Non-conductive material to put between cpu fan backplate and case?

iczer220

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Hi, I have the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme cpu fan, and the backplate apparently is just slightly hitting my case behind the mobo because my comp won't even post when turned on (it boots up fine when sitting on a piece of cardboard and I also took some pliers and slightly pulled the part of the case that's up against the fan backplate and it booted while in the case as well - but I don't think that's a good solution as it would probably bend back eventually). What could I put between the backplate and case wall to prevent this grounding issue, preferably that I could find around the house? Paper? Thin cardboard? It has to be very thin as there is almost no gap between the backplate and case.

iczer220

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
The part of the case the backplate was hitting on is the case wall where you put your spacers and mount the mobo. I cut out some strips of paper and taped it up, and everything is good now.

errm the fan and its support should not be live and therefore should not be an issue, is the issue in fact that the fan bracket is contacting components on the back of the motherboard and the back of the case? some mobo's are not great for fans with brackets.