ThinkPad and Iomega Zip drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 2:49:12 PM

I have a TP 600E. I want to use an external usb-powered Zip drive with that.
I called the IBM tech support and they said my laptop should support it but
they're really not sure as it depends how much power this drive takes. Does
anyone here know for sure if TP 600E will support the Zip drive?
December 8, 2004 2:53:15 PM

>Does anyone here know for sure if TP 600E will support the Zip drive?

Yes, an Iomega USB ZIP-250 works my TP 600e & T-21.

Regards ... John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 10:02:06 PM

Lucar wrote:
> I have a TP 600E. I want to use an external usb-powered Zip drive
> with that. I called the IBM tech support and they said my laptop
> should support it but they're really not sure as it depends how much
> power this drive takes. Does anyone here know for sure if TP 600E
> will support the Zip drive?

Every zip drive I've ever used, including USB models, had an external
power supply. I no longer use one, but with all the USB peripherals I
have, nothing with moving parts can be run without an external power
supply. USB supplies 5v at 500ma DC which is 2.5watts max. That's not
much power for spinning up a drive.

a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 2:39:13 PM

> Every zip drive I've ever used, including USB models, had an external
> power supply. I no longer use one, but with all the USB peripherals I
> have, nothing with moving parts can be run without an external power
> supply. USB supplies 5v at 500ma DC which is 2.5watts max. That's not
> much power for spinning up a drive.

I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Iomega makes usb-powered external
zip drives.
!