Sound blaster audigy 2 zs optical input

said1206

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
Hello, i have an audigy 2zs sound card and im attempting to run an optical cable from my PS3 to the sound card so i can get better sound. I plugged the optical cable into both my PS3 and the Optical in port on the sound card but im getting no sound... help, please. =/

n2it

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I bought the X-Fi titanium from creative and ran into the same problem. It seems that to run the signal through the fiber optic cable you can't use any of the apps on the card for say speaker separation so if you use the fiber optic cable you're screwed

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010
I'm having the same concern. I was intending to transfer a digital 5.1 sound source from an HD streamer to the sound card via the optical in via toslink cable.

So you're saying the sound card's digital input (optical toslink input) can only get digital stereo? How would the digital sound be outputted? Through the sound card's analogue outputs or via the sound card's digital output, which goes to a device that decodes the digital stereo to digital surround?

How much better would the sound be if the OP did what you said as opposed to using a regular stereo cable, from PS3 analogue output to the sound card's analogue input?

"Analogue" as in either 1/8mm (3.5mm) mini-jacks or RCA jacks.

Stealth3si

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2010

So whatever sound that comes out of the sound card directly to the speakers are all analogue signal, unless one plugs a digital-surround-decoding-device between the card and the speakers.