Upgrade problems

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
So I'm upgrading my system from a OEM HP. But i have a problem when i put all my new parts on my new MOBO it wouldn't get past the logo for windows 7. From what i'v gathered i need to do a fresh install due to driver issues im told, I would really rather not do this. My idea is this i have 2 hard drives one has about 50 GB of unpartitioned space can I unplug the drive with my old windows 7 , install a fresh copy on drive 2 boot with that , and then plug my original drive in and if so will i be able to access drive 1. to summarize i wanna do a fresh install on a second drive then put drive one back in and run off that can i do this?

system specs.
-6GB MHz 4-4-4-12 Samsung
-ASUS 4870 1GB MEM
- 2 500GB WESTERN DIGITAL HD (windows 7 installed on drive 1 ) ( files and back up on drive 2)
- intel core 2 quad Q9300 2.5GHz
-Corsair 750 watt PSU

-ASUS P5G41C-M LX LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Board I'm trying to install)

-ASUS IPIBL-LB mother board (Board currently installed)

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I hate to burst your bubble, but Windows attaches itself with the Mobo of the installed system and any subsequent change in the mobo brings about the necessity to re-install & call MS customer care to ask for a new key on the pretext of changing a dead mobo.

AltarisPaladine

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Have you actually tested that? the calling MS for a new "free of charge" windows 7 key, with a "dead mobo" as a qualifier? whats to prevent "knowledgeable" individuals from taking advantage of that?

Also, i've used windows 7 keys on multiple computers and on the same computer multiple times, and unless MS has found some way to send your mobo's information to themselves I doubt it would actually "attach" itself to a mobo.. just wipe and reinstall, most of the UPnP drivers with windows should recognize all of your hardware on at least a "its there" level

itouchedyou

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
If I understand you correctly, what you want to do is put in what is your current secondary RIGHT NOW, and install Windows 7 onto it. Once that is done, you want to plug in your current primary/boot drive, but run it as the new secondary, with your current secondary as your new boot drive?

Tbh I think that will work assuming Windows is able to be installed onto your current secondary hard drive. I get Windows 7 Keys from university via MSDN Academic Alliance and have used one key on multiple systems without errors, but that might be different compared with normal copies.

To summarise:
-Your current secondary hard drive will become your new boot/primary drive
-Your current boot/primary drive will become your secondary drive, with all files currently on it accessible.

You might have pathing issues when using software off your current boot drive because it will be called your D: or E: drive. If that happens just rename your drives to how they are now and it should sort itself out, that happened to me once. Swapping hard drives/motherboards its the worst part of system upgrades....

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Everybody does that. It's not advantage taking, it's called prudence.

And if you talk 'bout advantage taking by 'knowledgeable' individuals, well they don't even pay $100 for Home Premium. They just get the Ultimate edition for free :)

Thank God for ImgBurn & what would we do without messers Daz, Hazer and Orbit? :D

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, Windows does send your system info to Microsoft & there's a class action lawsuit against them for installation of a spyware called - and you might have heard of it - 'Windows Activation Technology'.

TRENDING THREADS