Sign in with
Your question

OCZ Vertex 3 512GB .M cheap NAND

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2012 1:04:55 PM

So I kept up with SSDs forever pretty much. I've been dead set on getting an Samsung 500~ drive hoping one would go on sale Black Friday. I've always been weary of SandForce (basically because I have kept up to date, and while I know its better now its past still making me uncomfortable). I know the Vertex 3's and 4's curb stomp the Vertex 2 to the ground in quality, so when I saw it go on sale for 299 I couldn't pass it up and didn't want to miss it getting sold out. So I bit the bullet decided to get it and not wait for a 830/840pro, and was pretty happy. Until I did a little (accidental) research and saw this post on another thread.

Quote:
Be Aware: This is the version with the cheaper NAND. (.M model number)

I can't remember the exact difference between the two at the moment, but there was something on Anandtech at some point about it.

Whats the deal with this? Any validity to the statement? I can't find anything on AnandTech about it.

I'm a sucker for quality and will gladly pay a premium for it if I have to, I'll send this SSD back to NewEgg without opening if the NAND is terrible.
November 24, 2012 1:31:14 PM

No one?
m
l
a c 536 G Storage
November 24, 2012 2:35:39 PM

The Vertex 4 512GB .M model drive uses Micron manufactured NAND chips and the regular Vertex 4 512GB model uses Intel NAND chips.

You probably wouldn't notice any real-world difference between the two drives.

Here's some addition info: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...
m
l
!