Is there a way to repair a damaged PCI express slot?

gdhtvs

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hi when I cut on my PC I get a message stating No signal and I can't get any video. I know it's not my monitor because it works on my other computer and the video card works on it too. Please can you tell is there something that can be done to fix or do I have to buy another motherbroad.
Thank You
Gerald Harrison

Solution
Hmm one PCIe -> http://www.dhgate.com/5189-1080-asus-ipibl-lb-desktop-motherboard/r-ff8080812aecda0c012aee73b5f02b6d.html and an older OEM PC.

Q - does the onboard video work? I noticed a VGA port...

First (1), if you have another PC that you can try your GPU in then start there. Next (2), if the GPU works and you have an extra PSU that you can borrow try it.

(1) eliminates the GPU leaving the MOBO & PSU
(2) eliminates the MOBO <OR> PSU

Otherwise take it to a shop, get a new PC, or replace the bad components diagnosing it yourself. There no other ways other than a kick to determine or repair the problem(s).
Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

This could happen for several reasons including: bad GPU, bad PSU, or bad PCIe slot. If you MOBO has a second PCIe slot the simplest test is to try that slot.

Q - What are your components? {MOBO, CPU, GPU, PSU}
Q - How old is your PC?

Hmm one PCIe -> http://www.dhgate.com/5189-1080-asus-ipibl-lb-desktop-motherboard/r-ff8080812aecda0c012aee73b5f02b6d.html and an older OEM PC.

Q - does the onboard video work? I noticed a VGA port...

First (1), if you have another PC that you can try your GPU in then start there. Next (2), if the GPU works and you have an extra PSU that you can borrow try it.

(1) eliminates the GPU leaving the MOBO & PSU
(2) eliminates the MOBO <OR> PSU

Otherwise take it to a shop, get a new PC, or replace the bad components diagnosing it yourself. There no other ways other than a kick to determine or repair the problem(s).

Solution

briansklein

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Before you try buying another mobo try doing a few things real quick. I know it sounds wives taily but try starting your comp with one GPU and one stick of ram in your first slot and make sure NOTHING is plugged in except your keyboard, mouse, vga/hdmi cable and a net connection and try that. Also make sure your power to the GPU is connected.