Sign in with
Your question

Storage Drive

Last response: in Storage
November 23, 2012 9:17:08 PM

Hi,

I have about 15 old HDD's I have built up over the years and it has gotten out of control. All of them are full of data so I will need a good 2TB hdd to back them up all onto one drive as I will be upgrading my system soon and can't bear trying to constantly hot-swap a bunch of old IDE drives. :D 

I was looking at the "WD Green 2 TB WD20EARS" drive. It seems to be the cheapest 2TB right now.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

More about : storage drive

a c 353 G Storage
November 23, 2012 10:14:47 PM

Not a Lover of WD "Green" drives. Not because they are low performance, but I find there reliability to be not that great. Reliability is a big issue with me, and for this reason Only currently recommending the WD blacks or the Samsung F3 for consumer drives. Enterprise drives would be great but there is a fair price jump.

Compare:
WD Green: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
WD Black: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 23, 2012 11:31:10 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The WD Black you linked is only 1TB.

What about the Samsung F3 you mentioned? Which one would you got for out of the two?
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
November 23, 2012 11:41:30 PM

I find the 1 TB drives appear to be more reliable than the larger drives.
I prefer the Samsung F3's which are a sata II drive also 1 TB.
However, recently Samsung sold their oem drives to Seagate. Only saving grace is that the F3 is still made in the same plant, by the same people.

Seagate - I quit buying after their -11 problems
November 23, 2012 11:51:16 PM

that's a shame as the Seagate 2TB Barracuda drives are dirt cheap. (ST2000DM001)

I can't afford 2 x $100 for the same capacity tbh! I live in the U.K by the way, not that it makes much of a difference seen as price wise the gap is the same over here.

Any other advice? No to WD Green, no to Seagate... :( 
a c 353 G Storage
November 24, 2012 12:57:36 AM

Your Call
Enjoy
!