Sign in with
Your question

Need help building new $1000 computer

Last response: in Systems
August 21, 2010 7:57:20 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (This week sometime.)

BUDGET RANGE: (800-1200 before rebates)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (Gaming, schoolwork, surfing the internet)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (OS)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (www.newegg.com)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (USA)

PARTS PREFERENCES: (No parts preference)

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (Depends on suggested monitor)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (Any help would be appreciated. This is the first computer I have built and I have no idea what I'm doing.)

More about : building 1000 computer

Related resources
August 21, 2010 10:44:06 AM

@ Batuchka

You do realize, that he asked for a 1100 dollar build, right? And not a 600-800 dollar one.

And also that the 760 Intel build rapes the 955 AMD build silly.

Let's dissect this 1 by 1 -

Better PSU. Faster RAM. Much better monitor - your's will look washed out & leave a trail behind while watching fast moving objects.

Not to mention a much higher benchmarked CPU - 760 vs 955 - cpubenchmark

I also gave him the 955 option (with a better chipset - 890GX).
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 11:51:07 AM

Poor choice, overpriced 8/8 AM3 IMO @ $150 as i would rather hit a 890FX Biostar/Asrock rather than any 890GX at that price but still

Quote:
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

so u can give him the 'best chipset' like a
890FX and u only achieve wasting more $$
and

Quote:
BUDGET RANGE: (800-1200 before rebates)
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (OS)

so better give TS an idea what the lower point of that range can do with carefully picked out parts

actually our very own forums has stated a humble Rana 4xx good enuff for a gaming rig ^^ By the way i've seen your recommendations: guess u the type that equates spending more = better hehe
m
l
August 21, 2010 5:13:20 PM

batuchka said:
actually our very own forums has stated a humble Rana 4xx good enuff for a gaming rig ^^ By the way i've seen your recommendations: guess u the type that equates spending more = better hehe
No sir, I don't. It's just that good enough is sometimes not good enough. That's why people have a budget IMO. If you can afford a 760 based system, you don't really wanna look at a Rana. The 955, maybe but not the Rana.

I myself have recommended the Rana 440/445 previously only to find that you've come up with a Propus 620-640 recommendation for a gaming build.

In any case, the higher up the price range you go, AMD seriously makes less & less sense & Intel becomes the obvious choice IMHO

BTW, without insinuating anything, why do I never find you recommending Intel? Do you have any disclosures 'bout your relationship with AMD?

@ Panicfly

Go with the 955 I linked, if you want slightly better value & can't afford the 760. Go with the 760 if you want a better, more powerful system overall.

The lower price point was achieved by compromising on the RAM, PSU and Monitor quality. Just to let you know. Your call.
m
l
a b C Monitor
August 21, 2010 5:31:27 PM

Unless one needs the sheer brute force of the Gulftown 980X more often than not there are very much more wallet friendly alternatives and i would say TS should be moving to a HD 5870 for a gaming config if budget is expanded from my earler config for best gains for gaming ^^
m
l
August 27, 2010 3:36:23 AM

Thanks to both of you for all your help. Just put the computer together today and it works great. I really appreciate everything.
m
l
!