Sign in with
Your question

Can I install an ATI raedon over nvidia drivers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 16, 2010 7:08:42 PM

Today i bought an ATI Raedon HD 4550 to install it on my pc thats running vista 32 bits. I installed the drivers and installed the graphic card but as soon as teh windows loading bar finishes I can hear the pc loading my desktop and stuff but I cant see anything at all its completely black :( . Could it be that i still have the Nvidia drivers. My pc was using the integrated video card it came with from factory an nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430. Is there anything i can do to make the new graphic card work or am I doomed and need a different one? I woudl really appreciate some help :( 
a b U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 7:12:50 PM

No.

First off, download driver-sweeper :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-%28...

Remove any previous drivers in "add-remove programs" section.

Then you run driver-sweeper to make sure all Nvidia/PhysX related files have been removed. Download the new drivers and save to desktop. Then you re-boot and run driver-sweeper again just to make sure that you have deleted everything. Shut down the PC, install new card, boot and install new drivers and you are done.

Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 16, 2010 7:18:47 PM

Wait, I need to remove the nvidia drivers to install the ATI ones or the ATI ones i installed as well cause it still running with the nvidia one. I'm sorry im a bit slow on this >.< I'll never be a tech girl :( 
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 16, 2010 7:25:17 PM

Uninstall/driversweeper both and start fresh with the latest drivers from the link I gave you.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 16, 2010 7:27:30 PM

alrht wil do tha tyv for yu help!
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 16, 2010 7:39:55 PM

No problem. Let us know how it goes.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 16, 2010 8:52:28 PM

uso yeah, that dint go well >.< i downloaded the drivers from the link from amd and then did th sweep thing guru and deleted every Nvidia drivers, when I installed the card and turned on my pc it was all black and i freaked out, somehow i managed to run it in safe mode and it restored my pc back with the Nvidia drivers it deleted. I tried but its way too confusing for me :(  I think its because im blond lol :( 
a c 376 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
July 16, 2010 9:38:40 PM

When the monitor was black where was it plugged into?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2010 12:51:55 AM

it was plugged to teh new video card, i tried it both ways in teh odl port and the video card and none worked :( 
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 17, 2010 1:30:50 AM

You may have to turn the onboard GPU off via BIOS.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2010 4:32:38 AM

how do I do that?
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 17, 2010 11:32:10 AM

When the machine is booting up you have to quickly hit the F2 or Delete key, this should take you to the BIOS screen.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2010 5:43:51 PM

ok on the Onboard drivers, there r 2 PATA and SATA drivers and both are enabled. Are those the ones?
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
a c 171 Î Nvidia
July 17, 2010 6:25:38 PM

No, you're looking for something referring to "VGA".
!