First Time Build - Help with Parts

speed8

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
hi everyone :)

I'm going to build a new pc that would replace my old amd sempron.

Motherboard: Asus P7P55 LX
Processor: Intel Core i5 750
VGA Card: ECS Black Series 260 GTX
Hard Disk: Seagate 500 GB SATA
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W
Optical Drives: (2X) LG Internal Gh22 Sata (maybe I will reuse the ones from my old pc)

I wanted to know a good case for this pc and if the power supply is a good quality one that could handle my system.
I am planning to use the computer for a long time (more than 5 years) and the things I would use it for are gaming (mostly racing games) and web browsing.
Also i thought of getting a 250 gts instead of a 260 gtx. I read that it does perform very closely to the 260 gtx.

By the way I live in sri lanka, so some parts may not be available here.

Solution
Hi speed, if you want an i5 760 based system and can afford an Intel build, there's no reason to go with AMD, unless you really like 'em. Stick to your 760 if you want to.

Just look at how far back the 955 is, compared to the 760. Yes, the 955 is prolly more VFM, but the 760 is a much better bet especially for gaming.

EDIT : CPU Benchmarks

Better Mobo if you can afford it : ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - at least go with the E Version, it's only 10 bucks more expensive.

RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) - You could also keep the RAM you've chosen, though mine is gonna be much faster.

HDD : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB

GPU : Radeon HD 5770

PSU : OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

CASE : Rosewill...
Not a good build. First, the GPU is extremely weak compared to current cards. If you insist on nVidia (and they're losing right now in terms of price, performance and pretty much everything else), I would only look at the GTX 460.

Second, the i5 is a good gaming CPU, but it's not the best choice. It's expensive (AMD's top of the line X4 955 is $100 cheaper with the boards). Also, Intel is releasing new sockets byt he end of the year. That means the current i5s are going to be obsolete.

Third, Rosewill isn't the best brand for GPUs. I'd recommend sticking to the major brands (Corsair, Silverstone, SeaSonic, Antec and XFX).

Here's what I'd look at:

CPU: X4 955
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 (no Crossfire/SLI) or Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 (Crossfire, no SLI)
RAM: Any non-OCZ 1333 mhz or 1600 mhz 2x2 GB CAS Latency 7 kit
GPU: GTX 460 1 GB or HD 5850
PSU: 550W from the above brands (no Crossfire) or a 650W (for Crossfire)
Case: Antec 300 (or 300 Illusion), Coolermaster 690, Antec 900 (or 902) or HAF 922. Whichever one you like best or fits your budget.
HDD: Make sure that's the 7200.12 500 GB. Also, check out the Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB. The 1 TB version of those models shouldn't be much more, so they'd be a good upgrade.

speed8

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I looked at the GTX 460, but it's not available here. The 280 and even the 295 are available but they cost too much and are out of my budget.
I may look into the AMD phenom though

speed8

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Ok I found some HD 5770 at a good price and also an antec psu.
I just looked into an amd phenom and a motherboard but here they cost the same as an intel core i5 setup. I also read many review stating that the i5 is a bit ahead of the phenom. So I may go with the i5.
Anyway I forgot to mention, i don't think I will use SLI or Crossfire and I won't overclock also.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hi speed, if you want an i5 760 based system and can afford an Intel build, there's no reason to go with AMD, unless you really like 'em. Stick to your 760 if you want to.

Just look at how far back the 955 is, compared to the 760. Yes, the 955 is prolly more VFM, but the 760 is a much better bet especially for gaming.

EDIT : CPU Benchmarks

Better Mobo if you can afford it : ASUS P7P55D-E Pro - at least go with the E Version, it's only 10 bucks more expensive.

RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) - You could also keep the RAM you've chosen, though mine is gonna be much faster.

HDD : SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB

GPU : Radeon HD 5770

PSU : OCZ Fatal1ty 550W

CASE : Rosewill CHALLENGER Case

Solution

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
OH! I didn't notice you're in SRL. AMD is more expensive there than Intel anyways. So basically with AMD , you get less performance for a higher price!

BTW What were Randiv & Dilshan thinking against Sehwag the other day??? :ouch:

And why was Sanga wrestling Nathan McCullum? :p

EDIT : You're probably not gonna get OCZ / XFX in SRL, and Antec / Corsair etc are gonna be obscenely expensive. Your best bet will probably be a 500 Watt Coolermaster Extreme power PSU for a good price / performance ratio.

speed8

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I couldn't watch anything these days.
I found an antec psu at a good price even cheaper than the rosewill.
Anyway it's not the 760 but 750. Still I think it is better

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
You'll need at least 500 watts if not 550. Make sure the Antec is an ATX spec. Can you link me to it?

You can go with the 760 if it's only a thousand or so bucks more expensive. Otherwise, go with the 750. Just the 100 Mhz slower anyways. You can always OC the 750 to 3 odd on stock.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
1. As I said, it doesn't matter with the 750/760. Same chip. The 760 is just a lilttle quicker.

2. Any ATX spec Antec 550 Watt PSU from any of their lines (Earthwatts/Neo/Truepower/Basiq) should be good enough. If you're talking about online stores you can provide a link and I'll check it out for you and you can get it from a local neibourhood store.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Are these prices all inclusive? Like taxes, import duties etc?

Buy a cheaper $25-30 case. (2500-3000 SRL, maybe). Any ATX Mid-Tower should be compatible.

The parts look alright to me. Just try to get 'em cheaper locally, if you can.

Also, what happens with imports, if something is found to be defective? Do you have to pay for shipping once again?

Thank God, we don't have to pay for Windows. Otherwise, with those prices, we wont have any money left over for monthly internet bills.

samk

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
If you're purchasing in two months you should wait at least another month before doing some research...sounds like w/ all the SSD's coming out the prices will be dropping soon. Your pc then and now could look completely different. Just read up on the components so that youf amiliarize yourself with the terms and then in a month take a look at the offerings online

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yup, wait up for a couple of months. Prices should come down by then. In any case, if shipping from the US is not included, then prices are gonna go up astronomically. Shipping from within SRL is gonna be bad enough as it is. Normally, local retail is gonna be overall cheaper, I think.

Wait around, do some research in your town, before you buy. If you live outside of Colombo/Galle/Dambulla/Jaffna, or one of the bigger towns and computer hardware ain't freely available, consider traveling to a bigger town near your home to get the parts. Even that will be cheaper than buying online (I think).

speed8

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
ya i'm going with that one for some time, parts are still too expensive here. Also, since it is my first build, I want something cheaper to practise with.
Anyway thanx for helping me and i will definitely come here if I will need help in the future :)