An upgrade from a 775build, gaming system

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hey guys, its been a while since I used to hang around here, so I cant remember exactly every data you require for helping me in this case, but I'll give it a go.

I currently have a Asus P5Q3 mobo, topped with a 2.8 Q 775 CPU. My thought was to upgrade this system to either AMD or Intel, where I want the latest stuff available. It's mostly up to you professionals to decide wether a AMD or a Intel base would suit me best. Both components are to be overclockable fully, but watercooling compability isn't fully necessary, just a bonus.

I currently also have a stick of 2x2Gb Corsair memories, which I also'd like to upgrade to anything great for OCing although capped by 32bit OS.

I think I might stick along with my previously unequipped GTX260, unless I'm recommended to swap over to ATI(i'm an Intel-guy, and I have a very little knowledge concerning ATIcards). In the future, CrossFireX/SLI, no matter which manufacturer, is to be possible still.

I'm also wondering what amount of Hz a Samsung P2050 could be running at maximum capacity. If not 100, I'm gladly accepting other thought concerning 100hz > CRT > (<3ms) monitors.

I mostly stick with Counter-Strike but I usually test new games and similiar, so great gaming performance is a main priority in this build. I requre as fast connection between the computer and the server as possible, so if necessary, I'd also pick up an external network card.

Thanks alot for every reply, I'm glad there's forums alive like this, cheers mates

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Since I forgot to post into the mainpost, I post the budget limit here.

I'd pay around 8000SEK for the parts, which is around USD 1100.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Well, if you're planning to stick with your GPU for the moment, maybe you should SLI that for now, then build a new system in half a year or so when you need (well.. want :p) to.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
If you keep the HDD, the ODD, the case, the monitor & the KB/Mouse, then 1100 USD gives you a virtually brand new state of the art system. That GPU's gotta go if you're into gaming. With that budget, you can definitely afford it.

CPU : $290 Intel Core i7-930

Mobo : $240 ASUS Rampage III Gene

Or the slightly cheaper $210 GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R

You can keep your RAM, even though 1366 demands triple channel - $150 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB)

PSU : $90 Antec TruePower 750

GPU : (optional) - GTX 460/470 depending on your budget.

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
he doesn't need an i7 ^ *rolleyes* an i5 will do, its for gaming

but really I would go with an AMD x4 955 so next time you upgrade you won't have to buy a new motherboard like when bulldozer comes out... this is a good motherboard,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131631&cm_re=m4a89gtd-_-13-131-631-_-Product

Go with a 5850 or 5830 or 5770 depending on budget..

Some ram,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231318&cm_re=g.skill_eco-_-20-231-318-_-Product
its 1333 but its C7.. and you can always try to OC them,

Don't go cheap on the PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010&Tpk=HX750

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes it will, but his budget is $1100 & even with the i7 system + 470, the total cost comes to only under 1000.

@ tju2an

With a 930, you still get to save about $100 or so. Of course, prices outside USA are higher. So your savings might not be high, but it will certainly be within your budget & better than anything out there.

If you want a i5 system however ---

CPU : $210 Intel Core i5-760

Mobo : $150 ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

RAM : $102 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

GPU : $310 GTX 470 (Fermi)

I only gave you the Newegg links for an understanding of the exact specs you need. You don't have to go with these same brands, but try sticking to the well known ones (Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, EVGA, Corsair, G.Skill, etc).

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Many thanks people!

According to the CPU, it does not necessarely have to be i7 if I should stick to Intel, if the i5 are more for gaming, I'd rather pick up one of those. And if you think the AMD CPUs perform more power to please a gamer's needs, I'd rather pick up a AMD CPU instead :)

I think I'll stick with this set of RAM, since an upgrade not really will be necessary due to the 32bit OS(XP).

And wether the ATI or nVidia builds the better graphic cards, Ill do the same as for CPU and stick for the brand pleasing the gamer most. I barely have any good ways to compare the actual difference between theese, so your words are once again incredibly much worthy to me :)

Ill pick up the parts in Sweden if I'll pay at no more than a 100 USD difference in the final price for the parts.

If I'd go for the nVidia, a GTX 470 is probably what you'd recommend, and for ATI a 5970 is probably what I'm looking for?

If I am to stick along with Intel, an i5 760 or an i7 930, but if it's AMD it's a Phantom x4 II 955?

And the mobo-jungle is still huge, where I'd rather let you decide after picking either AMD or Intel :)

And also, what should I pay for a Newtwork card? I could use another one since my curreny uses to take a vacation every hour or so, but where a reboot returns it back. And since I have to get one, I'd rather pick up one which abilities includes lowering my ping ingame :kaola:

Thanks alot for all replies! :)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Please check out the performance benchmark between the 760 & the 955 - cpubenchmark. The 965 is 5 slots lower than the 760. Even the 965 is 3 slots lower. But you do get to save 'bout 20 dollars if you go with AMD.

The i7 is even more powerful, but also more expensive. So you might as well stick to the 760/955 depending on your budget. The thing is Intel makes much more powerful (if slightly overpriced) processors, though AMD wins the mainstream value-for-money market hands down.

GPU : The 5970 is almost thrice as expensive as a 470, but a lot more powerful. It'll almost be $800 in Europe (I think) & will be totally out of your budget. You wont be needing it anyways unless you wanna play Crysis/ Metro maxed out @ 1080p.

NVidia : Go with the 470 i linked you to, or the GTX 480 (Fermi) 1.5GB

ATI : Radeon HD 5870 1GB

If you choose to go with Intel, prolly the 480 is gonna be your best bet if you go with 1 card, or SLI'ing the 460 if you go with 2.

Network cards cost anywhere between $10 -$100 for high end wireless ones. Get something from D-Link maybe.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for that amazing compare site, I checked up both High-End GPUs and CPUs, and decided that I probably will pick up a 760 and a 480/470, depending on how the price differs from the other one(wasn't really able to see a performance/price report for the GPUs, or I am just blinded by the light :kaola: )

As for the Mobo, ASUS P7P55D-E Pro is still what you recommend me to pick up? I see you wrote it's a part of the i5 build(which I decided to go for)you recommended earlier, and thanks once again for that reply.

And if we'd imagine I ordered the parts from newegg, what would probably result in the most expensive alternative? Shipping prices is probably pretty expensive since it's across the sea, and even here in Sweden, although the first class mail, they really know how to set high prices for delivering. What would I probably save most $ by doing? Getting them directly from a nearby store or getting them shipped from wherever they ship it from(America?)?
Newegg seem to have comboprices which hopefully is included :)

Very thankful for your replies!

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
The Asus mobo mentioned is the best for i5 builds, it has USB/SATA III and CF/SLI capability.

Your best bet is to order from a site in Sweden, even with shipping you should still get it cheaper than store bought, and of course you have a wider chioce of items.

I am guessing that your RAM is DDR2, this means you cannot keep it with your new build as the new motherboard is DDR3 so getting 4gb of G SKill 1600mhz CL7 RAM is required.

Also, once you change your motherboard (which you need to do for a new CPU) you will have to reinstall Windows XP on your HDD. Since you are going through the whole reinstallation process anyway, I would highly recommend buying Windows 7 64 bit, it should easily fit in your budget and being able to make use of the full 4gb RAM is very good for gaming and will become more important in years to come.

As you plan on SLIing in future it would be worth going with a 750W PSU, I suggest Corsair as they are very good quality.

Then you are left to choose between GTX460s with intention of SLIing them, or go with the GTX470 and SLI later. If OCing you may even need a more powerful PSU for the GTX470s

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

I do have a 2x2Gb DDR3 sticks now, and if I can get over a cheap pair of 6gb+, I have a win7 64 bit for applying to the system, what I'm afraid of is that programs won't be compatible anymore.

Also, a, to me, crazy idea was to install an identic PSU to the one I already have in use, since my chassis got space for two, I theoretically should be able to use the second for a second GPU, but wether it's healthy for the system or not, is out of my knowledge :)

I've found a package including the 760, the P7P55D-E Pro for around 400 USD, which probably will do :)

I think I should wait with a new GPU, partially since the ATI 6x series as released in not too long time

Just to clear it out, mobo is chosen, CPU is chosen, if I can find great Ramsticks Ill take them, and GPU is checked up later :)

Thanks for the reply, once again :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
A hint concerning types of RAM sticks would also be very appreciated, e.g DOMINATOR from Corsair, or similiar. Also if a "higher?" latency would be to prefer if the goal is to game quite alot.

Thanks! :)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
As far as I know, Newegg doesn't ship abroad. Check out the prices on Swedish websites, as well as local stores and then decide.

32 bit Windows use only about 3.2-3.4 GB of RAM. If you use Win7, you can upgrade to 64 by paying a small fee. In any case, there's a very (in)famous Swedish website from where you can get it for free :kaola:

If you never wanna SLI, this is a cheaper option - ASUS P7P55D-E LX - no SLI though.

IMO The most full featured 1156 board under $100 - ASRock H55M Pro

Asteldian's right. You'll need DDR3 RAM. That's why I linked you to the 1600 Mhz CL7 kit. Stick to those specs. As long as you pick a fairly reputable company, brands are not important. Specs are. G.Skill, Corsair, Kingston, OCZ - Whatever's available at a fair price in your country.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Lower the latency, better it is. CL7 is better than CL8, which in turn is better than CL9.

Normally, Ripjaws from G.Skill & XMS/Dominator from Corsair, are the ones to go with. Even though the Dominators are a bit overpriced, they OC better & has huge heat spreaders. You only get 'em if you wanna OC 'em.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for both replies!

I can afford the P7P and I will probably try out SLI as that day'll come, and as far as I've understodd concerning the specs between the ASRock and the P7P, the P7P conquer the ASRock mobo enough to consider the more expensive.

I am currently using XP Pro, although I might consider a change to either Win7 32bit or 64(which I prefer if programs still are compatible).

Ill try to find a CL7 pair marked XMS, since OC'ing isnt most important if the sticks can work at that frequensy and amount of memory anyway

Thanks for replies once again :)

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Most programs that work in XP will work in Win7, the main exceptions being things like anti-virus programs. If you're really concerned about compatibility you could dual-boot XP and 7.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
As I get the P7P55D and the 760 tomorrow, is it worth to pick up a Gigabyte 460/Asus 470 to SLI up with my current 260? Or aisn't this duo SLIable together?
My point is that with 2 GPUs, why let one of them just hang loose without using it, as it could increase the graphics memory a somewhat.

Thanks for any infos :)

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
SLI only works between the same type of card, so you can't use the other one if you get a new one. You could sell it to help buy a new one. Also, when using SLI, the memory isn't increased, you're just splitting the workload between 2 cards.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
As Mark said - You can mix and match graphics card manufacturers, memory clocks and GPU core clocks - as long as the GPUs are the same.

What it means is that a GTS 260 1GB has to go with a GTS 260 1GB & a 460 Fermi 768MB will only go with a 460 Fermi 768MB.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for that info, I didnt really have a clue that the SLI worked that way, but its definately worth to keep in mind.

However, I picked up my P7P and the 760 earlier today, but before I start installing theese components, I'd like a last sign for telling if theese parts are the ones Im looking for, or if I should change them to other parts. I havn't bought neither the GPU nor the Ram sticks, but as for the GPU, I'd be pleased about any info if I should pick any specific manufacterer for the 470, or if they all are equipped with identic parts with no difference at all concerning OC abilities etc.

And the RAM sticks, as I've understood so far, the CLX, is where X is the number in the latency X-X-X-24 for example. If my theory is correct, 9-9-9-24 is CL9, and 8-8-8-20 is CL8. Since I am looking for a low Latency as possible, is CL7 a limit to aim below or hit? Found a pair of Dominator XMS3, with 4gb memory and CL8, however I have no idea if it's what I'm looking for :)

Since I have to hit the store tomorrow anyway, should I purchase another PSU for this system too? I have a PSU created by Tagan, which is at 800W. I am not so sure about the Ampere and Voltages able, but the modelnumber is TG800-U33.

I can still afford a 470, the mentioned RAM sticks and a 1150W(or less, ofcourse) PSU :)

Many thanks for all inputs! Peace

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Are you talking about overclocking your video card, or CPU? CPU OC'ing has nothing to do with the GPU.

BTW, if you're looking for suggestions on brands, I normally go with Sapphire for ATI & EVGA for Nvidia. But you can't really go wrong with MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, XFX, etc.

Only the first "x" signifies the Cas Latency timing - tCL. The next three are - tRCD timing, tRP timing & tRAS timing. The timings are not identical. You can have 7-8-7-24, or 6-8-6-20, etc.

You can check this out if you wanna know more about RAM timings - techpowerup.com

BTW, go with these if you can - G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

You do not need any more power. You have plenty as it is. It's an older model and you'll do well to ask the store-owner/salesguy as to whether you'll be needing any connectors for the GTX 4xx. I think you might need a molex to PCIe adapter for 4 dollars or so. (not sure, though)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

1. I'll pick up the Asus/Sparkle/Gigabye/Sapphire 470/480 as soon as it's in stock at the store. As I've understood so far, they are are clockable and there's barely anything that matters concerning the setup between the manufacterers.

2. I see, learned alot from this site, many thanks. I'll try to find a pair of that memory, and Since I got some cash left over, I'll get 4sticks ,2setsx2eachx2Gb=8Gb if possible aswell. Ang the timing seemd to be nice assuming the points you've told me are correct :)

3. This one is able to support my current 260 with enough power and cables, and according to this difference between 260,470 and 480 , I just think the 480 needs a different type. Although, worth to keep in mind, as I plugged my powercables to the Graphiccard, both connectors have a 2pin external cable sticking out just an inch before the 6pin-end.

Also, while discussing theese parts, is it a good idea to pick up a Solid State Drive to run the OS and just Counter-Strike on? It seems like it's more reliable and works at a higher speed, which to me is the most important among software, to be run at a great speed. If this ain't recommended, I planned getting a Spinopoint F3 1TB.

Many thanks for your patience and knowledge :)

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
I also found this set available here, which I can afford to pick up if recommended
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224&Tpk=TR3X6G1600C8D . They are, if $1=7SEK, just about $30 more expensive than newegg here in Sweden. That's about $80 more than the G.SKILL ECO Series 2x2 you told me to go with, but wether theese are either better or worse, is probably up to you. However, it's not XMS nor a set of DOMINATORS, but the reviews I've read tells that they are good, and I had personally troubles finding better ones within that price range.

Once again, thanks alot! :)

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Not to be a jerk, but that graph is pretty much useless. So the i5-760 is 319 better than the Phenom II X4 965? 319 what? What does that number mean?

Here's a somewhat more realistic comparison of benchmarks. Phenom II X4 955 vs. i5-750. Change to 965 if you like, but the 760 isn't in the benchmarks yet, unfortunately.

With the caveat that at most normal resolutions, GPU matters much more than CPU -- for most games, the 955 performs pretty similarly to the i5-750. Far Cry 2 is one of the exceptions, it really seems to be unhappy with something about AMD. For most other apps, the i5 performs somewhat better, but perhaps not $50-60 better.

All of that being said, AMD vs. Intel should probably be decided on other factors, like SLI vs. CrossFire, or other features provided by the various chipsets. Or price, of course.

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Thanks for that reply, coldsleep!

The 319 is probably the result from that site's benchmarking and recieved the result 965 + 319(I can't really remember what scores they had).

I think I'll stick to the 760 and the P7P55D-E Pro as long as I am not recommended anything else. I just have to pick a GPU(which I've decided already) And a set of RAM sticks. Thanks alot for your meaning info although! :)