Your question

Configured RAID now no more?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • NAS / RAID
  • Intel
Last response: in Motherboards
June 30, 2011 10:36:32 PM

I'm a n00b at RAIDs so please bare with me. Is this how RAID is meant to work?

I created a RAID0 volume using the IMSM (Intel Matrix onboard RAID on the Asus P658xD-E mobo). this was 4TB in total (2x2TB HDDs)

Then within Windows, I then created a STRIPED Volume and shows as 4TB single partition (as how I configured it)

After I rebooted the system, the Intel controller basically does not see the members anymore but only as induvidual disks, but in Windows its still a stripped volume.

any ideas?!

More about : configured raid

a c 236 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 1, 2011 12:06:06 AM

Why did you have to recreate the RAID in Windows? Usually it's created from the BIOS and then used as a single drive in Windows.
July 1, 2011 12:29:03 AM

because it didnt make it into 1 disk or didnt see it as 1 disk in Windows
Related resources
July 1, 2011 12:58:02 AM

nope. not my boot disk
a c 236 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 1, 2011 2:36:36 AM

Then it should work if you use GPT.
July 1, 2011 7:12:25 AM

yes i know.

hmm. you didnt read my question correctly....
a c 236 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
July 1, 2011 1:19:59 PM

I reread your original post and I still can't figure out why you recreated the RAID in Windows. It's normal for Intel Matrix to no longer see the RAID because you broke it when you converted it to a Windows RAID. You don't have to redo the RAID in the BIOS. If you haven't already done it, download and install Intel Rapid Storage Technology and use it to recreate and monitor the RAID 0. That tool also provides a lot of valuable info such as disk model, serial number, sector size, etc.
!