Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XFX 5850 ($264) vs. Asus 5850 ($299)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 17, 2010 4:38:14 AM

Hello all,

A little introduction. I have been doing research on graphics cards for the last several days, and have narrowed down my selections to the following two cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Using Bing Cashback, I have found the XFX 5850 for $264, and the Asus 5850 for $299. If costs were equal or even a little bit closer, I'd have chosen the Asus card without hesitation. As it stands, I don't plan on OCing too terribly (though I have gotten into it recently, OCing my CPU from 2.66 to 3.2 and going to attempt to go even higher once my new heatsink comes in), so while it'd be nice to have the option, it's not imperative.

What I care most about is loudness and temperature. Then again, if the loudness and temperature is only minimal between the two cards, I think I'd go for the cheaper card. That $35 difference is pretty substantial, after all.

Any advice/opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 6:42:15 AM

Hey there,

Both cards are effectively the same spec wise.

Asus gives you a voltage mod program for oc'ing, but then again you can always use MSI afterburner.

I've heard ASUS are painfully slow in RMA.

Save the $35.

Go for the XFX.

Good luck.

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2010 7:23:09 AM

XFX has lifetime warranties! Any they have great service... I had a 7800gt back in the day, after 2 years it died. Sent it back, and in about a week I had a brand new 8800gt at my door (since the 7800s were out of production)

They're really great with dealing with customers
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 11:41:46 AM

I went for the xfx. The cheap price, the reviews for the card, and the lifetime warranty and pretty much made it a no-brainer. Only reason I didn't go for the gtx is because of temperature, noise, and I'm not sure my PSU could have powered. I have a Corsair 550, and even then, I'm a bit worried about the 5850.
m
l
July 17, 2010 11:42:23 AM

Best answer selected by gldtiamat.
m
l
!