Need advice for New MoBo, CPU, Box...

I want to complete a build around two components (a power supply and vid card) that I already own.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Buying within three weeks if possible, can wait if there is good reason

BUDGET RANGE: whatever, don’t want to spend more than what a new “box system” would be
Before / After REBATES: either, don’t care (will do rebates if available, not necessary)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Most important is Lord of The Rings Online (LOTRO), then EVE Online, then web. Best gaming performance I can squeeze out of the build. Want to go to DirX 11, max the video/gaming performance.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED:
HAVE: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, other peripherals.
HAVE: Power Supply, is Corsair TX 650, at http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx
HAVE: Video Card, is PNY GeForce GTX 260, at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133229
HAVE: wireless router “g”, cable modem, etc.

NEED: Box with good cooling, Motherboard (wireless-friendly preferred), sound on motherboard, memory, CPU, hard drive (size not important), Rom drive, Operating System
NEED: four (4) USB currently, extra would be ideal

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I have used newegg.com, and liked the service

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Wisconsin, United States

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, except would like best Intel i5 or i7, or comparable AMD

OVERCLOCKING: Never done it, not against it, don’t want to risk anything however. Don’t know how, don’t know the +/- of doing so. If I can buy it over-clocked, and have no work or risks, that would be fine.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Whatever my Video Card above will support, I’m willing to do. If buying a second card to crossfire will be “awesome” then Yes, otherwise, don’t care.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: I have a Dell 24” (I don’t remember which, will confirm and add to post)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: In order of importance: Good cooling, maxed memory, quiet

I don’t want to be upgrading later – let’s get it all done.

I don’t want extra software, etc. I have the Apps end handled. I need just the OS; I want to upgrade to Windows 7 & DirX11+.

Wired connectivity is fine, wireless is welcomed but not necessary. If wireless, a card would be OK. I have a “G” wireless router.

Need new hard drive, but mostly store stuff on external so HD doesn’t need to be massive.

Need new basic DVD RW drive, do not need Blueray.

Electrical power in older home, likely not “clean” power. Don’t want to add another PS.

In a nutshell, I am trying to use some recently-new parts that I bought to upgrade an older system. Had to change the CMOS battery, but the metal tab on the battery mount broke, and now the MB flakes out. And it can’t run DirX11 anyway. It is a four+ year old system, so it is time for a new build anyway.

I need a new motherboard, memory, CPU, HD and box that has good cooling. I want to get some use out of the new power supply and video card. A good looking game of LOTRO, using DirX 11, is my goal.

Suggestions?
7 answers Last reply
More about need advice mobo
  1. The GTX 260 is a DX10 card, it will never do DX11. Lotro hasnt released in DX11 yet and hasnt announced when they actually plan to do it. They could also botch the DX11 implementation so DX10 would be better anyway.

What CPU are you currently using?
    If its a good dual or quad intel core2 running near 3GHz then you are not likely to get much benefit from a CPU change.

With a 260 you should be able to run Lotro DX10 at very high on a 1920x1080 monitor. You may need to turn some things like post-processing off for raids. If you can already do that, a new mobo/cpu wont give you much performance increase.
  2. You can only use DX10 because that is a DX10 graphics card.. and what do you mean by box? case?

If you really need to upgrade get an i3 or something ;) or i5 if you really want to spend money...
  3. You all make a very good point about needing to know my current system. Here is the info:

MoBo: Asus 5PLP-LE
    CPU: Pentium 4, 3.00Ghz [Family 15 Model 4 (MMX), 3000 MHz (2 Processors)
    Ram: 3.5 Gb
    Monitor: Dell S2409W (Digital), desktop is at 1920x1080

My thanks to all for the note that 260 will not run DirX 11 - did not know that. Wish I had, but there is still DirX10.

By box, yes, I meant case. I've not built a PC in years, and I had a lot of help when I last did it. That help is no longer available, so here I am. :)

In LOTRO, using 1920x1080, I can set some settings up to Very High, but at risk of stutter-step movement. The screen effectively stutters slightly every 4 to 5 seconds at the higher settings. When I'm in crowded areas, it gets worse. I've never taken it into a full Raid, and I'm not looking forward to trying with my current PC.

Currently, I have my vid set to reduce the stutter somewhat:

Most settings are Very High except Animation Smoothness, Material Detail , Atmospherics, texture detail (high), texture filtering (very sharp), Landscape Shadows (High, no Blob), Stencil (medium), no Environment Shadows.

Lighting is all High, but no Dirx 10 Distant Landscape Lighting. Post-processing, Glow mapping, and Overbright Bloom are On. Blur is High, Boom Intensity is .60. No Player Mesh Combine, no 3D Object. Texture Cache is at .3, Player Crowd at .4

If any of the above seems odd or strange (why have X set, when Y is set to some other?), it is because I have no idea what most of these settings actually do. I've messed around to make it smooth enough and watchable, but I want to step up the visual quality and solve the stutter.

When I allow the game to "auto set" it, selects "Very High" across the board, including 3D Object, etc. But at that setting, I can't even turn my character around without getting two-second long screen freezes, let alone try to move him.

Feel free to offer suggestions. As I said, the current MoBo is broken (battery tab), so at the least I'd like a recommendation on a new one.

My thanks for your patience and help.
  4. well, for a quick relatively inexpensive upgrade, I'd get the current Athlon X3 combo deal from newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.473029

Its $523.99, $503.99 after the $20 rebate, with all the following parts:
    AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX445WFGMBOX
    MSI NF980-G65 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
    COOLER MASTER NV 690 NV-690C-KWN2-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    Rosewill Green Series RG700-S12 700W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified,Single 12V Rail,Active PFC"Compatible with Core i7, ...
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Add a dvd burner, $19.99

and then, depending on your budget: Keep your 260 ($0.00),

add a GT 240 as a PhysX Card ($80)

Add a second 260 ($149) and SLI

or add a Geforce GTX 460 at either 768GB ($200), or 1GB ($230), and use the 260 as a PhysX card.
  5. ScrewySqrl said:
    add a GT 240 as a PhysX Card ($80)
    Why? None of his current games use PhysX. Even nvidia admits its outdated junk.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/phyx-ageia-x87-sse-physics,10826.html
    Unless you are hardcore playing one of the few games that has it, it is literally a non-issue.
    http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_physxgames_home.html

A better CPU/Mobo will take away some of the stuttering. Alot of that is going to be from background processes causing periodic slowing. Also depends on the server you are on; the populated ones have been experiencing alot of server side lag and login problems since the F2P beta started.
  6. To ScrewySqrl, thanks for the recommendation. I see that the combo already has a power supply, but the price is great so I won't mind keeping my Corsair as a spare.

To dndhatcher, I don't play any PhysX games, so your point is valid. I may consider a second 260 and try SLI.

My thanks to both for your time and help.

If anyone else wants to post some recommendations/suggestions, they are welcome. I won't be buying for a week or two yet, so I have plenty of time to comparison shop.

Thanks. :)
  7. My apologies on the uselessness of PhysX. I thought LOTR was one of the games that used it.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product