Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Options for New Build

Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2010 2:00:54 PM

Hello,

I am planning to build my first self-built computer in the next month or two and have a good feel for what I'd do on the hardware perspective, but am a little confused by what the "Standard" is for getting Windows licensed.

Some Info:
1.) I have 2 existing Dell machines, one Vista, one XP. I am guessing these have OEM licenses that I cannot transfer to my new box (new mobo limitation).

2.) I qualify for the 'cheap' Windows 7 Upgrade Edition for Students.

Problem: it doesn't sound like I will have a base license to use the cheap upgrade edition on with the new setup.

Can anyone provide the common value conscious setup for a new system builder? Do you all typically look to purchase individual OEM licenses (which are supposed to be purchased with the intent to re-sell the final product, but not enforced)- or am I supposed to get the obscenely overpriced Retail Full Product Package? I'd like to take advantage of the student upgrade edition option, but sounds like I may be on the outside looking in at this point.

Appreciate any insight.

More about : windows options build

August 20, 2010 4:50:23 PM

What you have now can't legally be used.

The OEM license isn't technically meant for only vendors any more. It's just the typical buyer. OEM just means that you won't recieve any support or any extras. You'll be able to install it on a single motherboard (deemed the computer by Microsoft), and if anything goes wrong, you're SOL on getting help.

The OEM version is definitely the recommended option. Unless you change computers frequently, a Retail version won't save you anything. You'd need to go through three builds before spending more for that version would pay off.

I should point out that if the "student upgrade" you're talking about is the $70ish version you can get through Win741.com, that's a regular full version at a discounted price. It's not an upgrade version.
m
l
August 20, 2010 5:15:17 PM

Thanks for the reply MadAdmiral.

All in all, I do want to do right by MS- not looking to do anything illegal or immoral, just trying to maximize the benefit of my options.

The Student Upgrade edition option that I found was the $30 option at http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows...

I will check into win741 and see if that is something I can pursue.

If not, any feedback on my best bet for using this $30 upgrade version? I was thinking that the cheapest route would be to purchase an OEM copy of Vista (cheaper than win7?)for ~$80 (after coupon code/sale at a place like Superbiiz/ewiz that commonly does them), then use the $30 student upgrade license to get up to snuff after that.

Edit: I checked win741.com and it is just a redirect to the site I was looking at (and posted above). My interpretation of that is that I cannot use the product offered here as a standalone license, as it is intended only for students with an existing (read: old) OS. Thoughts?
m
l
Related resources
August 20, 2010 5:26:08 PM

Actually, the cheapest way to get Windows 7 would be through Win741. I'm sure it's less than $80.

I would either give the upgrade copy to a friend or family member or sell it online. Since it's just the regular upgrade version, it's worth more than what you paid for it. Give it a price somewhere between the student price and retail and I'm sure you'll find a buyer. That'll easily cut into a good chunk of the cost of a full or OEM version.
m
l
August 20, 2010 5:52:29 PM

It's possible they stopped offering it. I do find it strange that they mention a $65 "student only retail" price. I believe that's what you're looking for, but I can't seem to find where to buy that version.
m
l
!