The Greek

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Hello,

I have this motherboard along with an amd 955 and 4gb RAM. I am looking to buy the HD 5770 which is the best thing my money can buy and hoping i could pair it with another one in the future.

Can i fit 2 5770's on this board? i know it has 2xPCI express2.0 16x4x and will run both at 4x in crossfire and that will result in less performance but i am not sure the mobo can actually do it (it is no advertised as CrossfrireX from Gigabyte). Has anyone tried it? Or shall i assume that the 2 slots more or less guarantee it? I have trolled the internet but not sure yet.

Is the Hybrid crossfire with the 4250 on board of any use?

I wouldn't bother with the Crossfire. Frankly, being forced to run at 4x speeds will make any upgrade a waste of money. I'm not saying there won't be a performance increase, it just wouldn't be enough to justify spending the extra money.

Using the onboard graphics for Crossfire would definitely be a bad idea. The only reason you'd want to do that is if you had an extremely weak older card. Crossfiring the onboard graphics would increase the performance, but it still wouldn't be at the level of a single decent GPU.

The Greek

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
The problem is that this is my first computer (that i built) and there is so much stuff that i need to read and understand. I have spend the last 3 months reading and still there are loads to read so i made my mind and focused on the cpu (not a lot), gpu and motherbord and left the RAM and other parts to basic. So here it goes :

Processor : AMD 955 3.2Ghz
Motherboard: GA-880GMA-UD2H
GPU : XFX HD5770 1gb
RAM : 2x2Gb GEIL 1333Mhz 10666 9-9-9-9-24 667Mhz
PSU: 450W bulk
HDD : WD Caviar Blue 500Gb

Total price 495 £

What i tried to do was to leave some options open for the future (2nd gpu, 2nd HDD for Raid 0-1, extra 2x2gb RAM) but with the choice of motherboard (and psu, fans) it would really be expensive get a second 5770.

Thanks for the reply.

TRENDING THREADS