question about the story

I just began Chapter 4, and I have a question about the dialogue between
my character and Aran Lenvail. He explained how they had been keeping
track of me because of their interest in Irenicus. He also said that
when they first heard of my kidnapping, they didn't pay much attention
to it. Then suddenly Bodhi showed up and they started losing guild
members. Then he explained how they began to track Irenicus. I might
have missed something, but I don't quite understand the jump here. Why
did they start taking an interest in him all of a sudden? It seems like
the mention of Bodhi is supposed to lead to a logical connection to
wanting to find Irenicus, but I don't really see it.

Keep in mind I'm only looking for information that I should know at this
point. Either I missed something in the dialogue, or the jump from not
caring about Irenicus to suddenly wanting to track him down and find me
as well is a big one.
3 answers Last reply
More about question story
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just began Chapter 4, and I have a question about the dialogue
    between
    > my character and Aran Lenvail. He explained how they had been
    keeping
    > track of me because of their interest in Irenicus. He also said that
    > when they first heard of my kidnapping, they didn't pay much
    attention
    > to it. Then suddenly Bodhi showed up and they started losing guild
    > members. Then he explained how they began to track Irenicus. I might
    > have missed something, but I don't quite understand the jump here.
    Why
    > did they start taking an interest in him all of a sudden?

    Remember there was at least one vampire in Irenicus's dungeon, before
    you even escaped? It was possible to miss her, but the Shadow Thieves
    obviously didn't - when you meet her she is fighting three or four
    Shadow Thieves. Evidently they already found a connection.

    This is because, even though Irenicus didn't initially seem to be much
    to do with the Shadow Thieves, they would have *investigated* Irenicus
    anyway, just for the hell of it (and to find out if there were any
    useful things that could be stolen and possibly sold for large sums of
    cash: they are, after all, THIEVES, and stolen magical goods would
    sell for valuable gold.) Knowledge is power, as they say... and if
    they found a vampire in there while "casing the joint" as the saying
    goes, they would immediately have looked for a connection between
    Bodhi's vampires and Irenicus.

    And I presume by now you've encountered the first fight on
    Brynnlaw island, with three vampires. Notice that one of them was
    called Valen? Yes, this is the *very same* Valen who first encountered
    you in the daylight as a human thief - she was the person who told you
    to go and visit Bodhi in the graveyard.
    Since then, she has become a vampire - it is not explained, nor
    does it actually really matter, whether this is by her own choice, or
    whether she had "second thoughts" about remaining with Bodhi's guild,
    and got captured trying to re-defect to Aran's Shadow Thieves and...
    punished... by Bodhi. But if Valen, a former Shadow Thief employee who
    "disappeared" from their guild, turned up as a vampire later, then of
    course the Thieves would be looking for wherever their people were
    disappearing. Quite possibly, the other vampires who were with Valen
    in that ambush were also former members of the Shadow Thieves.

    Also, Irenicus, not Bodhi, has been responsible for some of the
    Thieves disappearing (another reason for the Thieves making a
    connection between the two of them). You'll find out why.

    Jonathan.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > Remember there was at least one vampire in Irenicus's dungeon, before
    > you even escaped? It was possible to miss her, but the Shadow Thieves
    > obviously didn't - when you meet her she is fighting three or four
    > Shadow Thieves.

    But they weren't in Irenicus's dungeon just to investigate him. By that
    time they already had reason to suspect him of something (I thought), so
    seeing the vampire in his dungeon shouldn't account for their initial
    suspicion.

    > And I presume by now you've encountered the first fight on
    > Brynnlaw island, with three vampires.

    Not yet, I just saved and stopped, so I didn't read past that yet.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > Remember there was at least one vampire in Irenicus's dungeon,
    before
    > > you even escaped? It was possible to miss her, but the Shadow
    Thieves
    > > obviously didn't - when you meet her she is fighting three or four
    > > Shadow Thieves.
    >
    > But they weren't in Irenicus's dungeon just to investigate him. By
    that
    > time they already had reason to suspect him of something (I
    thought), so
    > seeing the vampire in his dungeon shouldn't account for their
    initial
    > suspicion.

    Yup. As I mentioned, (1) they investigate things anyway, just because
    they are there, that is what the Shadow Thieves *do*: and (2) it is
    Irenicus, as well as Bodhi, that is responsible for quite a large
    number of the disappearing thieves - Bodhi wouldn't necessarily be the
    *only* suspect. It was shortly after Irenicus arrived that the thieves
    started disappearing - before Bodhi came, Irenicus was also not there.
    So of COURSE he was worth investigating: to see if there was a link
    between him and Bodhi, or whether he was just someone who had arrived
    at an unfortunate enough time to make him a suspect.

    (Which part of "Irenicus wasn't here yet - Thieves were fine:
    then Irenicus arrived, Thieves started disappearing" don't you
    understand?)

    Hence the fact that the Thieves had already investigated the
    place, and made the decision to launch an assault - one that ended
    disastrously for the Thieves, in fact, but that assault wouldn't have
    taken place without prior scouting which established the fact that,
    yes, there *was* a link between him and Bodhi. Evidently the Thieves
    had already found their evidence that Irenicus and Bodhi were linked,
    although the precise *nature* of the link is not yet known to them.

    Nor is it yet known, either to the Thieves or to you, *why* they
    captured either you, or so MANY thieves - one of the things Aran said
    was that far more had disappeared, than could be accounted for by
    Bodhi's cadre of vampires (either by turning them into vampires,
    recruiting them as thieves while they were still human, or drinking
    their blood for vampire food).

    (And if you watched the most recent cutscene involving Irenicus
    and Imoen, you'll have seen the fate of at least six of the captured
    Shadow Thieves - although your character doesn't know that yet. You'll
    find out the fate of at least six more, later on, and this time your
    character will DEFINITELY be a witness...)

    Jonathan.

Games Video Games