Sign in with
Your question

ATI 4850 to television weirdness

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2010 6:43:37 PM

I am trying to get an MSI R4850-T2D512 to connect to a television. The path to the television is from the video card’s DVI output, through the MSI-supplied DVI-to-HDMI adapter, to the HDMI input on an Onkyo SR-707 receiver, then on to a Mitsubishi Y577 television. The computer is running Windows XP pro. All drivers are updated as of v.10.6. The input chain from receiver to television has worked with a Blu-Ray player and a laptop running Win 7, and the receiver/television are capable of displaying a 1080p signal.

I have had a difficult time getting the computer to boot and display only on the television. Initial weirdness included seeing the initial Windows boot logo on a black background that disappeared when the computer was to switch to the blue-background logo. That is, right after the Windows chime, when its display changes to blue then the desktop, I lost all output signal to the television. Compounding the weirdness, I could boot into safe mode all the way to the desktop.

Then I hooked a CRT monitor up and tried booting both. This seemed to work—I had graphics and sound on both displays. I used Windows display properties (i.e., not Catalyst Control) to switch the television to main display, rebooted, and everything is almost right. If I reboot with the CRT detached, I get the above problem; I can’t get video past the initial logo-on-black boot screen. Plug the CRT back in, and viola—there it is.

Any thoughts?

a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 6:53:46 PM

Start with Computer video direct to tv.
First switch outputs on the graphics card.(1 is primary 1 is secondary)
any help?
make sure the selected resolution is supported by the Tv.
Tv displaying 16:9
m
l
July 16, 2010 7:01:21 PM

Thanks.

Getting to the direct inputs is a PITA, but will futz until I can get there. I had tried that at first, too, and encountered the same problem.

The TV/receiver are capable of taking the PC's inputs, verified both via the laptop and Blu-Ray connection, and by getting the 1080 signal to come through to it when the CRT is connected.

I've also switched ports on the graphics card to no aviail (i.e., the same ability to connect both remained, as did the inability to connect just the television).

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 7:46:14 PM

Try things at a lower resolution, say 1xxx by 720 on the vertical. and/or fewer colors
m
l
July 17, 2010 1:57:42 PM

[SOLVED]

How, I'm not exactly sure. Or rather, I’m not sure what the issue was in the first place. Perhaps it was just a matter of doing things in the right order. Anyway, in case someone comes along with a similar problem I might as well leave what breadcrumbs as I can.

So when we last left… I had the TV and the CRT monitor both working. I got there via Windows’ desktop preferences advanced settings. A host of things didn’t work, and much frustration ensued.

I then went back to the Catalyst Control Center. Within that, under Displays Manager>Displays properties, I made a series of changes (stupidly, I didn’t write down each step) until it too had the TV as primary, the CRT as secondary, and the desktop from the primary extended (but not cloned) to the CRT.

From there, I right-clicked on the display map (over on the right side of the screen) and unchecked “enable.” I was only able to do that once the TV had both “enabled” and “primary” checked. As soon as the CRT was disabled, its screen went blank and all I had was the TV.

It’s been stable since last night. I’ve rebooted and cold booted, and it’s still showing up on the television. I’ve increased a few of the defaults (i.e., system font size) to make it a bit easier on the eyes, but it’s coming through at 1080p.

Half Life, for the record, kicks ass on a 57” screen and 5.1 sound.

m
l
!