halfpipehippie

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hey I just received a free desktop from work and here are the specs:

Dell Optiplex 760

Operating System
MS Windows 7 32-bit (Will be upgraded to 64bit)
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @ 2.80GHz 35 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0G214D (CPU)
Graphics
Generic Non-PnP Monitor @ 1280x1024
Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
Hard Drives
156GB Seagate ST3160815AS (SATA) 28 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493B
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

I will be using this for gaming so I plan on getting a video card around 150$. I also have the option of taking 4 addition gigs of ram from work which would total 8 gigs, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill.

I plan on using this for gaming and I have thought about web hosting or some sort of server hosting while its not being used to game on.

What should i focus on upgrading on this machine in the near future?
Thanks!

I run 6GB on my x64 machine. I was thinking of going higher but maybe your right.
if you have a socket 1366 motherboard then you run triple channel (3x2GB) for 6GB. With any other kind of motherboard it will be dual channel (2x2GB) for 4GB. More than that is only recommended if you run an application you know needs it.

What a nice gift!

For gaming at 1280 x 1024 you do not need a very strong graphics card.
You might look at something like a 5670 which is closer to $100 than $150. It is built on 40nm technology so it does not require so much extra power and cooling. It needs only pci-e slot power.

If you need/want more, then get the specs on the included psu. Look particularly for the total amps deliverable on the 12v rail/s.

For just gaming 4gb is plenty. If, however, you will be doing heavy multitasking and server type things, then extra ram will be helpful.

If you have the option to get a larger monitor, or even a second duplicate monitor, consider it.

I understand the extra cost, power, and heat.
But... In what scenario can extra ram be slower?

halfpipehippie

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
what do you mean re-verify my RAM configuration? it is like i posted:
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18).

Thanks for all the suggestions, when i ran the system analysis I was at work using their monitor lol. I have a 600watt PSU at home i can plug in to allow for a better GPU.

I just got it home now and i have another issue. not sure if I should just create a new forum elsewhere.

Just installed 7 pro 64bit and now

My issue is the computer "lags" in the sense that even opening the start-menu stutters opening. the typing cursor will not blink consistently. when i type it takes a while to show up. closing browser windows etc. pretty much basic stuff. I ran a dskchk from cmd prompt and i got no errors. what could this be?

Read the articles in the RAM section. When testing at 4 and 8 GB and 6/12 GB on an i7 920 system. There was sometimes a small performance loss with the extra ram. It was never big (less than 1%), but RAM doesnt have that much impact on gaming performance (unless you have too little) anyway.