Specific External Drive + Specific USB Port = Not Working

mrkbrny

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I removed a secondary hd from an old laptop and trying to make it an external hd through usb and my laptop won't see it.

RealBeast

Titan
Was the drive working just before you removed it?

What external housing are you using -- check your connections and also check the drive housing manual to be sure that it can run off a single USB port, a few need a second port for enough power.

Is it detectable on any of your USB ports? If so, can you see any data or does it show up in disk management as a RAW drive?

mrkbrny

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I purchased from ebay the 'Black USB 2.0 SATA 2.5" HD HDD Hard Disk Drive Enclosure External Case'. I am not too savy on computers over the past 2 years. I assumed it would acknowledge it when I plugged it into the usb. It doesn't even show up in the disk management or anywhere.

mrkbrny

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I had this hd in an older hp laptop that had duel hd's and am no longer using the laptop. It works when I plug it into the 2nd slot of that laptop but when I try to use it as an external hd it is not seen via usb.

RealBeast

Titan
It may be an issue with the housing, did it come with a USB cable, some require a Y cable for additional power. Did you reformat the drive when it was attached to the laptop, if not it may be worth a try.

Also, double check your connections for the drive inside the housing.

mrkbrny

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I did format the hd while in the old laptop. It did come with a Y cable and I have both plugged into my new laptop. The hd housing does have the red light on indicating it is getting power but my laptop still doesn't pick it up and show an external hd is plugged in via usb.

mrkbrny

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I checked the connections and all looks good. I tried plugging the single side of the Y usb into the external and both other ends into a laptop and didn't acknowledge it. I also tried on my desktop and same thing. BTW, thanks for all your help.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes single side into the external and double into two USB ports on the computer, the idea is that it needs more power than one USB can supply.

No problem, wish I had better news, but it seems that it doesn't work. I've used a few Rosewill from Newegg that were inexpensive and worked fine.