support your friend's computer if it gets upgraded in the future.

Note to others reading this: I didn't just go for the most expensive Corsair in his budget, I looked at decent 500W PSUs on Newegg and this looked the best bang for the buck. I am definitely not a Corsair fanboy. Just look at my...
G

That connector is an 8-pin CPU connector and a lot of higher end motherboards need them nowadays.

Any decent power supply will come with one of those, but most allow you to take off 4 pins so it can be used as either a 4 or 8-pin.

I would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139018

It's $50 after rebate and is a solid PSU by a good manufacturer. It'll last out for a while and also be powerful enough to support your friend's computer if it gets upgraded in the future.

Note to others reading this: I didn't just go for the most expensive Corsair in his budget, I looked at decent 500W PSUs on Newegg and this looked the best bang for the buck. I am definitely not a Corsair fanboy. Just look at my sigrig; no Corsair to be found.

Solution

sunhashin

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Thank you all for your recommendations! After taking a look through all of them, I have decided to go with the Corsair 430CX because it came with a combo deal. 2gb ram+430w psu for only $61..gg. =]

Status
Not open for further replies.