Dead pci-e slot or graphics card?

jspeake

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I have a Gateway 5253 with integrated graphics.

The capacitors in my old video card (an EVGA nVidia 7600GT, PCI-E) blew last week. They made a firecracker sound and the caps are clearly blown.

The card did work a few mins on a few boot ups before I noticed the physical damage and removed it.

I purchased a new card- a Galaxy nVidia 220 (PCI-E)from Best Buy. The card was recognized for about a minute then video went off. After that I could not get windows to recognize the new card and had to rely on the integrated video (nVidia 6100).

Thinking it was a bad card, I returned in and purchased a better card (EVGA nVidia 240, PCI-E).

I've now installed that card. It isn't recognized. I get nothing when I plug the monitor into it, yet the video works fine with the integrated video.

I obviously can't play any games with the onboard video.

Is the PCI-E slot bad, and if so, does that mean a new MB (basically a new computer)?

Is there something I'm missing?

One thing.. the Gateway BIOS won't let me disable integrated video-- it's supposed to be automatic and recognize when something's plugged into the PCI-E slot.

I disabled the integrated video through device manager, but it still did not recognize the new card.