SSD connect to HDD information

spreak41

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
i just bought a new 120GB SSD and i installed windows 7 on it. When it started, it opened like new. Is there a way the SSD and my old HHD can share information? Can i have my old apps from hhd on the ssd desktop and not put the information on the ssd but take it from the hdd?

Solution
YES, when you open your hdd and you want that folder on your SSD (only a shortcut) not the folder contents. Grab the folder from the hdd and while parking it on your desktop hold cntrl and shift. You will see the folder and an arrow, signifying a shortcut. When you want something out of the hdd hit that shortcut an voila you are in that folder. To tell your computer where you want your downloads to go you need to do that differently. I forget ATM it is under preferences or tools in your browser I think. Google it with they type of browser you are using. Use this search phrase~ " selecting download folder "

Edit: added search phrase

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
YES, when you open your hdd and you want that folder on your SSD (only a shortcut) not the folder contents. Grab the folder from the hdd and while parking it on your desktop hold cntrl and shift. You will see the folder and an arrow, signifying a shortcut. When you want something out of the hdd hit that shortcut an voila you are in that folder. To tell your computer where you want your downloads to go you need to do that differently. I forget ATM it is under preferences or tools in your browser I think. Google it with they type of browser you are using. Use this search phrase~ " selecting download folder "

Edit: added search phrase

Solution

spreak41

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

thank you. one more thing, when i use the SSD all my stuff needs to be driver updated but i can't go online because my modem also needs to update but i no longer have the disc to it. can i transfer driver data from HHD to SSD and if i can where would i find it?

You can go to the device manager and see if it's listed there and if it is right click on it and select properties and one of the tabs is for the driver.
You can go to the control panel and you should see the driver listed there and what it looks like so you could do a search of your computer for that driver and when you find it then you can transfer it.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
If you grab your updates before you take your computer down, would be best. Then put that folder on a thumb drive and install it.

You can also go get the drivers online at the manufacturers website create a folder on your desktop and then grab them that way. You can tell what drivers need an update under your device manager there will be yellow flags next to what drivers need to be attended to. However I do not see how a new drive would make you need a new driver for your modem? That driver should be there under device manager. Read inzone's post slowly and follow his steps to find your folders. Or you can google How to find my drivers on whatever O/S you are using. Microsoft should have the steps as well if you are using Win

Inzone has given the steps to grab the drivers that already installed on your computer.

spreak41

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
i tried to play games from my HHD from my SSD but it says some files are missing and when i try to go into my HDD C:/user/spreak the thing on the top just keeps loading never finishes.

netcommercial

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

Ok sorry for the delay HBOxing was on. Your message was unclear. I am guessing you parked your video games on your hdd and want to try and play them from your ssd? You need to load all your programs on your C drive. So that includes your video games.

The hdd will be for storage of stuff. This is why many are opting for a 256gb c drive ssd instead of the 60gb some suggest. If you do not load many programs on your ssd then a smaller drive should suffice. You have 120gb drive a few games and your OS system and you should be good to go. Am I missing something like where Steam is parking your files? If I am not mistaken Steam is a cloud or server storage to keep your maps, stats etc... Try and elaborate on your hick-up over there. Google is helpful when looking for error solutions. IE: Error 1000005#-6 or whatever some files missing when executing whatever. Google that and you may find a solution on another forum, from someone who may have spent days troubleshooting it. Hope this helps.