Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX460 768MB, 1GB or 5830 for 1920x1080 (Budget)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 17, 2010 1:16:47 AM

Hi! I would just like to know which from the GTX460 768MB, 1GB and the Radeon 5830 I should choose for a Radeon 4830 upgrade. I will be changing my monitor soon for a 1920x1080 23.6 inches LCD instead of my 1360x768 18.5 inches Samsung Syncmaster and I know my current graphics card won't handle it. I will also change my power supply in the next week for a Corsair TX750 unit.

My computer: AMD Phenom II x4 processor, Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P motherboard, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 memory, will upgrade my power supply for Corsair TX750, will change my monitor for ASUS 23.6 inches monitor.

I would like to have the most performance to play actual games maxed out for the best price. Some reviews on the net say that the 1GB is better for the price than the 768MB while others say that the 30$ difference is too big compared to the performance increases. I saw somewhere too that the price of the Radeon 5830 would be dropping to $170-180, so I don't really know what to do. Do I buy the GTX460 768MB or 1GB right now or wait for price drops and get the 5830.

If I take the GTX460 1GB, the cheapest one at the moment is the Palit Sonic version. I know that it is making a bit of controversy because of its missing VRM heatsink on the retail version, but when I look at the pictures of MSI's Cyclone GTX460 1GB, I doesn't have one too and reviews tell it runs cool. I think people are going crazy about the VRM heatsink for nothing since it has a warranty if it fails because of that.

If I go with the 768 MB version, should I take Evga's Superclocked edition or a stock one and overclock it myself? Do the Superclocked version overclocks better or it is just something to bait people who don't know how easy it is to overclock a video card a little?

If I choose the Radeon 5830, I would definitely go with Gigabyte's model. It has a nice heatsink with many heatpipes and 2 fans for great cooling. It can probably support a massive overclock.

I would like also to overclock the card I will buy to get the most out of it.

I will probably buy my graphics card in the next 6 weeks.

Thank you!

a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 1:32:58 AM

the GTX 460 768mb is a better card then the ATI 5830, so the question is which GTX460 should you get; the 765mb or 1GB?

I have the cyclone, it runs very cool.
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 1:36:25 AM

The 1GB is deffinitely worth the 30 extra dollars especially at the resolution you will be playing at.
Related resources
July 17, 2010 2:43:39 AM

Ok then. I think I will wait for ATI - Nvidia price war though. Maybe they will lower the price on all the cards I mentioned. ^^
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 3:54:29 AM

GTX 460 1gb > GTX 460 786mb > HD5830
I wouldn't count on the prices of any of them getting much lower any time soon.
July 17, 2010 3:05:01 PM

Ok, so this mornig I looked at the price of the Radeon 5830's. HIS iCooler V have passed from around $230 to $200 + $15 MIR. It's getting more and more interesting. ^^
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 3:59:20 PM

ibanez1337 said:
Ok then. I think I will wait for ATI - Nvidia price war though. Maybe they will lower the price on all the cards I mentioned. ^^


the GTX460 just launched, prices won't drop since the card is getting rave reviews. if anything they may go up because of the demand (similar to the ATI 5850 when it launched)

even if ATI drops prices on the 5830, it still trails the GTX460 in performance. Plus they can only drop prices so far. The 5770 ranges from $160-180. The 5750 goes from $125-150, it not as simple as just dropping the price of one card.


July 17, 2010 4:40:49 PM

Diamond 5830 @ Fry's - $240 w/$20 rebate. Limit 1, but who cares. Have a friend (or trustworthy relative) help with the 2nd rebate if you need 2.
http://www.frys.com/product/6229240?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

Also, it looks like Sparkre got on the 1GB-bandwagon for $220 - but I wouldn't expect their model to have a voltage regulator like MSI or ASUS:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


As for me, my Diamond 5770 is going back to the store right now; GL!
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 7:22:15 PM

ct1615 said:
the GTX460 just launched, prices won't drop since the card is getting rave reviews. if anything they may go up because of the demand (similar to the ATI 5850 when it launched)

even if ATI drops prices on the 5830, it still trails the GTX460 in performance. Plus they can only drop prices so far. The 5770 ranges from $160-180. The 5750 goes from $125-150, it not as simple as just dropping the price of one card.


+1, just get the 460 now.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 9:16:31 PM

Quote:
Asus or EVGA. Palit is ***


my MSI cyclone kicks ass :kaola: 
July 18, 2010 9:42:13 AM

EVGA GTX 460 1GB
July 19, 2010 9:44:54 PM

Hey guys. The EVGA GTX460 1GB just became available today on newegg.ca and it would cost $260 (CAD) with shipping and taxes. I think that's a bit too much for me, so do you think the 768mb overclocked at its maximum could do well at a resolution of 1920x1080?
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 6:21:42 AM

Yeah, the 768mb should be fine. SLIing in the future is the main reason to go for the 1gb card imo but if that isn't in your plans then it isn't a big deal.
As for which card to get I would go for the Asus one. Anyone know if the EVGA cards allow for voltage increases?
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 6:25:58 AM

Even if you do not plan to do SLI the 1 GB GTX 460 is a better long term solution.
July 20, 2010 6:32:31 AM

Two MSI cyclone 1 GB cards...if you can wait a week or two (until they are available), not too many doubts on this choice...5830 doesn't even come close.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 6:34:57 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Even if you do not plan to do SLI the 1 GB GTX 460 is a better long term solution.

So would a GTX 470, 480, HD5970, ect... not sure what your point is.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 7:02:35 AM

jyjjy said:
So would a GTX 470, 480, HD5970, ect... not sure what your point is.

I meant a better long term solution with respect to newer games using more memory at higher resolutions as well as the price he is willing to pay currently for the card.
July 20, 2010 7:09:25 AM

There is real nice super clocked 460 probably coming soon. I head of one with near 800Mhz preoverclock which will go for only like $250 and it was as fast as 5850. May be wait 1-2 weeks and then decide
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:07:06 AM

Tamz_msc said:
I meant a better long term solution with respect to newer games using more memory at higher resolutions as well as the price he is willing to pay currently for the card.

Of course more memory is better but it is only better in so far as it makes the card perform better. The bottom line is always performance and the two versions of the GTX 460 are appropriately priced for their relative performance(if anything the 768mb card is a slightly better deal.) I highly doubt the performance differential of the two cards will change all that much in the future.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:08:12 AM

rawsteel said:
There is real nice super clocked 460 probably coming soon. I head of one with near 800Mhz preoverclock which will go for only like $250 and it was as fast as 5850. May be wait 1-2 weeks and then decide

Why would you pay for someone else to overclock your video card for you? You can undoubtedly achieve much better results easily on your own.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:21:00 AM

jyjjy said:
Of course more memory is better but it is only better in so far as it makes the card perform better. The bottom line is always performance and the two versions of the GTX 460 are appropriately priced for their relative performance(if anything the 768mb card is a slightly better deal.) I highly doubt the performance differential of the two cards will change all that much in the future.

You do get noticeable performance increase withe the 1GB especially at 1920x1200.Games such as Metro 2033 will benefit from the 1 GB framebuffer. The price difference is only 30$ as well.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:26:11 AM

The overall performance difference between the two cards is approximately 8% at 1920x1200 while the price difference is 15%. They are both good values for the money like I said. The extra memory and bandwidth is nice but it simply isn't that big of a deal.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:27:41 AM

Its really up to the customer to get the best deal for the card.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 8:31:29 AM

The consumer can't make deals that don't exist. For the GTX 460 right now 768mb/192 = $200, 1gb/256 = $230.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 7:34:17 PM

rawsteel said:
There is real nice super clocked 460 probably coming soon. I head of one with near 800Mhz preoverclock which will go for only like $250 and it was as fast as 5850. May be wait 1-2 weeks and then decide


all the stock GTX 460 hit 800mhz at default voltage settings
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 7:36:33 PM

jyjjy said:
Why would you pay for someone else to overclock your video card for you? You can undoubtedly achieve much better results easily on your own.


agreed. My cyclone is factory OC but I got it for the cooler, not the factory OC.

BTW, the cyclone cooler is by far the best one I have ever had on a video card and I have owned a good number of cards.
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2010 9:20:13 PM

I'd go with a 1GB GTX 460 myself. No point in getting the lesser RAM version in my mind, considering you want to play at 1920x1080. Higher RAM means larger textures. I wouldn't cripple the card by going 768MB, as future game titles may desire the extra RAM.

As far as brands go. I've had several MSI video cards and never had a problem. :) 
July 25, 2010 12:36:24 PM

jyjjy said:
GTX 460 1gb > GTX 460 786mb > HD5830
I wouldn't count on the prices of any of them getting much lower any time soon.


are you freakin kidding me? you must not know atis line of video cards
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 12:40:17 PM

I'm very aware of their cards. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with the GTX 460? It did just come out. Check out some reviews.
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 25, 2010 12:43:09 PM

gamerdude72 said:
are you freakin kidding me? you must not know atis line of video cards


actually with that response, I would question your knowledge of ATI's line of cards and their performance. Every review has the GTX460 768mb faster then the ATI 5830.
July 28, 2010 10:15:27 AM

is there any reviews on Tom's with the 768mb vs. the 1gb version of the gtx460? (or on another site that u trust?)
cause u quoted 8% difference with one card, but if the OP decides to SLi later on, what does the performance do then?
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 28, 2010 11:58:19 AM

For SLI I would recommend the 1gb card.
!