9800 GX2 Died - I Need a Replacement

jprebb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey guys...

So my EVGA 9800 GX2 died today and now I'm in the market for a new graphics card. I really haven't been keeping up with the latest and greatest in GPU's and I was hoping you guys could suggest a replacement card that would be a step or two up from a 9800 GX2.

I have an Azus Rampage Formula x48 motherboard.

Thanks,

JP

Helltech

Distinguished
It would be nice to know the rest of your system, and what resolution you will be playing at...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-radeon-hd-geforce-gtx,2676-7.html

According to that your pretty high up there already. The 460's arn't on that list, and I would have to say the 1GB version might be an upgrade but its not a huge step up by any means.

There is a 470 on sale for about 280 right now on Newegg, I don't know if I can find it though, I'm pretty sure it was an EVGA version.

Also are you sure the card is dead? Did you try it in another computer?

i'm not sure about this but if i'm not mistaken 9800 GX2 is way more faster compared to GTX285 (if the game supports SLi). so i don't think going for GTX460 1GB ver will be much an upgrade. i suggest at least go for 5850 or 470 but it may depends on what your current spec as well

Helltech

Distinguished

Oh no I agree, I said it wouldn't be a huge upgrade by any means.

The 9800GX2 is more like a GTX 275 in terms of over all performance. The 1gb GTX 460 would be a small upgrade at stock but a considerable one when overclocked. For a more substantial upgrade go for a GTX 470 or HD5850. Both of those can OC a ton as well.
Your motherboard is crossfire and not SLI so if you want an upgrade path perhaps lean more towards the HD5850.

jprebb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's dead. Recently I've been having problems with it over heating (CPUID reporting temps of 103 C!) and it was getting so bad that I couldn't play MW2 after just a few minutes. So i tore it apar and apllied artic silver, and put everything back together....it never turned on after I reinstalled it in the computer.

I'm thinking the ATI 5850 might be the right way to go as I can always crossfire 2 of them as prices come down if I need more performance.

Is the 5870 worth the extra money?

Thanks,

JP

BTW, QX9650 processor (not OC'd), 8 gb ram, 24" monitor, and I like gaming as close to 1920x1080 as possible.