Problems installing win7 on new HDD

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012
I bought a new hard drive toshiba 500gb 5400rpm 2.5 for laptop, i have it connected to a laptop by a USB 2.0 to IDE / SATA Converter Cable, i can see my hdd i have activated all working perfectly but i want to install a win7 on that drive, when i run the installation its says that the installation program isnt compatible with usb external drives or something or that i need a controller because without cant be access it or something.
So how do i fix my problem?

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
1 Take your current HDD out of your laptop.
2 Put the HDD you want to install win 7 on, inside the laptop
3 Turn laptop on
4 Press whatever key your BIOS says to push to pull up the boot menu
5 Insert the Windows 7 disc into your laptop
6 choose CDROM to boot from
7 Follow installation instructions

leblanc

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2012

Im currently using a laptop that is hard to extract the hdd. So can i install from the adapter?

Thook07

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I dont think you can.

You are trying to install windows on this drive and continue to boot from this drive via USB adapter?

It just doesnt sound like a good idea at all

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
when i run the installation its says that the installation program isnt compatible with usb external drives or something or that i need a controller because without cant be access it or something.

Yes that would be a reasonable answer but i cant install it by the adapter?

Well obviously not, you probably could have hard your old HDD out and windows installed on the new one by now too.

hosten_siahaan

Honorable
Nov 24, 2012
windows have this security ti disable windows to run from external storage to avoid its use on many computer. but with some 'fix' you can bypass those securities. just google 'run windows from external hdd'. it is not a good idea though, cause ext hdd or usb kinna slow (5400rpm?) and life time is short. too much writing and reading to using for os. for emergency? it makes sense.