Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Asus hd 5850 directcu or gainward gtx 460 GS

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Asus
  • GPUs
  • Gainward
  • HD
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 16, 2010 9:26:37 PM

hi,

I just dont know which gpu i'm going to take so i hope you guys can help me making up my mind.
http://www.forcom.be/?product=306643 -> asus hd 5850 directcu
or
http://www.forcom.be/?product=306903 -> gainward gtx 460 GS

My budget is around 315€ for a gpu, and im using this website for my stuff.


I hope you guys can help me

More about : asus 5850 directcu gainward gtx 460

a c 124 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 9:31:02 PM

They're both good, and both allow voltage control for overclocking. I think the GTX 460 is a little bit better bang-for-you-buck, however, the 5850 is a really good card on it's own. One advantage for the 460 is PhysX, if you plan to play Metro 2033, Batman AA, Mirror's Edge, Cryostasis and several others (11 in total, or thereabouts, support hardware PhysX). Other than that, neither card on it's own is really powerful enough for other features like EyeInfinity (ATI) or 3D or Surround Vision (NV).

Hmm overall, I think you might be best off to get the 460, and maybe you can save up a bit and SLI a second one later for very good performance.
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 16, 2010 9:34:47 PM

Definately a 1gb GTX 460! Same performance yet cheaper and has the features Wwolfram mentioned above
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 16, 2010 9:45:43 PM

If the board is SLI capable then the 460 hands down, if not the 5850 will do just fine.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 9:48:31 PM

The GTX 460 does not have the same performance as the HD5850. It is approximately 15% slower at stock. I would also think that HD5850 OCs better. That is a very nice version of the card and can usually get up to 1ghz+. The GTX 460 tends to OC well also but even if you get it up to 900mhz the OC on the HD5850 is still larger.
Basically they are both priced well for their value. I would decide based on how much you want to spend and perhaps whether your motherboard is SLI or crossfire capable.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 9:58:50 PM

wolfram23 said:
They're both good, and both allow voltage control for overclocking. I think the GTX 460 is a little bit better bang-for-you-buck, however, the 5850 is a really good card on it's own. One advantage for the 460 is PhysX, if you plan to play Metro 2033, Batman AA, Mirror's Edge, Cryostasis and several others (11 in total, or thereabouts, support hardware PhysX).
Are you certain that GTX 460 allows for voltage control?
As for Physx I have an Nvidia card and I've played the games that use it to the most significant degree. I would never suggest making a video card purchase based on whether or not it can use physx myself.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 10:16:59 PM

jyjjy said:
Are you certain that GTX 460 allows for voltage control?
As for Physx I have an Nvidia card and I've played the games that use it to the most significant degree. I would never suggest making a video card purchase based on whether or not it can use physx myself.


Only according to a quick google search, but yes it did say that version had it.

And PhysX is nice, that's why I bought a very cheap ($45) GT240 for it. Of course, I'm with you that's it's not much of a consideration, however, it does make a few of the games with it look very cool. My favorite PhysX games so far are Batman AA and Cryostasis. Metro 2033 I do love, but the PhysX stuff in that is hardly noticeable.

The 5850 should usually perform better than the GTX 460, I'm with you there. But the 460 is going to be better performance/$$ although I suppose a cheaper card is almost always better in that regard... Anyway, I still think the 460 is a great choice. NV also tends to have more stable drivers from what I've read/experienced with my ATI cards.
July 16, 2010 10:38:24 PM

wolfram23 said:
Only according to a quick google search, but yes it did say that version had it.

And PhysX is nice, that's why I bought a very cheap ($45) GT240 for it. Of course, I'm with you that's it's not much of a consideration, however, it does make a few of the games with it look very cool. My favorite PhysX games so far are Batman AA and Cryostasis. Metro 2033 I do love, but the PhysX stuff in that is hardly noticeable.

The 5850 should usually perform better than the GTX 460, I'm with you there. But the 460 is going to be better performance/$$ although I suppose a cheaper card is almost always better in that regard... Anyway, I still think the 460 is a great choice. NV also tends to have more stable drivers from what I've read/experienced with my ATI cards.

Well im going to buy an Asus AM3 M4A89GTD PRO USB3. I think it is sli ready.
Btw the asus hd 5850 directcu is 3% faster then the normal ati hd 5850.
Some people have problems with the gainward gtx 460: http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=... . Do you still think that i should buy the gtx 460?
July 16, 2010 10:41:32 PM

I'm not realy an overclocker so I'm going to keep the card like it is.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 10:53:21 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the VRM heat sink, although it is unfortunate to be removed.

If keeping stock, the 5850 will generally perform better.
July 16, 2010 10:58:23 PM

barrymobiel said:
I'm not realy an overclocker so I'm going to keep the card like it is.


That'd be quite sad because that directcu is said to overclock like a charm. Else than that, I think it has indeed a tad better performance than reference, while being a bit cooler as well. To me, though, I don't think the extra performance and cooler temps are worth the difference over a normal 5850. What's really the sweet thing about this 5850 is the overclocking capabilities. That's worth the extra money for sure.

Between the 460 and this, I must say I would hesitate. Both are very good cards in their price frame. The 460 is probably a better bang-for-the-buck than a reference 5850, and the question would be if it retains that advantage over the directcu. It's a possibility, considering I've heard good about the 460's overclocking capabilities.

Bottom line, is, though, depends how much money you want to spend.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 11:09:04 PM

Yeah, the DirectCU is great for overclocking and it really isn't hard to do. That card can OC 30-40% which is simply huge.
Honestly if you aren't going to OC there are probably cheaper HD5850s that would be a better value for the money.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 16, 2010 11:10:40 PM

barrymobiel said:
Well im going to buy an Asus AM3 M4A89GTD PRO USB3. I think it is sli ready.

That is an AMD chipset. It is crossfire capable but you will not be able to SLI.
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
July 17, 2010 1:21:19 AM

barrymobiel said:
I'm not realy an overclocker so I'm going to keep the card like it is.


when you find out how easy it is you will change your mind, look at it this way, you get a nice boost in frames for free just by moving a few sliders to the right and adding some voltage. So easy a caveman can do it :na: 

Here are a few examples :

The FPS is located on the top right hand corner in "pink"

Crysis Warhead ("enthusiast" w/ no AA or AF) @ 3.6Ghz + GPU @ stock 725/1000



same settings but this time with the GPU @ 850/1125 (stock voltage)



same settings but for this screen-shot I raised the CPU clock to 3.9Ghz and the GPU @ 1025/1300 1.28v



was able to do a suicide @ 4Ghz



that's where it basically tops out, so you can see that OC'ing is definitely worth it since the game was unplayable at stock clocks.
July 17, 2010 7:11:31 AM

jyjjy said:
Yeah, the DirectCU is great for overclocking and it really isn't hard to do. That card can OC 30-40% which is simply huge.
Honestly if you aren't going to OC there are probably cheaper HD5850s that would be a better value for the money.

Well the pc is also for my family, they will use it to. Im worried when im overclocking the gpu that it will make much noise. The directcu is known for his low noise.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 7:18:03 AM

barrymobiel said:
Well the pc is also for my family, they will use it to. Im worried when im overclocking the gpu that it will make much noise. The directcu is known for his low noise.


If you do it right, the GPU will keep low idle clocks for lower power and heat, meaning the fan on auto will stay nice and quiet. If you run MSI Afterburner, you can even set a custom fan profile so that it stays quiet up to whatever temps you want, essentially so that it'll only get noisy if you're really pushing it in gaming or whatever it may be.
July 17, 2010 4:51:49 PM

wolfram23 said:
If you do it right, the GPU will keep low idle clocks for lower power and heat, meaning the fan on auto will stay nice and quiet. If you run MSI Afterburner, you can even set a custom fan profile so that it stays quiet up to whatever temps you want, essentially so that it'll only get noisy if you're really pushing it in gaming or whatever it may be.

I there a motherboard with SLI that you recommend on this website: http://www.forcom.be/?cat=105&sub=MOE
My budget is 130-185€ for a motherboard.
!