Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problem with my XFX 5850?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2010 7:38:26 PM

Hi, I recently purchased all brand new components for a fresh computer build about 1 week ago.

Here are the components:

Intel Core i7 930 @ stock settings (cooled by a Zalman 9900ALED)
Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard
Corsair HX750 Power Supply
G.Skill Ripjaws 2 X 3 GB (6GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
Antec Twelve Hundred Full Tower Case
XFX Radeon 5850 Video Card
HP 2159m 1080p 21.5" LCD Monitor (1920 X 1080 resolution)

All of this is running perfectly fine on Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit. Browsing the internet, playing HD videos, and just opening files and programs is very quick compared to my old dual core computer.

The problem comes into play whenever I play a game. I usually play World of Warcraft almost every day and I tend to get anywhere from 40 fps to 60 fps (depending on where I'm at) when all settings are set on Ultra (minus the shadow effects). The problem is that on some occasions, the screen will sort of flicker as if there is a bad connection. I can confirm that this occurs on DVI and HDMI connections. Now, remember, this only happens when I am playing WoW. In fact, I have played other games with the absolute maxed settings on them (Half-Life 2, Borderlands, etc.) including the highest AA of around 8X or 16X. I seem to get at least 30 fps just from looking at the smoothness of gameplay. I havent noticed any flickering in any games besides WoW. Also, sometimes the flickering is bad enough that it flickers for like 1 second and the screen goes black. When this happens, I can sometimes manually open the task manager to close the game out and everything will be fine again.

The thing that worries me is that sometimes, when I start the computer up, the screen is shown in a shade of green. Everything shows on the screen fine whenever the bios, etc. are loading up to get to the OS, but it's just in green. This only happened to me twice so far but that is a lot considering this computer has only been built for about 1 week.

Also note that I play my games in the maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 that my monitor can display.

Again, everything works very well when this problem does not occur but when it does occur, you do notice it. This isn't a problem of things like artifacting or anything like that. The graphics card generally stays anywhere from 35C to 40C when not playing games and goes between 38C to 45/50C when playing games (depending on the graphics settings and how long I have been playing, etc.)

If I have to, I can use the MemOK feature of my motherboard to test my ram if that can be causing this. I have also not tried using stress-testing programs yet. To me, this doesn't seem to be an issue of overheating since the temps stay fairly low most of the time. I am currently not overclocking anything on the computer and the CPU stays cool at around 40C most of the time (45C+ sometimes while gaming).

I have the latest version of the Catalyst drivers from ATI (not XFX) and have been using the Overdrive feature to modify fan speeds a bit. That is all I have done with the program; no OCing or anything of that sort.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'm hoping that this is not a case where I will have to RMA and use my warranty with XFX. If anyone needs more information about my system, just ask me. :-)

Edit: This is my very first build in terms of "from the bottom up." I have replaced things like ram and video cards before but this is the first time I have completed an entire computer build from scratch due to finances.

More about : problem xfx 5850

July 17, 2010 4:46:14 AM

Quote:
sound to me like a bad card.which connector u used to connect the monitor.also power supply which one u use.

The connector I am using is a basic HDMI connector atm. My power supply is the Corsair HX750. It is a good power supply overall and seems to have good 80plus ratings.

It's not that this is really a problem but it is just annoying since it interrupts me when I'm playing a game.
m
l
July 17, 2010 5:21:43 AM

I would try another CCC version i currently run 10.4 on my XFX 5850.
m
l
Related resources
July 19, 2010 6:09:49 PM

Okay, so now am pretty sure that it is the card that is the problem. I have installed my old XFX 9800GT and the problem doesn't occur at all. I installed the latest drivers for the 9800GT and I played some games for about 3+ hours on max settings. No problems. I sent a support ticket to XFX to see if they can't help me fix this issue. If I have to RMA it, I might just return it to Newegg or have it exchanged since I can use the 9800GT in the meantime for my games.

This problem is so weird though. I am using the exact same cable, monitor, and setup as with the 5850 and the problem just isn't happening with my old card. This tells me that it is very likely that it is the card... The problem itself, again, was like the screen was bouncing or flashing. It was as if a connection was loose but when I was playing a game with the 5850, the cables were secure and the tower wasn't moving. Also, the problem occurred using either the DVI cable or the HDMI cable, so I don't think it is a connection issue. It isn't an overheating issue because it wouldn't go over 45C most of the time. It may be that a component is bad or that the software is corrupted or something...
m
l
July 19, 2010 6:11:41 PM

same here, 10.4's seem to be the most stable ATM.
m
l
July 19, 2010 6:16:21 PM

OvrClkr said:
same here, 10.4's seem to be the most stable ATM.

Is/was your card having the same problem? I have the Catalyst Control Center version 2010.0527.1242.20909. Is this version stable?
m
l
July 19, 2010 6:31:53 PM

I had all sorts of issues with the 10.5's and 10.6's, reverted back to the 10.4's and everything went back to normal.
m
l
July 19, 2010 7:05:13 PM

XFX support just responded to my ticket saying that they think it is a software issue. I think I may just do a complete wipe of my hard drive soon because I was thinking of upgrading my Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit to a 64 bit version in order to fully utilize my 6 GB's of ram.
m
l
July 20, 2010 3:56:59 AM

ati's new 5xxx series cards are showing a lot of problems so far.....it's pulling me back from buying a 5870 :fou: 
m
l
July 20, 2010 4:12:58 AM

Try running furmark to see if its an issue when your GPU is running at 100% load, if it is it will be obvious.

I agree with the others on rolling back to 10.4 if you havent already, not sure why 10.6 has issues but it definitely does.
m
l

Best solution

July 20, 2010 5:47:43 AM

BradS said:
So you say you have this version of the drivers working in stable conditions with no problems?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/10-4/Page...

I can't open that link but by the looks of it I assume you have vista 32bit, if so I would download this one :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-10.4-WHQL-Wind...|-Vista-32-bit-download-2529.html

I use Windows 7 64bit therefor I downloaded this one :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-10.4-WHQL-Wind...|-Vista-64-bit-download-2530.html

download the new driver and save to desktop, make sure you uninstall the driver via control panel and use the ATI Install Manager to remove the current driver, then use driver-sweeper to remove any unwanted leftover files, re-boot and run driver sweeper again if no files are detected install new drivers and re-boot.
July 21, 2010 7:15:27 AM

OvrClkr said:
I can't open that link but by the looks of it I assume you have vista 32bit, if so I would download this one :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-10.4-WHQL-Wind...|-Vista-32-bit-download-2529.html

I use Windows 7 64bit therefor I downloaded this one :

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-10.4-WHQL-Wind...|-Vista-64-bit-download-2530.html

download the new driver and save to desktop, make sure you uninstall the driver via control panel and use the ATI Install Manager to remove the current driver, then use driver-sweeper to remove any unwanted leftover files, re-boot and run driver sweeper again if no files are detected install new drivers and re-boot.

Okay, thanks. I currently am using Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded the file from the link you posted so hopefully everything should work.
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:36:54 PM

Check your settings in CCC Overdrive for the GPU clock and Memory clock, if the clocks show 157/300 then that is definitely the problem; if so, it is a driver/software problem.
m
l
July 21, 2010 2:43:43 PM

157/300 is normal when the GPU is at idle, its called 2d mode.
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:01:05 PM

Hey guys, just thought I'd post letting everyone know that the problem is now fixed. I believe it was something to do with the drivers. I recently did a complete wipe of my hard drive and installed 64 bit Windows 7 Professional (I got the cheap upgrade from Microsoft for students). I also installed the 10.4 drivers. Everything is working smoothly. I have been playing games and things with it and the problem doesn't occur anymore. Thanks to those who contributed to my problem. ^_^

So basically, if anyone ever searches and has this same exact problem, this is here to let them know that it was a software/driver problem. I had previously had nvidia drivers installed from using my previous XFX 9800GT so that was probably conflicting with the ATI drivers.

Also, just fyi, XFX told me that if a problem occurs with a card physically, the problem will be persistant, i.e. artifact or stripes on the screen. Since my problem was periodic and not continuous, it was a problem with the software. Hopefully someone will find this info useful if they have this same problem.

Cheers!
m
l
July 29, 2010 2:05:24 PM

Best answer selected by brads.
m
l
!