Sign in with
Your question

Need help building my $1100.00 gaming system

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
August 20, 2010 7:54:59 PM

Hi,

I would appreciate your input on my system build. Here are the specs I thought to use but please direct me if there are better ways for the money and performance:

AMD Phenom II 6-core black edition (allows safer and easier
overclocking)

MSI motherboard with SLI support (in case I get a second nvidia card in the future)

4GB DDR3 ram Corsair

- $95.00 Antec case

- $200.00 ASUS ENGTX460/2DI/768MD5 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

- $80.00 Modular Power Supply.

Is there anything I am forgetting ?
Can I use something other than what I listed for the money that is a better product ?

I want to thank Tom Hardware for giving us this website.

-Keith.
August 20, 2010 8:10:24 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Forum Feedback to section Systems by Aford10
August 20, 2010 8:43:34 PM

Depends on what you are doing. For gaming I would just get a Phenom II x4 955BE or 965BE and get the nvidia 460 with 1GB RAM. Its very rare to find a game that uses even 4 cores, much less 6. If you are going to do alot of video encoding or other massive mathematical applications them maybe the 6 core would make sense.

Look at the power supplies forum and check out the info in the sticky at the top. Poor power supplies can make your system do flaky things like lock up. Bad PSUs can damage motherboards, RAM and video cards. Make sure you get a good quality PSU and avoid these problems.
!