Sign in with
Your question

Need a Video Card for Metro 2033

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2010 1:54:01 AM

I currently have a Nvidia Geforce 9800GX2, it doesnt run Metro 2033 very well. I get about 27 Fps constant with Very high settings,Direct x 10, at my native resolution 1330x768 with no AA or AF. Im looking at getting the Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 1Gb Im wondering if this will boost my performance, if not is there any other card I can get my budget is $250.Thanks.

System:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0Ghz
4 Gigs Dual-Channel Ram 800Mhz
Evga 9800GX2
Corsair 750W
1x320gig 7200rpm hdd
1x500gig 5400rpm hdd (storage)
Windows 7 Professional x64-bit

More about : video card metro 2033

a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 2:06:58 AM

i don't think you will get an actual bump in frames with a 250.00$ budget, what you need to do is raise your CPU clock to about 3.6Ghz because your resolution is too low and in-turn the CPU is doing most of the job, in other words you have a bottleneck.
July 17, 2010 2:28:47 AM

I didnt realize Metro 2033 was very Cpu heavy. Also even if it is not necessary I think I may purchase the GTX 460 for Direct X 11, is it better then the GX2 though?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 2:46:57 AM

CodyMcInnes said:
I didnt realize Metro 2033 was very Cpu heavy. Also even if it is not necessary I think I may purchase the GTX 460 for Direct X 11, is it better then the GX2 though?

Its not that Metro is CPU heavy its the fact that at lower resolutions the CPU is doing most of the work, at higher resolutions the CPU can take a break because the GPU does most of the work.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 3:32:23 AM

Yeah, OC that cpu and then see how goes. If it is still not good enough then the GTX 460 will be a small upgrade at stock but a decent one once you OC the card.
Honestly your money would be better spent on a better monitor as yours is small an low resolution. A new monitor would vastly improve your gaming experience on all games while a better card is only really going to help you on Metro 2033 and Crysis at your current resolution.
July 17, 2010 3:34:53 AM

well Im gonna go ahead and get the card, as for Overclocking the cpu Im not sure I will do that as its fast already and I dont want much of a temp increase. Plus there is this video which lead me to believe the GTX 460 would be good for Metro 2033.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szr41GsG2qA
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 3:42:15 AM

well yes, the GTX 460 would enable DX11, but in return, lower the framerates enough because of that that you might not even see an increase.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 3:42:18 AM

Your processor should be able to handle 3.5ghz easily just on the stock cooler. There is no reason not to overclock it unless you prefer having a slower computer.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 4:11:49 AM

CodyMcInnes said:
well Im gonna go ahead and get the card, as for Overclocking the cpu Im not sure I will do that as its fast already and I dont want much of a temp increase. Plus there is this video which lead me to believe the GTX 460 would be good for Metro 2033.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szr41GsG2qA

That person actually works for Nvidia, of course he is going to tell you that the card can pull miracles. What you need to do is look at the benchmarks and also look at the resolution that was used. Just like jyjjy said, you will get more use out of a bigger screen vs. a new GPU. Spending 250.00 on a card is not going to give you much to talk about if you leave the CPU at stock, most benchmarks are done with an i7 920 @ 4Ghz (give or take) so that should give you an idea of the bottleneck that you currently have.

If I were you this is what I would do:

1. Overclock the CPU to at least 3.5Ghz - FREE or buy a decent 20/30.00 cooler and you can bump it up to 3.8/3.9Ghz

2. Get a bigger screen, at least a 22" 1680x 1050 for 170.00$ or a 24" 1920x 1080 for 210.00$

3. Download MSI's Afterburner and overclock that GX2 - FREE

the outcome will be much greater vs. a 460 with your current CPU clock and screen
July 17, 2010 4:46:18 AM

Alright well thank you everyone, Im going to over clock my cpu to 3.5Ghz and see were that gets me, do I really need a larger screen though? If anything I thought having a smaller screen would take the stress off the components.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 4:58:57 AM

I assume you have a 19" screen. you need at least a 22" or greater if you want to see the GX2's full potential. For now over-clock the CPU and also overclock that GX2 even if its a small bump and you should see a significant jump in performance.
July 17, 2010 5:04:08 AM

Yup its a 19''. And I will get on over clocking the cpu, one last question I hope, is the 9800GX2 still a good card aside from its heat issues (atleast in my case). I've read on some forums that 2 GX2's beat out 2 GTX 295's in SLi?? Can anyone clearify?
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 5:22:32 AM

a GX2 is basically dual 9800GTX's while a 295 is dual GTX 275's so the dual 295's will obliterate the dual GX2's =)

295>GX2
July 17, 2010 5:22:43 AM

haha thanks. one last question, can you maybe explain to me how to over clock, I have an asus board so I guess that means I have asus bios. Im lookin through Youtube how I would be able to do it, but its not really making sense.
July 17, 2010 5:42:47 AM

Alright thankz, You've been a great help. Do you have steam or anything? Im thinking you do with those specs you must do some gaming anyways add my steam if you like maybe we can play some TF2 or CSS.

[Šhµ]© Gx²™
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 6:35:16 AM

CodyMcInnes said:
Alright thankz, You've been a great help. Do you have steam or anything? Im thinking you do with those specs you must do some gaming anyways add my steam if you like maybe we can play some TF2 or CSS.

[Šhµ]© Gx²™

I play BC2/Warhead/Dirt2/Metro2033/L4D2/Stalker/Fallout 3 and a few oldies..

add me "OvrClkr"
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 8:06:24 AM

ever tried turning advanced physics to "off"?
July 17, 2010 8:07:40 AM

Never had it on in the first place -_-
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 8:34:15 AM

CodyMcInnes said:
Alright well thank you everyone, Im going to over clock my cpu to 3.5Ghz and see were that gets me, do I really need a larger screen though? If anything I thought having a smaller screen would take the stress off the components.

You don't "need" a larger screen but the difference in clarity and size from upgrading would make you cringe afterward at the thought of going back to a your old monitor if you buy a new one. To illustrate this let's compare your monitor to, let's say, this one;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Consider the number of pixels that make up your display. First I'll assume your resolution is actually 1366x768(WXGA). 1366x768 = 1,049,088 while 1920x1080 = 2,073,600. That is almost exactly twice as many pixels so the image will have twice the definition of your current screen. Furthermore despite adding only 4.6" on the diagonal it actually adds much more to the over all area of the screen(55%). So you'll gain a much larger screen, double the over all definition and also increase the pixel density per square inch significantly. All this will add up to a vastly superior viewing experience when gaming as well as for video, pictures and computing in general.
Compare that to adding a few frames per second on basically 2 games which is really all you would get from a better card and I think it is pretty obvious where that $200 is better spent.
July 17, 2010 9:08:20 AM

haha thats kinda why I have the small monitor in the first place thought it'd help my fps. Idk what to do, Im gonna over clock my cpu but as for gettin a new card im confused.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 9:40:44 AM

Quote:
Gtx 460 will not increase ur framerate that much.becoz with dx11 comes tessletation and which will hammer ur framerate.Guys why ur asking him to increase resolution.increasing resolution will reduce framerate further more.

technically yes but since he has a CPU bottleneck he would actually gain frames if the CPU clock was balanced with the rest of the system.

he wont lose frames because at his current resolution the GPU is barely doing anything (CPU is doing all the work), with a bigger screen the GPU kicks in and the CPU can breath since it is not stressed as much at higher resolutions. He needs to balance his system, something like a 3.6Ghz CPU clock running at 1680x 1050 or higher.
July 17, 2010 12:38:48 PM

They never said that. His gaming experience would be enhanced. I suggest you:

1. Invest in a cheap cooler and OC to 3.8ghz
2. Get a 1680x1050 screen maybe a syncmaster 2233rz if 3dvision or 120hz technology interests you.
3. Get a Palit GTX 460 1GB sonic platinum which is faster than a 5850 in most cases and encroaches on the 470 despite being only marginally more expensive than a stock 460.
4. Get a crossfire board and buy another one. You will now be able to run metro 2033 @ max settings - tesselation and enhanced physics.
July 17, 2010 12:50:48 PM

Id go for GTX 460 1GB SLi or GTX 470 SLi . Or GTX 465 SLi. Or maybe even GTX 480. 250 bucks of a budget is not enough for Metro. If you still dont wanna increase your budget go for a GTX 465
July 17, 2010 6:55:58 PM

Well If the 460 isnt going to get me more FPS in metro then I say why bother, Ive finished the game on my GX2 it was kinda sluggish but, I ran it in Very High with nothing else on that I could check on or off. I like Metro alot, And it is the new crysis but I didnt think tessellation would come into play with Direct X 10.
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 9:13:51 PM

Quote:
i havenot seen any benchmark where framerate increases by increasing resolution.If he increases the cpu clock at his current resolution he will see increase in framerate. if he donot overclock cpu and increase resolution his framerate will decrease or stay same.it will not increase by any means.

Sir you need to understand the definition of a CPU and GPU bottleneck. Nobody is saying that he will increase his FPS by raising the resolution alone, he needs to "balance" the system to get more frames, meaning once he does raise the resolution he also heeds to raise the CPU clock to compensate for the frame loss. If i were to play at his resolution and lower my CPU clock to lets say 3Ghz I would also lose frames and in turn have the exact same bottleneck he has.

The lower the resolution the more stress on the CPU (will cause a bottleneck unless he raises the CPU clock) <-- In his case

The higher the resolution the more stress on the GPU (will cause a bottleneck unless he raises the CPU clock) <-- In his case

So to "loosen" the bottleneck he needs to at least raise the CPU to 3.6Ghz or above at his current resolution to gain a bit more frames BUT that does not mean the bottlneck is gone because again his GPU is doing basically nothing at such low resolutions.

If he want's to get the most out of his GPU he needs to raise the clocks on the CPU and RAISE the resolution. He will not lose frames if he does this correctly. We are not telling the OP to go and buy a 30" 2560 x 1600 screen to get more frames, we want him to get at least a 22" 1680x 1050 or 1920x 1080, of course anything over that resolution will result in frame loss because the system would again be "unbalanced".

By raising the CPU clock at his current resolution he will get a few more frames but nothing to get exited about, if he wants his GPU to perform he needs something larger than what he currently has. In other words if he had a 9800GT instead of the GX2 he would get the same exact outcome he has now because at low resolutions the GPU does very little work.

Do you understand now?

!