Sign in with
Your question

Advice - Linux System to Run VirtualBox - Budget ~$750

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2010 4:33:38 AM

I'm one of those guys who builds enterprise systems where dropping $25K on a server with the company's money is no big deal..lol

However, things on the home side are not as cut and dried as they were 20 years ago, so I'm looking for advice on what's the best way to go.

I run OpenSuse 11.3 on a Dell C521 now (3GB RAM, 150GB drive, Athlon Dual-Core, nVidia 8400GS card). I want build a new system with the following requirements for $750 (if possible), no monitor needed.

4 cores minimum
8GB RAM minimum
500GB x2 drives (need RAID support) minimum

I do a lot of work on various configurations, so my main concern is being able to run multiple VirtualBox Vms concurrently. Cores and RAM obviously are the main concern.

Biggest question for me, is which makes more sense...AMD Athlon II x4, AMD Phenom II x4/x6, Core i5, or Core i7? Based upon what I've seen, I imagine the i7 is out of the price range. The Phemon II x4/x6, but is it worth the extra cost over the Athlon II x4?

I do some minor video-conversion, so I guess the L3 cache on the Core i's and the Phenom would help.

Any serious suggestions welcome.

Thx in advance
August 21, 2010 5:05:12 AM

Reuse your 8400GS ^^
Related resources
August 21, 2010 5:22:23 AM

thats all from newegg.com.

Batchuka amazes me constantly with his knowledge of newegg's combos.

I tend to scour www.pricewatch.com, but newegg combos are easily missed by that site.
August 21, 2010 5:54:43 AM

Yep happy shopping/building ^^
!