Could this mother board run this ram?

Solution
The spec 1.5v 1600 says that the ram will work at 1600 using 1.5v voltage.
It will also run at lower speeds, so you don't have to worry about oc on your motherboard.
Sandy bridge performance is insensitive to ram speeds, there is a difference in real application performance or FPS of <3% between the fastest and slowest ram.
Don't pay much more for faster ram.

I leave it to you to check for compatibility on your own:
Go to the g.skil web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard model #, and you should get a list of compatible ram kits.
You want documented compatibility in case you have an issue. Without documented support, you will get finger pointing between mobo and ram support.

Don't chase combo's...
The spec 1.5v 1600 says that the ram will work at 1600 using 1.5v voltage.
It will also run at lower speeds, so you don't have to worry about oc on your motherboard.
Sandy bridge performance is insensitive to ram speeds, there is a difference in real application performance or FPS of <3% between the fastest and slowest ram.
Don't pay much more for faster ram.

I leave it to you to check for compatibility on your own:
Go to the g.skil web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard model #, and you should get a list of compatible ram kits.
You want documented compatibility in case you have an issue. Without documented support, you will get finger pointing between mobo and ram support.

Don't chase combo's unless it has exactly what you want.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason. If you want 8gb, get an 8gb kit. That way you are assured that each ram stick has the same manufacturing characteristics and will be compatible with each other.
Most motherboards can handle slightly mismatched ram, but some can't, so get all the ram you need in one kit if you can.

If you have a "K" cpu, you can OC it, by just increasing the multiplier in the bios. Leave everything else on default or auto.
Not a big deal for a modest OC like 4.0.

Solution

andycan111

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Well the combo comes with 4g, and I was planning to get another 4g. I would want to buy all of them in one kit, but since one of the 4g already comes in its own kit, I'm not able to get them together in 1 kit.

BTW, the second ram I plan to get is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231443

It is the same that comes in the combo

I was wondering if the ram would run as 1600 mhz or would it default to 1333 mhz, if it does default, how would I run it up to 1600?

Mismatched ram must run at the same voltage. It will run at the lowest common denominator of specs,( speed and latencies), assuming it runs at all.

Most likely it will run ok.

You should also know that the speed of ram is largely irrelevant to real performance or FPS on sandy bridge cpu's We are talking a difference pf perhaps 3% here.

It will default probably to 1333. To get to 1600, just select that speed in the bios, no need to do more because it will run at 1600 aat 1.5v.

More than two sticks may be different since 4 sticks may need additional voltage.

The kit you referenced is a 2 x 2gb kit.
It is much better to get a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb in the first place.
$49 is not such a great price for 4gb, you can get a 8gb kit like this for $75
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

A single 8gb kit is usually plenty, and it preserves your option to go to 16gb.

Don't pay extra for fancy heat spreaders either. They are mostly marketing, and are useful only when you highly overclock the ram.

Exactly what is the combo that seems so attractive to you?