Sign in with
Your question

What's the best way to test and partition a new portable drive?

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2012 3:39:49 PM

I've just bought this portable western digital hard drive (WDBBEP0010BBK), with 1 TB capacity to back up my data.. What's the best way to test the hard drive to know if it's going to be reliable?
I was thinking scanning it for bad sectors would be a good start using the error checking tool of windows, any other ideas?
Does splitting the hard drive into 2 or more partitions have any performance effect or it would just be fine to use folders, since I won't be installing any operating system or something on it?

Please give me your ideas..
a c 79 G Storage
November 23, 2012 4:35:13 PM

The best tool for testing it's health is WD's own diagnostic software "Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for Windows"": http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=203...

I too have a 1TB Passport and in fact I have several 1TB external hard drives. I have never felt the need to have more than one partition on any of them. Any improvement in performance would be minimal anyway, and creating more partitions unnecessarily just complicates things in my view and means more mouse clicking to find everything.
a c 119 G Storage
November 23, 2012 5:04:17 PM

Disk Management on your computer can give you the status of all the drivers on your computer.
Right click on Computer and select manage , then select Disk Management and the window that comes up will list all the drives and you can see if it say healthy partition for the drive you want to see.
In the properties of the hard drive you can run chkdsk and that will check the disk for errors and bad sectors.
Related resources
November 23, 2012 5:24:30 PM

phil22 said:
The best tool for testing it's health is WD's own diagnostic software "Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for Windows"": http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=203...

I too have a 1TB Passport and in fact I have several 1TB external hard drives. I have never felt the need to have more than one partition on any of them. Any improvement in performance would be minimal anyway, and creating more partitions unnecessarily just complicates things in my view and means more mouse clicking to find everything.

Thanks Phil for the advice.

My hard drive is My Passport not My Passport essential. Will that software still work efficiently? I couldn't find the same software for the newer model.

By the way how's that hard drive holding up with you from your experience, is it doing fine ?
November 23, 2012 5:30:01 PM

inzone said:
Disk Management on your computer can give you the status of all the drivers on your computer.
Right click on Computer and select manage , then select Disk Management and the window that comes up will list all the drives and you can see if it say healthy partition for the drive you want to see.
In the properties of the hard drive you can run chkdsk and that will check the disk for errors and bad sectors.

Thanks inzone. That's what I had in mind in the first place.. The only problem is that these tests take alot of time, so I guess I'll have to go with one error checking test, I guess I'll have to pick between the Data life guard and the check disk..
a c 119 G Storage
November 23, 2012 8:07:56 PM

Check Disk does not take much time at all and can be run in under 5 min. A more exstensive disk check like Data Life Guard may take longer.
!