Motherboard PCIE 2.0 Problem

Bigpickle

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Hey all,

Have have a strange one here, my motherboard Gigabyte EP45-DS4 is running my GPU in PCIE v1.1 instead of 2.0.
i've checked the MB manual below but cant find any reference to this problem:
http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ds4(p)_e.pdf

This is taken from GPUZ:
do0wno.jpg

Is there a way to change it to v2.0?

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

I assume your 'HD 48XX' is installed in the top, blue, PCIe slot. Next, try the orange PCIe slot just below and compare. The last time I saw this when it was confirmed the MOBO was damaged, but the most likely causes are {PCIe slot, BIOS, PCIe Freq/Voltage, and/or Driver(s)}. Use CMOS Clear - jumper method - see manual; tweak after problem is fixed.

Obviously, update all of the MOBO & GPU drivers, yep re-install even if up to date. ATI drivers don't always uninstall/update nicely so run Driver Sweeper and uninstall any nVidia/ATI(AMD) drivers it find.

option: Cleaning the PCIe with Isopropyl alcohol sometimes works (PC unplugged, de-dust, dampen GPU connectors (inspect) with alcohol, seat, wipe & repeat, remove 5 minutes to dry, and properly seat GPU.

I just tested this on my machine. I have a GTX 570.

I rebooted and ran GPU-Z right after it booted fully into Windows. It listed PCI-E 2.0 x16 @ x16 2.0. I still had it up about a minute later when it changed to PCI-E x16 @ x16. I hovered my mouse over it and it said it was in 1.1 mode.

It also said that power-saving features may affect the results displayed.

That got me to thinkin'...

I opened up a FurMark window and started a burn-in test. Guess what -- it changed back to 2.0 mode right before my eyes.

In other words, graphics cards will switch PCIe modes depending on load conditions. 1.1 mode uses less power, so when your system doesn't need full graphics horsepower it will switch down. If you run a game or otherwise load the GPU, it will jack itself back up.

Try it yourself and see if that's the case for you...

It's not an 'issue' -- it's the normal operating procedure. Graphics cards down-clock the GPU and memory speeds when they aren't needed, so why not 'down-clock' the PCIe mode too? It did jack back up to x16 2.0 mode (and the GPU/memory clocks) when I loaded the GPU with FurMark just like it was supposed to.

For the record, I always run it in High Performance mode. I even fiddle with those settings to make sure everything runs at best quality and such. I don't use Sleep or Hibernate (both are disabled), but I set the monitor to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. That's the only thing that turns off when I'm not actively using the system.