Laptop Help

TDUBS

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012
Hello,

I have a laptop mini and when I went to boot it, it gets stuck at the loading bar halfway, and just stops. I can't even push F2 for the setup menu, F8 for the Safe Mode, or F12 for the BIOS. However when I continuously press one of those, it makes the beeping noise and then on any key it beeps. At one point I was able to get a black screen that read off my CPU info, BIOS info, RAM info, Video info, etc and then an error code.

States Below:
CPU = 1 Processor Detected
1014M System RAM Passed
System BIOS Shadowed
Video BIOS Shadowed

And then the following error...

1st Error:
- Operating System not found. My solution was that something corrupted the MBR causing it to not boot fully.

2nd Error:
- Fixed Disk 0: ST9160314AS ERROR 0200: Failure Fixed Disk 0. And now I'm thinking it's a failed hard drive.

As dumb as this may sound, if it's only the OS causing this, would it be possible for me to get my info off the laptop without having the OS on the HDD or the OS being the way it is now? I've got quite important stuff.

Thanks!

Solution
I don't know what the deal is with the inability to boot, but you _should_ (unless the drive is very badly damaged) be able to pull it out of the laptop, throw it into a working desktop, and get the info off of it.

If the drive IS badly damaged, the info can still be recovered, it's just going to be harder and much more expensive.
I don't know what the deal is with the inability to boot, but you _should_ (unless the drive is very badly damaged) be able to pull it out of the laptop, throw it into a working desktop, and get the info off of it.

If the drive IS badly damaged, the info can still be recovered, it's just going to be harder and much more expensive.

Solution

TDUBS

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2012

After doing what you said and attaching the HDD to my computer, I learned it was damaged as it was making a clicking noise and not being detected on my desktop.

Thanks.