3rd Party Raw convertion software.

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 30, 2004 4:46:52 AM

Looking for a list of the different 3rd party RAW conversion software
companies and maybe some "unpaid testimonials" on stuff you've used and
like, especially stuff that's fairly reasonable priced. i'm not interested
in paying $500+ for some editing software that bundles this with it.

I'm not real happy with the default noise filtering with the OM E300
software and also not real crazy about having to use a comand line
converter regularly either. Something with slide adjusters and previews
would be nice with adjustments for the normal stuff like white
balance/contrast/"exposure" but with the ability to process them with no
noise filtration. TIA
--

Stacey
Anonymous

try this:

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/9919/...

Rgds

Antoine

"Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
33hmitF403n1gU1@individual.net...
> Looking for a list of the different 3rd party RAW conversion software
> companies and maybe some "unpaid testimonials" on stuff you've used and
> like, especially stuff that's fairly reasonable priced. i'm not interested
> in paying $500+ for some editing software that bundles this with it.
>
> I'm not real happy with the default noise filtering with the OM E300
> software and also not real crazy about having to use a comand line
> converter regularly either. Something with slide adjusters and previews
> would be nice with adjustments for the normal stuff like white
> balance/contrast/"exposure" but with the ability to process them with no
> noise filtration. TIA
> --
>
> Stacey
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 1:09:55 PM

Stacey wrote:

> Looking for a list of the different 3rd party RAW conversion software
> companies and maybe some "unpaid testimonials" on stuff you've used and
> like, especially stuff that's fairly reasonable priced. i'm not interested
> in paying $500+ for some editing software that bundles this with it.
>
> I'm not real happy with the default noise filtering with the OM E300
> software and also not real crazy about having to use a comand line
> converter regularly either. Something with slide adjusters and previews
> would be nice with adjustments for the normal stuff like white
> balance/contrast/"exposure" but with the ability to process them with no
> noise filtration. TIA

I've been using Bibble Lab's RAW converter. http://www.bibblelabs.com/
I'm a die hard Linux user and they're one of the few commercial software
producers with a Linux version of their software.

It's similar to Capture One.. It pretty well does what you want. There are a
few small bugs, but all-and-all, I find it acceptable. I particularly like the
auto-level function. It always seems to produce excellent results from slightly
over or under exposed shots.

The full blown version is $129.00 US, the light version is $69.00 US
They have versions for Windows, Mac or Linux.
Related resources
December 30, 2004 1:49:23 PM

Vlad Gunko wrote:

>> Looking for a list of the different 3rd party RAW conversion software
>> companies and maybe some "unpaid testimonials" on stuff you've used and
>> like, especially stuff that's fairly reasonable priced. i'm not
>> interested in paying $500+ for some editing software that bundles this
>> with it.
>>
>> Stacey
>
> Hello, Stacey.
>
> 3rd party RAW convertors:
> Bible Pro 4.1
> Photoshop with RAW convertor

What versions of PS have a RAW converter or are they all 3rd party plugins?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

"Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Looking for a list of the different 3rd party RAW conversion software
> companies and maybe some "unpaid testimonials" on stuff you've used and
> like, especially stuff that's fairly reasonable priced. i'm not interested
> in paying $500+ for some editing software that bundles this with it.

I'm basically happy with BreezeBrowser. It handles the E-1, but doesn't list
the E300 yet. And it's reasonably priced.

> I'm not real happy with the default noise filtering with the OM E300
> software and also not real crazy about having to use a comand line
> converter regularly either. Something with slide adjusters and previews
> would be nice with adjustments for the normal stuff like white
> balance/contrast/"exposure" but with the ability to process them with no
> noise filtration. TIA

BreezeBrowser's interface is a bit Spartan, but it's noise reduction is
controllable (off, low, normal, high). I haven't upgraded to BreezeBrowser
Pro yet, so I'll refrain from possibly incorrect comments, but I like both
the noise reduction it does and the automagic combined conversion it does
that tries to save both highlights and shadows.

http://www.breezesys.com/

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
December 30, 2004 7:57:37 PM

I'm having doubts about BB now. What it needs is a real time Kelvin balancer.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:30:48 PM

In article <33imc3F3urmjhU3@individual.net>,
Stacey <stephe_k@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>What versions of PS have a RAW converter or are they all 3rd party plugins?

It's included with CS.
December 31, 2004 2:43:45 AM

Jim Townsend wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>
>> Looking for a list of the different 3rd party RAW conversion software
>> companies and maybe some "unpaid testimonials" on stuff you've used and
>> like, especially stuff that's fairly reasonable priced. i'm not
>> interested in paying $500+ for some editing software that bundles this
>> with it.
>>
>> I'm not real happy with the default noise filtering with the OM E300
>> software and also not real crazy about having to use a comand line
>> converter regularly either. Something with slide adjusters and previews
>> would be nice with adjustments for the normal stuff like white
>> balance/contrast/"exposure" but with the ability to process them with no
>> noise filtration. TIA
>
> I've been using Bibble Lab's RAW converter. http://www.bibblelabs.com/
> I'm a die hard Linux user and they're one of the few commercial software
> producers with a Linux version of their software.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'm a linux user myself and would prefer
to find an "all linux" solution and support people who are supporting
linux. I'll have to e-mail and ask what they think about E300 files and
support for this camera. DCRAW says it doesn't support the E300 yet but it
seems to decode the files OK, maybe the E1 is the same alogithm?

--

Stacey
Anonymous

"nop" <nop@notaol.com> wrote:

> I'm having doubts about BB now. What it needs is a real time Kelvin
balancer.

You can set the color temperature and see the result in the preview window.
Not very knobs-on, but it works.

I shoot outdoors a lot, and the shadows and bright areas require different
balancing, so I don't think a single Kelvin setting is adequate. Nikon scan
gives me individual curves for each color channel and a before and after
numerical readout from the cursor. But that's for film scanning.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 10:41:51 AM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote:

Thanks for the Bibble description: I had been wondering what it was like.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

in message news:10t8a2nakbdkied@news.supernews.com...

!