Sign in with
Your question

What is to come after the GTX 480

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 16, 2010 8:23:07 PM

Is there any press about the cards to follow the GTX 480 yet? Will there be a 3gb version? Will the 512 ever see the light of day? will they get the
heat problem and power consumption under control?? Or will they just make us sit here and wait yet again for them to release the next card..

I have to admit I use to love ATI then I loved NVIDIA now after this horriable wait for the GTX 480 Iam fast losing some steam..
I waited for the 2nd gen versions of the new ATI, the ones with more mem and faster clocks... Now I am waiting to see what becomes of the GTX480
and the wait is killing me... Though I will wait because I can't see spending $500 for a card that by year's end... I hope the 2nd gen versions will be out..
Also the games out for DX 11 are ok I am still not impressed enough.... Guess I just don't have the patience I use to.. I really don't like the idea
that I have to wait til the end of next year for there to be a ton of DX 11 games and for the 2nd gen GTX 480's... Wish they would shed some honest light and
let us know the wait is worth it..

More about : gtx 480

a c 153 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 8:39:12 PM

I think Nvidia already fixed their heat problems, or at least are starting to, as the GTX 460s consumes less power and generate less heat. We should see more of this improvement in future cards.

The heat issues aren't really a big deal, do they run hot? Yes. Do they run hotter then other cards? Yes. Should you have a good case before attempting to run these? Yes but if you are even thinking about ATI cards that perform as well you should already have a good case. Are safe to run that hot.... Yes. They are supposed to be hot cards, and they are fine running at that heat. Bad cable managment, airflow, and case size can make these cards run way too hot then they are supposed to, but those are not the cards fault.

Anyway, I don't think anyone would recommend a 480 anymore, its overpriced and impracticle, two 460s would be better, and waiting would be better yet. DX11 hasn't really taken off yet, and buying a card just for DX11 right now would be kind of pointless. You can wait till DX11 is needed or "makes a big impact" and by that time the card you are looking at now should be very cheap.

I know I didn't really answer your question, just trying to make the wait seem more bearable. And trust me, I WANT a DX11 Nvidia card as well. I'm just waiting is all.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 12:50:54 AM

What about a GTX480 x2? It might just happen apparently.
m
l
July 17, 2010 3:57:15 AM

swordfish1030 said:
Is there any press about the cards to follow the GTX 480 yet? Will there be a 3gb version? Will the 512 ever see the light of day? will they get the
heat problem and power consumption under control?? Or will they just make us sit here and wait yet again for them to release the next card..

I have to admit I use to love ATI then I loved NVIDIA now after this horriable wait for the GTX 480 Iam fast losing some steam..
I waited for the 2nd gen versions of the new ATI, the ones with more mem and faster clocks... Now I am waiting to see what becomes of the GTX480
and the wait is killing me... Though I will wait because I can't see spending $500 for a card that by year's end... I hope the 2nd gen versions will be out..
Also the games out for DX 11 are ok I am still not impressed enough.... Guess I just don't have the patience I use to.. I really don't like the idea
that I have to wait til the end of next year for there to be a ton of DX 11 games and for the 2nd gen GTX 480's... Wish they would shed some honest light and
let us know the wait is worth it..

I'll take a stab at the questions:
1.) No.
2.) Yes.
3.) Probably.
4.) Probably not.

Honestly though, I'm more interested in a 'full' 460 for games than a 'full' 480. The 480s have too much unnecessary stuff included, ECC, etc, that heat it up and don't improve game performance anyway. And this generation's "495" is going to be sick. Remembering the power draw of the gtx 260, 275, and 295, they should be able to slap two 'full' 460s (475s?) together on a PCB and keep decent clock speeds, and keep it under 300W power draw.
m
l
!