question about the story

I just began Chapter 4, and I have a question about the dialogue between
my character and Aran Lenvail. He explained how they had been keeping
track of me because of their interest in Irenicus. He also said that
when they first heard of my kidnapping, they didn't pay much attention
to it. Then suddenly Bodhi showed up and they started losing guild
members. Then he explained how they began to track Irenicus. I might
have missed something, but I don't quite understand the jump here. Why
did they start taking an interest in him all of a sudden? It seems like
the mention of Bodhi is supposed to lead to a logical connection to
wanting to find Irenicus, but I don't really see it.

Keep in mind I'm only looking for information that I should know at this
point. Either I missed something in the dialogue, or the jump from not
caring about Irenicus to suddenly wanting to track him down and find me
as well is a big one.

"John Salerno" <johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I just began Chapter 4, and I have a question about the dialogue
between
> my character and Aran Lenvail. He explained how they had been
keeping
> track of me because of their interest in Irenicus. He also said that
> when they first heard of my kidnapping, they didn't pay much
attention
> to it. Then suddenly Bodhi showed up and they started losing guild
> members. Then he explained how they began to track Irenicus. I might
> have missed something, but I don't quite understand the jump here.
Why
> did they start taking an interest in him all of a sudden?

Remember there was at least one vampire in Irenicus's dungeon, before
you even escaped? It was possible to miss her, but the Shadow Thieves
obviously didn't - when you meet her she is fighting three or four
Shadow Thieves. Evidently they already found a connection.

This is because, even though Irenicus didn't initially seem to be much
to do with the Shadow Thieves, they would have *investigated* Irenicus
anyway, just for the hell of it (and to find out if there were any
useful things that could be stolen and possibly sold for large sums of
cash: they are, after all, THIEVES, and stolen magical goods would
sell for valuable gold.) Knowledge is power, as they say... and if
they found a vampire in there while "casing the joint" as the saying
goes, they would immediately have looked for a connection between
Bodhi's vampires and Irenicus.

And I presume by now you've encountered the first fight on
Brynnlaw island, with three vampires. Notice that one of them was
called Valen? Yes, this is the *very same* Valen who first encountered
you in the daylight as a human thief - she was the person who told you
to go and visit Bodhi in the graveyard.
Since then, she has become a vampire - it is not explained, nor
does it actually really matter, whether this is by her own choice, or
whether she had "second thoughts" about remaining with Bodhi's guild,
and got captured trying to re-defect to Aran's Shadow Thieves and...
punished... by Bodhi. But if Valen, a former Shadow Thief employee who
"disappeared" from their guild, turned up as a vampire later, then of
course the Thieves would be looking for wherever their people were
disappearing. Quite possibly, the other vampires who were with Valen
in that ambush were also former members of the Shadow Thieves.

Also, Irenicus, not Bodhi, has been responsible for some of the
Thieves disappearing (another reason for the Thieves making a
connection between the two of them). You'll find out why.

Jonathan.

Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> Remember there was at least one vampire in Irenicus's dungeon, before
> you even escaped? It was possible to miss her, but the Shadow Thieves
> obviously didn't - when you meet her she is fighting three or four
> Shadow Thieves.

But they weren't in Irenicus's dungeon just to investigate him. By that
time they already had reason to suspect him of something (I thought), so
seeing the vampire in his dungeon shouldn't account for their initial
suspicion.

> And I presume by now you've encountered the first fight on
> Brynnlaw island, with three vampires.

Not yet, I just saved and stopped, so I didn't read past that yet.

> Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
> > Remember there was at least one vampire in Irenicus's dungeon,
before
> > you even escaped? It was possible to miss her, but the Shadow
Thieves
> > obviously didn't - when you meet her she is fighting three or four
> > Shadow Thieves.
>
> But they weren't in Irenicus's dungeon just to investigate him. By
that
> time they already had reason to suspect him of something (I
thought), so
> seeing the vampire in his dungeon shouldn't account for their
initial
> suspicion.

Yup. As I mentioned, (1) they investigate things anyway, just because
they are there, that is what the Shadow Thieves *do*: and (2) it is
Irenicus, as well as Bodhi, that is responsible for quite a large
number of the disappearing thieves - Bodhi wouldn't necessarily be the
*only* suspect. It was shortly after Irenicus arrived that the thieves
started disappearing - before Bodhi came, Irenicus was also not there.
So of COURSE he was worth investigating: to see if there was a link
between him and Bodhi, or whether he was just someone who had arrived
at an unfortunate enough time to make him a suspect.

(Which part of "Irenicus wasn't here yet - Thieves were fine:
then Irenicus arrived, Thieves started disappearing" don't you
understand?)

Hence the fact that the Thieves had already investigated the
place, and made the decision to launch an assault - one that ended
disastrously for the Thieves, in fact, but that assault wouldn't have
taken place without prior scouting which established the fact that,
yes, there *was* a link between him and Bodhi. Evidently the Thieves
had already found their evidence that Irenicus and Bodhi were linked,
although the precise *nature* of the link is not yet known to them.

Nor is it yet known, either to the Thieves or to you, *why* they
captured either you, or so MANY thieves - one of the things Aran said
was that far more had disappeared, than could be accounted for by
Bodhi's cadre of vampires (either by turning them into vampires,
recruiting them as thieves while they were still human, or drinking
their blood for vampire food).

(And if you watched the most recent cutscene involving Irenicus
and Imoen, you'll have seen the fate of at least six of the captured
Shadow Thieves - although your character doesn't know that yet. You'll
find out the fate of at least six more, later on, and this time your
character will DEFINITELY be a witness...)

Jonathan.