Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR2
  • Dual Channel
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Product
Last response: in Memory
July 1, 2011 2:53:33 AM

I currently have an HP that has 3GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (1x2048,1x1024, both slots used up). I want to upgrade the memory. Can I use DDR3? Is it worth it? Or do I need to stick with DDR2? I won't be attempting to over clock them or anything, just plug and play (unless there's an easy Step-By-Step guide :) 
Thanks!
Jamie

More about : upgrade question

a c 128 } Memory
a b α HP
July 1, 2011 10:52:20 AM

Can't mix ram. DDR3 has a different notch and different voltage specs. It's not worth changing boards for. Check your hp specs. A 2x2 gb kit of pc6400 will be your best upgrade path. You can sell your old ones to offset the cost. $50 is a good price for the kit.
m
l
Related resources
a c 128 } Memory
a b α HP
July 1, 2011 2:23:14 PM

No. Check your board specs first. You may be limited to 2 gb per slot; You can use another 2x1 gb kit with your old ram or go with a 2x2 gb kit as I suggested, and keep the leftover 1 gb for testing or sell it. If you use a name brand kit of ram, it should work with your old ram: corsair, kingston, crucial, hynix, or gskill. Do not buy the 4 gb stick; you may be wasting your money or the board may only recognize 2 gb of it.
m
l
July 1, 2011 2:59:42 PM

I checked the specs and it will only see 4 gb, thanks for the heads up.
You recommend getting a new pair to ensure that they will work together?
It's not recommended to mix brands? It's would be cheaper to buy (1) 2 gb stick to go along with my current stick.
Is a faster speed available for DDR2, like 1056?
And how much does the latency and timing matter?
I just want the best upgrade since I can only do 4gb max.

Thanks again
m
l
a c 128 } Memory
a b α HP
July 1, 2011 5:11:58 PM

Don't waste money on faster ram. Your hp board has no bios adjustments for faster ram. You can mix brands or speeds if they're name branded, like the ones I recommended, but your board will run at the slower of the two speeds. 3-4 gb of ram is enough; the 2x1 gb kit with 2 gb of your old ram is your best bet. I've seen a 2x1 gb kit on craigslist for only $20 recently.
m
l
!