GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 vs M4GZ (Maximus IV Gene-Z)

05UFCaptain

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Straight up, which one of these two boards is the best z68 mATX mobo and why? While I’m sure that some will argue that I should have included the Z68MA-ED55 (B3), I just can’t consider it to be the “top” mATX z68 mobo without having symmetric bandwidth (x8, x8) on its pci-e x16 slots.

Personally, these are my pro’s and con’s for each of the two boards as compared to the other:

GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
Pro’s:
-Multitude of video output options and dual monitor support w/o a dGPU
-Gigabyte Apps (Autogreen, On/Off Charge, etc.)
-price

Con’s:
-Realtek 8111E Ethernet controller supposedly inferior to Intel controller
-Realtek ALC899 lacks Creative X-Fi software
-TouchBIOS supposedly inferior to Asus EFI Bios
-symmetric x8, x8 pci-e x16 slots require a 5 expansion slot case

M4GZ
Pro’s:
-Asus EFI Bios supposedly better for OCing (Hartware.de)
-Intel Ethernet controller
-Creative X-Fi audio
-symmetric x8, x8 pci-e x16 slots can be used with a 4 expansion slot case

Con’s:
-SOLE video out is HDMI, and therefore, only a single monitor is supported w/o a dGPU (HDMI is not a “Con” but display port would have been nice)
-power hog (Hartware.de)
-price

For reference, the manufacturers' product pages for each mobo,
- GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
- M4GZ

So, let’s hear it, everyone. What do ya’ll think about these two mATX power houses? What other differentiators makes one better than the other? Is Asus’ Digi+ VRM better than Gigabyte’s Intersil VRD12? Does one manufacturer’s PCB have higher impedance or higher copper content than the other? Do you just think one manufacturer makes a more reliable, stable, or physically more study product? If so, feel free to chime in. While I would prefer to become more educated with sound reasoning based on facts, I’m still interested in reading personal opinions based on your own experiences. TIA, Nick

asantesoul

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
besides that there is the cool efi bios you actually get to access at boot up... xfi2 integrated sound..on board power..8+2 phase power design..intel lan...sexy, and very necessary mosfet heatskins .... it only does EVERYTHING lol

05UFCaptain

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Well, clearly you're in the M4GZ camp, which is cool. The Gene-Z seems to be hugely popular with tweakers in all the threads I've been following, including the few I've seen here on Tom's, and right now, I'm still leaning towards purchasing the Gene-z, myself. However, without any benchmarks for the GA-Z68MX-UD2H, I'm not sure that Asus' Extreme Digi+ 8+4 phase VRM is any better or more stable than Gigabyte's Intersil VRD12? Furthermore, while I'm sure the Creative X-FI has it's benefits, without any benching of the Z68MX I have no idea what they are, being that the two boards have the same Realtek audio controller. That said, I don't need any benchmarks to see that the MOSFET heat sink on the Gene-Z certainly looks beafier than the Z68MX's, and as for the Intel LAN controler, I too am pretty stoked about some lower ping times, hehe.

Diggerless

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I'm in the same boat. One of my main criteria is to reduce speaker and cable clutter to a minimum. As I have no experience of Dolby Home Theatre I have no idea whether it will do what I want for Battlefield 3 as an example. The specs suggest DHT is supported ...

... so looking to run just the single cable to my AV Receiver to feed it a 5.1 or greater audio stream. My AVR only has 2.1 channel inputs! Unfortunately it appears the Asus Genie does not appear to support this feature whereas the Gigabyte might just Do what I'm after.

Can anyone confirm how DHT works in practice when it comes to gaming. Is it worth getting worked up about